Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2010, 09:38 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,579,111 times

Advertisements

When I see my server standing and gabbing with other servers by the drink refill station and my tea glass staying empty it makes no diff what they are being paid. The tip just went down the drain.

Old 05-14-2010, 09:45 AM

1,895 posts, read 3,415,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
When I see my server standing and gabbing with other servers by the drink refill station and my tea glass staying empty it makes no diff what they are being paid. The tip just went down the drain.
can't really argue with that...

Old 05-14-2010, 09:08 PM

12,540 posts, read 2,138,191 times
I agree. If the waitperson never refills a drink, I don't like to leave a tip. Especially when I (or everyone at the table) places their drink glasses near the edge of the table to make it obvious.

Old 05-15-2010, 01:41 PM

3,175 posts, read 3,654,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 401402 View Post
i never leave a tip when i dine alone......i work just as hard.....if they need more money get a second job!
How rude and completely selfish.
When you work all week, you get a paycheck so you have money to eat out. The server has to pay income tax on what you eat!
They clean everything so it is nice for you, they have to clean up after you. You sit at their table that has been assigned to them so they can buy their childrens food.
I feel sick.

Old 05-17-2010, 07:32 AM

681 posts, read 2,359,516 times
This past week I was at a local Italian restaurant with my parents and overheard a waitress talking to customers (friends) at the next table. She was discussing Mother's Day diners and how they don't tip like average customers. I guess they are a special breed!

It seems that for Mother's Day, many people who normally don't dine out beyond fast food decide to take their mommies to a GOOD restaurant - but of course they aren't used to tipping so they skip that part, or they leave $2 because they couldn't afford the meal in the first place.

I know a guy who's a terrible tipper. He has an entitlement attitude and doesn't see why the waitstaff deserve to be rewarded with 15%+ tips for doing a good job - because it's their job to be a good server - good service is EXPECTED (why reward them for what they should be doing anyhow?). He's also 45 and still single. Ohhhh, snap.

Old 05-17-2010, 07:42 AM

[quote=KittySkyfish;14210214]It seems that for Mother's Day, many people who normally don't dine out beyond fast food decide to take their mommies to a GOOD restaurant - but of course they aren't used to tipping so they skip that part, or they leave $2 because they couldn't afford the meal in the first place.[/qoute]

i usually don't go out to dinners on holidays, but when i do, i generally over tip, due to the servers having to work!

Old 05-17-2010, 07:47 AM

947 posts, read 2,423,144 times
AND the thing is, the waiter/waitress are also paying the busboy and bartender's salary, too. They have to TIP them. It's a f**ked up system with only the owners benefitting. So if a server is stiffed, they still pay out to the bus and bar.

Old 05-17-2010, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaloneJill View Post
AND the thing is, the waiter/waitress are also paying the busboy and bartender's salary, too. They have to TIP them. It's a f**ked up system with only the owners benefitting. So if a server is stiffed, they still pay out to the bus and bar.

the good news is, as a server, part of the job is taking the "good" with the "bad", and not letting that affect your job with the next table...

overall, in my umpteen years in the business, the "good" far outweighed the "bad"...also, that skill is easily transferable to another restaraunt, so if a good server is at a place that is on a decline, or attracts low lifes...it's time to pick up and find another place!

Old 05-17-2010, 08:35 AM

947 posts, read 2,423,144 times
Yes, I have worked in the food industry for years, also. I cooked, bartended, and served. There is good and bad with any job and serving is a job that is flexible and lucrative. However, there are people out there that don't realize servers work on tips and when they don't tip, they actually are taking money away from the server who has to pay out to others.

Old 05-17-2010, 08:39 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,025,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaloneJill View Post
Yes, I have worked in the food industry for years, also. I cooked, bartended, and served. There is good and bad with any job and serving is a job that is flexible and lucrative. However, there are people out there that don't realize servers work on tips and when they don't tip, they actually are taking money away from the server who has to pay out to others.
We always tip. Even if the service is poor, we leave 15%. If the service is good, we tip more.

However, I had no idea that non-tippers (or poor tippers) are actually "taking money away from the server who has to pay out to others." That's really good information to know ...and is NOT information that is generally known to the public.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink