Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 06:32 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,812,030 times

Advertisements

I used to have a room mate who would eat nothing but salad, rice, and canned soup. I would make a pot roast with mashed potatoes and gravy, but she would have none of it. She wasn't even vegetarian. I got very ill living with her and eventually had to bail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2015, 08:30 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I get this a lot at Subway. Customer asked what kind of Tuna it was, I said chunk light tuna. He then proceeds to go on and on about how light tuna makes him gag, and want to vomit and that just talking about it makes him sick. He says this in front of another customer. That's not only rude but makes the other customer think is the tuna really that bad? I like Subway's tuna. I make it fresh every morning. Another customer bought one of our personal sized pizza's. She came in the next day and I asked her how it was. She said "EWW! I threw it out it was disgusting!" then she laughed. It did not make me feel good. Luckily no one else was in the store. If you don't like a certain product we offer my suggestion to you is to say: " I did not care for it so I am going to try something else this time". Some customers just don't think before they speak. As far as myself as a cook no one ever complains because I am a great cook. If the meat is a bit dry or something is off my husband might say something but I don't take it as being rude, I take it as a learning experience for the next time.
That's very inconsiderate. My mother would have asked if he'd been raised in a barn. I wouldn't take it personally.

Old 06-10-2015, 01:55 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,534,995 times
People who don't like onions or celery or something really....plain or necessary. Like, no onion? Really?

I don't understand pickiness. The only things that are very widespread that I can't handle are cereal and milk (the sogginess is the absolutely most disgusting thing I can think of) or fake cheese.

Old 06-10-2015, 04:32 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,822,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
I don't have a high tolerance for this. I get that not everyone enjoys everything, but there are people who are just a little over the top, to the point of being offensive.

This was a problem in my relationships with men who had kids. I've been asked to cook 2 or three meals to accomodate the little princes and princesses who normally got what they wanted. Newsflash, in my home, they eat what I cook or they don't eat.

It's even more annoying when an adult does this. Kids do what they are taught and what they can get away with. But as adults, we should learn that the world does not have to accomodate us (at least some of us do). When I cook a meal and they are picking out the parsley and the onions, or whatever else it is they don't like - I want to reach over the table and slap them. They are not invited again.

How do you handle this? What do you do when someone cooks something you don't like?

Are you serious?

Why in the world would you expect someone to eat something in your home that they wouldn't in theirs?

When we're expecting "new" guests, I inquire if they have any dietary restrictions, and I would accomodate those to the extent that I'd have a few more offerings. And I don't care in the least what they're "picking out" of a dish any more than I expect them to partake of everything unless they were so inclined.

Old 06-10-2015, 06:05 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,364,015 times
I don't generally cook for anybody other than family, and I know their limes and dislikes. I make the effort to accommodate those preferences within reason. When dining with extended family for holidays, we typically collaborate on the menu, so there's always something that appeals to every person. For potlucks, I take a dish that our family loves. If nobody else eats it, more for us!

Old 06-12-2015, 05:52 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,282,765 times
I had to REP the OP for their post. Food pickiness is a first world problem. Unless a person is serving something like liver or sushi which in and of itself is a bit inconsiderate since a lot of people do not like these items, people need to just suck it up and eat the little piece of onion or parsley... it builds character to tolerate things one does not like and hardship of any sort.

When I see a picky eater it just tells me they are going to be high maintenance and not able to tolerate hardship especially in adults. There are far worse things one can endure in life than to eat that piece of onion or olive on a pizza and go picking it off in front of people while dining out.

Old 06-12-2015, 09:45 AM

29,743 posts, read 34,376,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
People who don't like onions or celery or something really....plain or necessary. Like, no onion? Really?
One of my friends is adamant that she doesn't like onions (she's not allergic, she just says that she doesn't like them.) I haven't mustered up the heart to tell her that probably every time she's eaten dinner at my house she's consumed onions and she's raved about the food. I'm not trying to be a jerk about it; it's just that most of my go-to recipes involve an onion or two, and I'm not leaving them out.

Old 06-12-2015, 09:58 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,364,015 times
What tremendous good fortune we have in this part of the world that we can exercise preferences in our food selection! A polite request for the inclusion or exclusion of certain ingredients when I prepare meals for other people doesn't offend me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink