Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2010, 01:52 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,809,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
The only point I made or tried to make is if you aren't willing to give other working people a gratuity then don't ask them to work for you.
Based on your beliefs, you must either tip EVERYONE who does anything for you during the course of doing their job or you must tip NO ONE.

Since I doubt you tip the teller at the bank who cashes a check for you or the nurse at the doctor's office who takes your blood pressure, I'm going to assume NO ONE is the answer.

Old 05-13-2010, 01:53 PM

540 posts, read 1,329,670 times
I very rarely eat out, but when I do, I tip 20%

The only reason I dine out is a rare family or friend obligation.

I don't worry about someone intentionally sabotaging my meal, because I am sure it has already been sabotaged by the staff's lazy hygiene, the bad habits in the kitchen, and their improper food storage

Old 05-13-2010, 01:58 PM

1,327 posts, read 3,678,809 times
I don't eat out nearly as much as I used to , but I usually leave a solid 20%. The service has to be really bad for me to leave a smaller tip or no tip. I can only recall one time I left no tip.

Old 05-13-2010, 02:03 PM

3,301 posts, read 11,717,786 times
Quote:
Did you see me say I noticed??? The law should be any foreign object placed in a food item by a food server constitutes attempted poisoning.. I'm not worrying I do tip..but they damned sure better worry.

..While we're on the subject of childish and immoral behavior..what do you do when the waiter /waitress give lousy service??? Wipe a bugar under their apron???
I was just saying that in order to relocate someone's butt, you'd have to know that they did something to your food. Not to mention the whole health and potential legal issues, which the servers are aware of and would probably like to avoid. I'm not saying that it's right for them to do so, just that it happens.

As far as childish behavior on the customer's part....have you ever seen PassiveAggressiveNotes.com?

http://www.passiveaggressivenotes.co...ver-is-cranky/

Old 05-13-2010, 02:09 PM

2,015 posts, read 3,381,271 times
If I've had bad service - rude, takes way too long, never checks on meal or asks if I want something else, then I have left no tip. Had an really obnoxious waitress once and left her a penny.

Old 05-13-2010, 02:09 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,676,925 times
When I sit down, the server is at 20%. I will adjust up or down accordingly, and I am not afraid to leave a big fat ZERO for bad service. (This only happens once a year.)

It would be nice if the industry changed so that meals were inclusive of the gratuity, but that's not the way things are. If I can't afford to tip, I don't go out to eat that night. It's take out instead.

Old 05-13-2010, 02:22 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,841,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juniperbleu View Post
I was just saying that in order to relocate someone's butt, you'd have to know that they did something to your food. Not to mention the whole health and potential legal issues, which the servers are aware of and would probably like to avoid. I'm not saying that it's right for them to do so, just that it happens.

As far as childish behavior on the customer's part....have you ever seen PassiveAggressiveNotes.com?

Why waiting tables totally sucks | PassiveAggressiveNotes.com — funny (if not necessarily "passive-aggressive") notes from pissed-off people
This is my overall point. All the more reason to force employers to pay these people a full living wage. To avoid all these potential problems. The U.S. gov't can't keep tabs on tips and gratuities. Some make a killing on tips others don't. I've explained in detail elsewhere that employers like it both ways. But, I'm tired of explaining. Make them pay these people a full salary. Then when the price of food reflects this we'll see how many still leave 20%... I believe many more will be choosing to stay home. The food is safer usually and certainly cheaper. Then we can all tip for the reasons we choose. I realize current and former people of the industry see tipping in only one light..the more the better. Who wouldn't?? Especially if you were doing your best to earn what you should have been paid to begin with.

Old 05-13-2010, 02:22 PM

6,777 posts, read 13,554,748 times
Quote:
I can guarantee if "someone" put something extra in my or my family's food their butt would be relocated just under their head between their shoulders. Then I'd drag them kicking and screaming to the authorities. They'd wish the authorities had found them first I "Guarantee"!!!
[/b]
You wouldn't know.

Old 05-13-2010, 02:32 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,841,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
You wouldn't know.
Guess I'd have to assume they're all guilty..

Old 05-13-2010, 02:36 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,929,122 times
I put myself through college working for tips. So YES I tip often as I eat out often. Breakfast it maybe 10-15%, after that usually 20% or more if its a place I frequent.

On occasion I get bad service, I leave a nickel, that tells they server they sucked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink