Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 07:41 PM

14 posts, read 142,843 times

Advertisements

May not apply to everyone, but....might help some.

Just thought I would share this email I received from Frigidaire/Electrolux....I found so much conflicting info out there as to whether or not it was safe to use a pressure canner on a flat top stove that I emailed the company this a.m. This is their response....

Thank you for contacting Electrolux Major Appliances with your question.

A smooth top range can be used for canning food. Here are some tips to
help you obtain the best results when canning on a glass cooktop:
*Always use flat surface bottomed cookware - medium (gauge) weight is best.
*Always start with hot water and a lid on top of the pan. It will take less
time for the water to come to a boil.
The larger and heavier the pan is, the longer it will take your water to
come to a boil.
*Use the largest surface element possible.
*Make sure the diameter of your pan does not extend over an inch of the
surface element.
*The maximum weight of the canner and it's contents should not exceed 50 pounds.

It is recommended not to use your surface elements continually all day for canning. There is a built-in limiter which allows the element to cycle on
and off to keep the glass from getting too hot and causing damage to the
cooktop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2009, 09:42 PM

821 posts, read 2,011,564 times
I have the flat glass top range and when I bought it was told not to use cast iron on it
for the first 10 yrs I didn't but then my husband puts a cast iron pan to cook sausage and gravy
the top survived
last year I used the pressure cooker on it and it did ok

Old 05-22-2009, 10:32 PM

14 posts, read 142,843 times
Sounds like something my husband would do!!

We bought a new house last year and I just had to have this stove....Did my first garden this year and from the looks of it I'll have stuff coming out my ears and wanted to can some of it. I've canned before but only on a regular coil top electric stove. Told hubby if he comes home from work one day and we have a new stove he'll know it didn't go well!!

Old 05-23-2009, 05:08 AM

1,063 posts, read 3,024,140 times
I cann on my flat top range every year. Last year it was going from morning to night time, just had to much stuff to can. No problem, but if something happens to it, oh well, we bought it used to see if we like it.

Old 07-02-2009, 06:56 PM

830 posts, read 2,712,056 times
Why no cast iron? I use my cast iron skillet on my glass cooktop every day.

Old 07-03-2009, 12:00 AM

5 posts, read 50,874 times
Default Same problem ............. some buddy help

well, I m also getting this problem even , I noticed a crack in my glass top of my stove yesterday and the crack runs across the whole top. Is there something I can buy or do to fix it and does anyone know if it will get worse or something happen if I continue to use my burners??? Stove is only a few years old so this really sucks.

Old 07-03-2009, 05:14 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,993,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcats View Post
Why no cast iron? I use my cast iron skillet on my glass cooktop every day.
cast iron can scratch the glass, so says the manufacturers

Old 08-09-2009, 04:33 AM

1 posts, read 36,091 times
Default cookware for flat top range

How flat must cookware be for use on a flat top range? I have All Clad brand cookware which I bought for use on an old "small burner" sears solid burner range. The biggest burner was only about 7 inches in diameter and for a 12 inch frypan it was a joke so I needed good conducting cookware. The bottoms are not warped but are not perfectly flat like some "machined surface" cookware. Is that ok for the flat top electrolux range? Reading the manual it acts like there is NO correct cookware?

Old 08-15-2012, 10:30 AM

430 posts, read 1,694,679 times
Default Canning question - glass top stove

A canner I was about to buy said on the box that some glass top stoves don't provide sufficient heat for safe canning. A more expensive canner next to it (not a pressure canner, just another regular pot style) didn't say anything about a problem with glass top stoves. Anyone have one and accomplish successful (safe!) canning? Thanks.

Old 08-15-2012, 03:41 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,184,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fields of Green View Post
A canner I was about to buy said on the box that some glass top stoves don't provide sufficient heat for safe canning. A more expensive canner next to it (not a pressure canner, just another regular pot style) didn't say anything about a problem with glass top stoves. Anyone have one and accomplish successful (safe!) canning? Thanks.
I've know folks who have used them and the glass top cracks. I don't know for sure if it is from the weight or the heat. Might want to run this question by the shopping forum or look at your owner's manual for your stove.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink