Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 07:56 AM

5,501 posts, read 22,449,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
Steak Tartare is sooooooooooo delicious , just thinking about it is making me hungry !

I love 28 day minimum aged beef, I always think beef freshly slaughtered is actually quite bland ( same with Venison, and other game ) .
You can hardly ever get Steak Tartare in the UK, Brits are notoriously squeamish about their meat being rare ( or raw in this particular case).
I love raw meat and sashimi.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2009, 08:52 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,628,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
I love raw meat and sashimi.
Do you like Carpaccio and Ceviche too ? We should have a raw fest !
I miss it so much , being in the UK is a Tartare free-zone...

I had Horse Tartare in Mongolia years ago which was absolutely gorgeous ,all the better because a lot of the horse meat there was usually a tad on the chewy and tough side...

I horrified the chefs in a "Mongolian" restaurant in Glasgow once by simply picking the food up ,adding some sauce on the side and walking away without having it cooked. They were looking a bit green around the gills and I thought they would have a fit.

I was told on countless occasions by the butcher/deli assistants to cook my meat until it is basically like shoe leather ( with even less flavour) and one of the supermarkets here even tells you on their Burgers packaging to cook them for 30 minutes ! 30 minutes. I might as well chew an old pair of boots and save some money !

Actually can anyone recommend a good place for Steak Tartare or Ceviche in New England as I am coming this Fall ?

Old 05-28-2009, 10:07 AM

5,501 posts, read 22,449,461 times
Mooseketeer,

England is not known for it's food, I'm afraid. When I visited, I noted a lot of bangs and mash and canned peas everywhere.

Where in New England are you planning to visit?

W.

Old 05-28-2009, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Mooseketeer,

England is not known for it's food, I'm afraid. When I visited, I noted a lot of bangs and mash and canned peas everywhere.

Where in New England are you planning to visit?

W.
The UK has improved a hell of a lot in the last 20 years but good restaurants can be so expensive ( and the UK has some of the best in Europe). I must admit at least now supermarkets stock a lot of more "ethnic" ingredients and people have a better awareness of good food. Well some anyway !

They still overcook everything though, meat and vegetables. I adore fruits and vegetables despite being a carnivourous fiend but in the UK everything tends to be boiled until it cries for mercy... I do miss French and Italian markets with sunshine in every stall of yummy goodness... I hardly ever order vegetables here any more as I have learnt that my Brussel Sprouts, Green Beans , Carrots etc... will all end up in a tasteless mush most places.

I'm getting married in Maine in October but we will be touring for 4 weeks for our honeymoon so New Hampshire, MA, Vermont, Me and if we can manage it maybe RI too. We know NE pretty well but any recommendations gratefully received !

I have a list of must try places food -wise. I intend this honeymoon to be gastro-heaven !

Old 05-28-2009, 10:23 AM

256 posts, read 453,102 times
Default Steak Tartare

Quote:
You can hardly ever get Steak Tartare in the UK, Brits are notoriously squeamish about their meat being rare ( or raw in this particular case).
So . . . make your own. It's safer. We usually get a large sirloin roast, trim up to 1/2 inch off all around, weigh, then use a meticulously clean grinder on the "large size" grind. Mix lightly with 1 raw eggs per pound, add salt and pepper. Eat on soda crackers (saltines in the US). Yummy! Hubby likes to put a thick sliced piece of bacon through on the fine grind setting, and mix that in, too.

To each his own!

Old 05-28-2009, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlemom View Post
So . . . make your own. It's safer. We usually get a large sirloin roast, trim up to 1/2 inch off all around, weigh, then use a meticulously clean grinder on the "large size" grind. Mix lightly with 1 raw eggs per pound, add salt and pepper. Eat on soda crackers (saltines in the US). Yummy! Hubby likes to put a thick sliced piece of bacon through on the fine grind setting, and mix that in, too.

To each his own!
I know, I know, I just hate "cooking"... And it always tastes better in a restaurant IMO anyway. I never like my own food as much as a good restaurant's.

Old 03-24-2010, 03:54 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,537,016 times
Quote:
For those wondering, Balut is softly boiled fetal duck egg. It's not cooked all the way through.
I ate this at my Aunt's place several weeks ago. I used to eat it quite often when i was younger, but not that into it anymore. That is a good pic of one, but i've eaten some where the embryo is a bit darker or i should say not as visually appealing. Certain stores take better care of their fetal duck egg than others.

Old 03-24-2010, 05:36 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,244,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlemom View Post

To each his own!
I love tartare. I usually make some from flank steak prior to cooking as a chef's reward.

Old 03-25-2010, 05:48 AM

1,126 posts, read 2,692,902 times
Lamprey. It's one of the oldest animals living today, a delicacy in Spain and Portugal. The cooking: it must be done while the lamprey is alive, the cook must slit its throat as the blood is what becomes the sauce.

Old 03-28-2010, 05:45 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,107,360 times
I've eaten frog legs and found them to be good. I recently was invited to dinner and after eating the meat, my host explained it was a cougar he had killer a week earlier. Tasted ok, but I probably would have hesitated eating it if I would have known first what it was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink