Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 08:40 AM

256 posts, read 453,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
<snip>

I've had camel but not raw. It was quite tough as a meat ( though I might just have been given an older camel to eat) and chewy . Perfectly edible though. It would have been better cooked a very long time I suspect to break the protein fibres.
Hmmm - slowcooker roast camel with cactus as the veggie?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2009, 02:39 PM

13,026 posts, read 24,626,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlemom View Post
Hmmm - slowcooker roast camel with cactus as the veggie?
Sounds good , I am thinking maybe a Moroccan style "Camel Tagine" with couscous and a cactus salad.... Maybe I should start marketing it ? Somehow I don't think most Western countries would be my prime market though....

Cactus is lovely in salads .

Old 05-23-2009, 02:53 PM

3,872 posts, read 8,710,771 times
Whole Stuffed Camel Recipe : Recipezaar

Old 05-23-2009, 05:34 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,461,558 times
Frog legs.....and they were delicious!

Kangaroo....not so much.

Old 05-23-2009, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8doglove View Post
Frog legs.....and they were delicious! <SNIP>.
Frog legs are great! There's a restaurant used to be in Waycross GA (may still be there) called The Green Frog that served delicious frog legs! Their motto was (is) "Service with a hop!"

The attachment was a postcard advert from there in the '30's. I last ate there about 1979 or 1980.

Cheerio!
Turtlemom
Attached Thumbnails
Deep Fried baby chickens: What is the strangest food you have ever eaten?-greenfrogrestaurant.jpg  

Old 05-23-2009, 07:24 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,448,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8doglove View Post
Frog legs.....and they were delicious!

Kangaroo....not so much.

Oh, okay... now I remember. I did have frog legs once in Thailand. They were very spicy and tasted good, as I recall, but I was a kid, and I wasn't really quite sure what they did with the rest of the frog.

Old 05-24-2009, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
Oh, okay... now I remember. I did have frog legs once in Thailand. They were very spicy and tasted good, as I recall, but I was a kid, and I wasn't really quite sure what they did with the rest of the frog.
Rest of the frog doesn't have much meat on it. They only use the legs and toss out the rest. Probably use the remains for pet food.

Old 05-24-2009, 11:31 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,831,906 times
Quote:

I agree about the scorpions, I thought they had an almost hazelnut taste to them.

Termites are a bit like pineapple ( I know it's weird ) , Preying Mantis is a bit like an earthy flavoured Prawn, Grubs are quite meaty ( and very tasty) , Ants taste very different species from species from being quite sweet to an almost smoked "jerky" flavour.

I think a lot of our distaste towards it simply a cultural habit, something we are not used to and looks a bit repellent becomes almost a gastronomic taboo. If you follow that rationale though , nobody would be eating King Prawns, Oysters, Mussels, Lobster, Crabs, Clams etc...

I would much rather eat grubs than marshmallows or Hersheys chocolate anyday myself but I know I am in the minority !

As an Arachnophobe I have never been able to eat a spider ( roasted Spider was very popular int he Amazon and Papua New Guinea) but I suspect my own taboos regarding food would not last long if I was actually starving !

It's funny how good food can look when you haven't eated in 3 or 4 days ....

Our perception of food is literally all in the mind. Culture and environment shape who we are, what we eat, what we wear, what we like and dislike etc... It's a shame as there are a lot of really interesting stuff out there if someone is willing to try.
The worst that can happen is feeling a bit sick . Not too bad a price ( which has actually only happened to me a couple of times - Did I mention seal blubber/intestines/ and rotten shark's meat ?!?! I defy most Westernised people to eat those with relish)
This is one of my wife's favorite foods.

When we first got married, I'd walk into the kitchen - not knowing she'd just cracked open a package of natto - and say, "Woah! Do you smell that? What IS that?!!" and she'd look at me so mean.

Eventually I learned. And yes, I've tried it - twice - 'cuz I give things two shots. And I've never touched it again. I can't get past the smell.

Nattō - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-24-2009, 12:52 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,448,141 times
I guess some foods are an acquired taste.

Old 05-24-2009, 01:08 PM

1,116 posts, read 2,963,609 times
Quote:

Cactus is lovely in salads .
I seriously hate to be the gutter mind in this thread..but has anyone who's had nopal cactus notice the taste and texture to be somewhat..well... like semen?

I have three mexican friends who swear this to be true, so I tried it once and it really does!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink