Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 01:56 AM

3,885 posts, read 8,122,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
I don't have a high tolerance for this. I get that not everyone enjoys everything, but there are people who are just a little over the top, to the point of being offensive.

This was a problem in my relationships with men who had kids. I've been asked to cook 2 or three meals to accomodate the little princes and princesses who normally got what they wanted. Newsflash, in my home, they eat what I cook or they don't eat.

It's even more annoying when an adult does this. Kids do what they are taught and what they can get away with. But as adults, we should learn that the world does not have to accomodate us (at least some of us do). When I cook a meal and they are picking out the parsley and the onions, or whatever else it is they don't like - I want to reach over the table and slap them. They are not invited again.

How do you handle this? What do you do when someone cooks something you don't like?
I really don't understand the "they'll eat it or else" mentality. Children have the right to like or dislike something just as we adults do. I am strict about things like kindness, respect, getting good grades, etc. with my children. Food, not so much. I make sure that they are getting enough protein, fat, carbs, calcium, etc. But, overall, I don't think that food should be a big deal. Yes, certain foods are delicious (subjectively so). However, the main purpose is to fuel our bodies and not to be a source of frustration for everyone involved. My oldest son, 8, has a severe food allergy and typically cannot eat snacks that are brought into the classroom. If his teacher notifies me, then I bring something that he can eat. But, I do not expect the other mothers to make something special for him. He doesn't wear an ID bracelet, but he knows to say "No, thank you" when offered and he's never rude or whiney about it. So, I would be enraged to say the least (after we left the ER) if someone forced him to eat it or wear it as was mentioned earlier.

As for me, I hate carrots and tuna. I will not eat them, Sam I am! Of course, I would never be rude about it or even say anything to the host, but I wouldn't eat them. Ewwww!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2009, 04:52 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,851,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiWrites View Post
If someone serves me something I don't like I would eat it anyway. Unless I am allergic to the food than what is the big deal. I was taught if you are invited to someone's home you eat what you are served.

I invited a friend to my Thanksgiving dinner and she did nothing but complain. The stuffing wasn't how she did it and she doesn't like the topping on the mashed sweet potatoes etc. By the time dessert was served I had had my fill of her. She complained about that too until another friend told her to shut up because she was a total Debby Downer. I won't be inviting her back next year.
OMG you invited my sister-in-law????????????????

I have about given up inviting her as everything gets picked apart or you get a "eeewww".

Old 05-24-2009, 07:17 AM

18,950 posts, read 11,594,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
You notice I did not complain when you served strawberry-rhubarb pie with sour cream. Instead I brought my own ice-cream and offered you some.
Proof that we all really CAN just get along! <singing kumbaya>
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
I don't see too many starving kids these days. On the contrary, I see lots of little loads walking around.
Thanks - now I'm picturing loads as in steaming turds - walking around, no less!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violett View Post
I also wouldn't want to "slap" them, just because they don't like cilantro and I do.
Ack - cilantro! That's my big food issue LOL - really! Sad thing is - I love Indian food and Mexican food and cilantro is sometimes featured prominently. Eek.

Pet peeve - people catering to children's tastes and/or preparing a different meal for everyone just because they're picky. I understand not making kids eat things they've tried more than once and truly don't like. I do not understand giving them 50 choices and letting them have their favorite or the same food everytime the adults are serving something the kids don't like.

Old 05-24-2009, 07:29 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,235,578 times
Adult picky eater speaking up. I have some serious texture issues with foods. If something is the wrong texture in my mouth it makes me gag. I am sure someone would rather see me pick mushrooms (or whatever) out of something than gag at their table. I do not pick things out of my food before I eat, but I try to eat around things that I know are going to trigger that gag.

Old 05-24-2009, 08:08 AM

2,178 posts, read 9,578,191 times
Quote:
Kids do what they are taught
I would agree with that if I had not given birth to one of them. My daughter NEVER would eat anything green, even as a baby. I would try to feed her vegetables and she would gag but I kept trying.. soon as I was done feeding her, she would throw it all up.

She is in her 40's now and still so darn picky that I still get mad at her about it. I can make something SO good and ask her to try it, she will look at it and say it don't look good and I will press on for her to try it.. She will put it in her mouth and immediately spit it out claiming it was awful... She is cheating herself out of so many good things by being so picky.. But she takes it to the limit... She will only eat certain brands of cheese, bread, mayonnaise, mustard, pancake syrup, ketsup, chile etc.. If she is invited to someone else's house to eat and knows she will want ketsup, she will go as far as taking her own with her!

I was alway the type of Mom that you ate what was cooked, there was NO special things cooked for each one of my kids and if you didn't like what was cooked, you just didn't eat. Thank goodness she didn't pass that pickyness on to her own kids although her son use to try to mimic her when it suited his purpose.

Another one of my pet peeves is people who have to cover everything they eat with something, Ranch Dressing, ketsup, steak sauce, hot sauce, a ton of butter/margarine.. they are using it like gravy now. I have seen Ranch Dressing put on pizza, baked and mashed potato's, steaks, beans...and I am not taking about a tablespoon but completely cover the food with it! I had one crew member that uses a entire bottle of Tiger sauce in 2 meals. One crew member will use a half a container of Parmesan cheese on his spaghetti.

Old 05-24-2009, 08:09 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,656,371 times
Pass the Chocolate--you're funny. I can't blame you about not wanting to cook every different meal for the "princes and princesses" you've known. I wouldn't be too happy doing that. My husband had a kid who was like that. She would only eat certain store's baloney, ham, etc. When we went out to eat, forget it. I remember we went to NYC once and here we are in the biggest,most grandest food emporium and the little lovely couldn't find a thing to eat. Iwas young then, but wouldn't be able to deal with it now. We finally got her to eat some chicken.
Sometimes it can be a power play, sometimes not. I think people have food preferences, but it can get extreme.

Old 05-24-2009, 08:20 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
I agree with this. If I am cooking for someone for the first time, I ask if they have certain dietary restrictions or things they really don't like. People tend to do the same for me if they don't already know my preferences. Otherwise, I think it's fine to eat what you like and skip what's really unpalatable to you. It's easy enough to do that discretely without making a fuss. Complaining or pouting is just rude - neither host nor guest should make a big deal about it. IMO
Agreed. What difference does it make if someone doesn't eat the onions?

Frankly when I've got company, I go out of my way to make sure that what I'm serving will be something they enjoy. I've got friends coming next Sunday for dinner--kabobs on the grill. I know he's one of those guys who won't eat vegetables, so I'll make some kabobs with just meat. I'll put it all on a platter together and let people take what they want rather than making a fuss about it.

And I've been in a situation where I was invited to dinner and every single item the hostess had made had something in it that I'm allergic to. It was an uncomfortable situation for both of us, and is why I always ask my guests their preferences in advance.

Old 05-24-2009, 08:23 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MooksterL1 View Post
I really don't understand the "they'll eat it or else" mentality. Children have the right to like or dislike something just as we adults do.
I agree with this as well. When my son was young I always respected that he had the right to not enjoy certain foods, and never made him eat them. My rule was that if was a new food he had to try at least a bite of it. I think that's one of the reasons he grew up to have a wide range of foods he enjoys. I never forced things he didn't enjoy on him, and I certainly never put the "starving kids in Africa" guilt trip on him.

Old 05-24-2009, 08:27 AM

413 posts, read 1,368,701 times
I was watching Dr Phil and he was talking about picky eaters. He said if the kid won't eat what is in front of him, don't make them anything else. That kids won't starve and if they get hungry enough they will eat. Also it takes 3 or 4 tries when a new food is introduced to get a kid to eat. What is really bad for kids is when the parent tells them you won't like it. It sets in the mind that nope they won't.

Old 05-24-2009, 08:35 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
I don't have a high tolerance for this. I get that not everyone enjoys everything, but there are people who are just a little over the top, to the point of being offensive.

This was a problem in my relationships with men who had kids. I've been asked to cook 2 or three meals to accomodate the little princes and princesses who normally got what they wanted. Newsflash, in my home, they eat what I cook or they don't eat.

It's even more annoying when an adult does this. Kids do what they are taught and what they can get away with. But as adults, we should learn that the world does not have to accomodate us (at least some of us do). When I cook a meal and they are picking out the parsley and the onions, or whatever else it is they don't like - I want to reach over the table and slap them. They are not invited again.

How do you handle this? What do you do when someone cooks something you don't like?
Being a picky eater myself, I try to take the host/hostesses feelings into consideration when eating at someones house. If you are covert about picking out the parsley or onions and do not make a big deal about it, just lay them quietly on the edge of the plate, it should not be an issue for anyone. Making a production out of your likes and dislikes - especially with your face all srewed up into a grimace, is very rude, indeed.

As far as accommodating someones likes and dislikes, I try to have enough variety so that if someone does not like something there is still plenty of food for them to eat. Since I cook my food very plainly to begin with, this is usually not too big of a problem. There is not much to dislike about a cooked chicken leg and baked potato. I find that you do more harm to food by putting a lot of ingredients in it than you do just letting the natural flavors come through. Forget about inviting children to dinner unless you just make up a batch of mac and cheese or throw a frozen pizza in the oven for them. Otherwise you are just frustrating yourself since most children don't even have a clue what good food is.

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink