Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2009, 10:27 AM

3,570 posts, read 8,706,720 times

Advertisements

Has anyone ever grilled a whole chicken rotisserie style on the grill? I remember my dad doing it when I was a kid and it was amazing. I want to attempt to do this for my wife on Mother's Day. I'm a pretty darned good cook so I know I can do it, but just have to find the right tools and recipe. Any ideas? And what about kid-friendly side dishes for this meal? My son is a super picky eater and my daughter, well she sure trys her best. They're under 10 so we're still working on them.

Any help would be so appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2009, 12:35 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,225,824 times
We do it, and it's good. We just season it with lawrey's seasoned salt and let 'er go. Not sure what kind of tips you're looking for. I hope that helped at least a little bit. Sometimes we throw BBQ sauce on towards the end, sometimes we marinate it. I'm sure that brining would make it really nice and moist, too, but I haven't tried that yet. Good luck! Oh, and roast beef is good that way too.

Old 05-08-2009, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoresnow View Post
We do it, and it's good. We just season it with lawrey's seasoned salt and let 'er go. Not sure what kind of tips you're looking for. I hope that helped at least a little bit. Sometimes we throw BBQ sauce on towards the end, sometimes we marinate it. I'm sure that brining would make it really nice and moist, too, but I haven't tried that yet. Good luck! Oh, and roast beef is good that way too.
Thanks! I can always count on you to help out!! I guess what I'm looking for in addition to your comment is what type of equipment do I need to buy for my grill? Is it cheap? How long did you grill that whole chicken? Do you boil the chicken a little so it doesn't take as long to cook?

Old 05-08-2009, 01:36 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,225,824 times
OK, that helps.

You just need the rotisserie itself. Is it a gas or charcoal? The rotisserie should say what it will fit. We paid about $35 for ours, but you can pay lots more than that if you want to. If I remember, it took about 2 hours to do it, but it will depend on how big the chicken is. You'll need to tie it onto the spit so it doesn't flop all over the place. Not too tight, just tight enough to keep it all together. I wouldn't boil it.

It does take a while, but it's worth it, and it can be a nice, social thing, too. ALl the family hangin' 'round the grill, watching the bird go around, and around, and around....

Let me know how it turns out, ok?

Old 05-08-2009, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoresnow View Post
OK, that helps.

You just need the rotisserie itself. Is it a gas or charcoal? The rotisserie should say what it will fit. We paid about $35 for ours, but you can pay lots more than that if you want to. If I remember, it took about 2 hours to do it, but it will depend on how big the chicken is. You'll need to tie it onto the spit so it doesn't flop all over the place. Not too tight, just tight enough to keep it all together. I wouldn't boil it.

It does take a while, but it's worth it, and it can be a nice, social thing, too. ALl the family hangin' 'round the grill, watching the bird go around, and around, and around....

Let me know how it turns out, ok?
Thanks! I will definitely let you know how it goes. Maybe I'll shoot some video of it going round and round and round and up it on Youtube so you can watch too!

We have a gas grill. I think it's Weber but not sure. I'll have to check out a local Wal-mart or Super Target to see if they have it. Thanks again!!

Old 05-12-2009, 08:38 AM

Well it went badly. I burned the skin and then turned down the fire, then when it was ready, or so I thought I peeled the burnt skin off and the meat was juicy and a wonderful flavor. Would've been better had I left it on the grill for another hour! We microwaved it and it dried out. Ugh. Well I learned what not to do, so next time it will be better...I hope!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink