Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2010, 02:43 PM

6,777 posts, read 13,547,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
Guess I'd have to assume they're all guilty..
If you're running all over town leaving crappy tips when there is nothing wrong w/ the service you might as well. Might want to check for your name on bad tipper websites too.

Old 05-13-2010, 02:46 PM

2,015 posts, read 3,379,514 times
Only the US pays such a low wage to servers that they have to depend on tips. As far as I know only in the US is 15-20% the norm for tips. 10% is max in many countries.

Old 05-13-2010, 02:51 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,798,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
If you're running all over town leaving crappy tips when there is nothing wrong w/ the service you might as well. Might want to check for your name on bad tipper websites too.
I'm a superb tipper. Where did you get this info?????????? I generally sling open the wallet and let them take what they want if the service was good. I tip 20-40% - skies the limit according to service. Just trying to get these people a working wage. Why all the fuss?? These people shouldn't have to depend on your pittance for their salary. Simple!!!! Until we fix the stupid law by all means tip like there's no tomorrow.

Old 05-13-2010, 04:31 PM

2,480 posts, read 5,317,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulips4you2 View Post
I managed a fine dining restaurant and lounge for 14 years. Bartended for 7. My Mom waitressed for 26 years and at age 13 I had my first job as her busser. A server makes $2.65 an hour + tips. Which by law he/she is required to claim a percentage of their total sales (10% would be the absolute minimum) The server tips the bartender 5%-10% of their total tips AND 10% to the bus person as the busser makes $2.65 an hour as well. I have seen a lot of different types of people in those years. The number 1 goal is to ensure guest satisfaction, if you are not happy with your server/service immediately inform a manager/supervisor/owner to correct any issues or concerns you have.
Most service issues are not the fault of the server. The cook burns your steak, not the server. The glass is dirty, the dishwasher washes those. Your salad is spoiled, the prep cook makes those in the morning. Your White Russian is taking a long time...the bartender makes that and the server has to wait for your drink as they are not allowed behind the bar. Your server isn't stopping back by your table because she/he has to many other tables, the hostess isn't following the seating chart or the supervisor on shift has giving this server to many tables in their section. It is easy on a digital touch screen computer (that we used for all those years) to touch blu che instead of bl blue, which would be why your steak wasn't black and blue and had blue cheese on it. I once worked with a GREAT server named Jeff, he had Lupus or Deb who's husband had recently commited suicide. They have to SMILE and be happy no matter what may come. I have never worked with a server who was intentional "giving bad service" EVER.
Great post! Many aspects are not within control of the server.it My daughter is a server at Red Robin. She is a people person and gives great service. I have witnessed it. She is dedicated and was one of the first at an early age to be a trainer. This is a part time time job but she is dedicated.

She has told us countless stories of tables who where very demanding and leave less than 10%-then there are people who are less than demanding and leave a 50% tip!
Well whatever-this helps her pay bills while being a full time student. She loves it there!

Old 05-13-2010, 05:13 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,798,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Based on your beliefs, you must either tip EVERYONE who does anything for you during the course of doing their job or you must tip NO ONE.

Since I doubt you tip the teller at the bank who cashes a check for you or the nurse at the doctor's office who takes your blood pressure, I'm going to assume NO ONE is the answer.
Based on my beliefs everyone deserves tipping if anyone does. If they perform their job well... Because wait staff and food servers are shorted pay by their employers does not equal you owe them a salary. I don't care if the employers are ripping off their employees legally or not!!! Myself and my family are very good tippers. We know the servers are dependent on customers good graces. Not fair to them though. They deserve a full salary. Period! Have I never not left a tip ?? Certainly. Surely there had to be an instance. In fact there have been times where I should have sued the establishment. Is 20 or 90% a figure stuck in my head as you must leave this much..certainly not. People who wait on me are happy to see me trust me. Shame though...they should be happy to have work and a steady paycheck. Not dribbles left by people they serve.

Assumptions are like elbows everybody has a couple.

Last edited by SATX56; 05-13-2010 at 05:35 PM.. Reason: changed leg to like....

Old 05-13-2010, 05:28 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,193,173 times
I tipped $3 on a $17 bill once, that was about as low as it goes.

I wait tables in a restaurant in the summer and I bust my butt too make sure I get people everything they need. I was actually working Thanksgiving, and I was getting crazy distracted by a million other tables. They brought it to my attention and I gladly comped their desserts..

Needless to say, that was quite a record day for tips. lol.

Old 05-13-2010, 05:33 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,808,426 times
I've never not left a tip, ever.

Old 05-13-2010, 05:37 PM

6,883 posts, read 11,237,132 times
Smile Leaving a tip

I always leave a tip.

If I am unhappy, I let the manager know.

Old 05-13-2010, 08:00 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,556,021 times
My wife has a way to express a tip. Bad service gets the manager on duty a note written on a napkin what TIP means and says to give this tip to the server. 0% is to much when service is shoddy. I don't expect entilement to the meal and servers who don't serve well are not automatically entitled to my dollars. The last place me wife left her specialized tip is out of business. Manager and server had to find new job or even career. We tip according to service not according to custom. Customize sorry/shoddy service with hefty tips they won't learn and the same old same old will continue. 2¢ of my thoughts on the matter.

Old 05-13-2010, 08:02 PM

897 posts, read 1,687,864 times
I use a debit card,but I give a few extra dollars if service is good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink