Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2009, 05:50 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,518,342 times

Advertisements

Yep Ole Broken Tap is cooking...with an oven and everything. Now for those of you that don't know, my cooking skills are not very good. In fact the last time I cooked it was a disaster. It was of Lamb Casserole and how could anyone mess up a casserole?

Well the cooking instructions said buy minced meat, at which I did. I followed every instruction to a T but it never said a word about most mince meat being pre-cooked. Apparently they think everyone has gotten that minced meat memo. Sorry I was in diesel tech school when that memo was passed in home economics class! So my casserole came out...well...entirely raw. Despite having lamb in it (insert shameless promotional post for lamb meat here as I am a sheep farmer) it did not taste good. I doubt even a coyote would have ate that stuff!

But today my Grandmother said she wanted Baby Back Ribs, and by golly when my 84 year old Grandmother, who lives by herself right across the road from me wants something, she gets it. After all if it wasn't for her, the farm would have been gone years ago. She's a good woman!

So what's for supper?

Well I made some stuff called German Potato Salad which is red potatoes sliced thin and mixed with an assortment of bacon, onions, flour and vinegar, topped with tarragon leaves and a hint of cinnamon. For garnish on that I used fresh slices of lemon arranged on the side and added rosemary sprigs for color and appeal!

Next to that is desert. Granted the dessert is pre-bought Tarimsu with fresh whip cream added to the top in a dollop, some tastefully arranged fresh peach slices in a semi-circle with another sprig of rosemary added for color and garnish.

As for the ribs. I used a special marinade that was a few weeks in the making...literally! Now I might not be able to cook but this good ole boy can cook up some mean mash if you know what I mean. That was mixed with brown sugar, honey, ginger, cinnamon and nutmeg, basted and marinaded for the past 4 hours in the refrigerator. I roasted the ribs in the oven for 20 minutes per side and then finished them off on the barbecue grill.

Will it taste okay? I have no idea as I am not a cook, but I am afraid the heat and flames might flash off the nearly pure alcohol from my mash. We will see if you can still taste it when I am done. Even if it does not taste good, it looks good!
Attached Thumbnails
Oh No...I'm Cooking Again!-ribs-small.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2009, 06:16 AM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,263,356 times
Sounds terrific, BT. How'd it turn out? Did gramma like it?

Old 05-09-2009, 07:41 AM

9,912 posts, read 13,902,308 times
Well it looks and sounds impressive!

Let us know how it tasted?

Old 05-09-2009, 07:57 AM

1,121 posts, read 3,665,697 times
The best ingredient in any dish is love. You obviously have an abundance of that.

Old 05-09-2009, 12:04 PM
Gue

24,118 posts, read 10,142,567 times
Looks fabulous!

Hope your Grandmother enjoyed it~I just would never think of an 84 year old eating ribs.

She must have good teeth!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink