Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2009, 08:02 AM

2,538 posts, read 3,876,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
I disagree--If i do not like it, i will not eat it. Not trying to be rude, but, I am under no obligation to eat food someone else makes. Thats why I hate pot-lucks. Who knows how sanitary some peoples kitchens are?
I am the exact same way, and a very picky eater. I am never rude, I just say no thanks. I can't tell you how many parties and picnics I have gone home hungry because everything either has mayonnaise, sour cream, cheese or a pork product...all no-no's to me. Pot lucks are disgusting, blech. I am a virgo, can't help it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2009, 09:35 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,544,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gue View Post
Much more annoying to me is when my childrens friends would come over and take a big helping & then not eating it.

I learned to make them try it first & then if they liked it, I would give them more.
Absolutely, I hate wasting food. It should be punishable by a tar and feathering.

Old 05-25-2009, 09:46 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
I disagree--If i do not like it, i will not eat it. Not trying to be rude, but, I am under no obligation to eat food someone else makes. Thats why I hate pot-lucks. Who knows how sanitary some peoples kitchens are?
I feel the same way. I've seen some kitchens that were downright disgusting. And people who have cats and let them walk all over the counters--no thanks!

Old 05-25-2009, 10:03 AM

5,501 posts, read 22,448,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I feel the same way. I've seen some kitchens that were downright disgusting. And people who have cats and let them walk all over the counters--no thanks!
I see this as a sign of a high-maintenance personality.

Old 05-25-2009, 10:40 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
I see this as a sign of a high-maintenance personality.
Oh, did I hit a nerve?

Because I don't want to get food poisoning or have hair or fur in what I eat makes me "high-maintenance?" I see it as a sign of common sense.

Last edited by annerk; 05-25-2009 at 11:33 AM..

Old 05-25-2009, 10:56 AM

3,467 posts, read 8,143,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MooksterL1 View Post
Children have the right to like or dislike something just as we adults do. I am strict about things like kindness, respect, getting good grades, etc. with my children. Food, not so much
You've failed to realize that gulping down a few bites of food you do not like to be polite when a guest in someone's home is a part of kindness, respect & good manners. If you can hardly stomach it, then a few bites & claiming you're not very hungry is enough.

Also, how can children know what they like if they've never tried it?

My mom would tell me "just try a bite", and I did. If I still disliked it, then she did not force me to eat it. Sometimes years later, she'd ask me if I'd want to try it again and see if my palette has changed. That is how you widen your palette. Of course there are a few things I still do not like, but I look at picky eaters & pity them & wonder how much of their upbringing influenced it.

A parent's attitude towards food makes a big difference also. I saw my mom eating & cooking a variety, and she never offered to make us a separate meal just because something had complex flavors. So much so, that at restaurants I didn't even want the kid's chicken nugget crap...I wanted the "real" food everyone else got.

If your kid gets so stubborn they block out a whole food group, then you've probably got discipline and attitude problems with that kid which go beyond being picky.

Old 05-25-2009, 11:40 AM

5,501 posts, read 22,448,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Oh, did I hit a nerve?

Because I don't want to get food poisoning or have hair or fur in what I eat makes me "high-maintenance?"
My point exactly.

Old 05-25-2009, 12:32 PM

3,885 posts, read 8,122,288 times
You know, this thread has really made me appreciate my friends, the parents of my children's friends and our social circle even more than I did before.

Old 05-25-2009, 12:49 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,455,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MooksterL1 View Post
You know, this thread has really made me appreciate my friends, the parents of my children's friends and our social circle even more than I did before.
You know, I was going to say the same thing - because of our friends, who cook differently than I do, my kids have had so many culinary opportunities - they have tried sushi, sashimi, tofu, a variety of Italian and Korean food as well as vegetarian fare I would not have even known about. When DD spent her spring break volunteering in the Dominican Republic she had the opportunity to try both goat and lamb meat as well as some fruits that she hadn't ever tried before. My kids can both be gracious guests in homes of people who have different culinary cultures. I believe these manners will serve them well throughout their lives.

Old 05-25-2009, 12:57 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,030,899 times
So waht about people like me that pick apart..well...everything? I dont like my food touching, so when I have a sandwhich, I eat the bread first, then the meat, etc. Is this rude? Ive done it since childhood, and hardly notice when I do it now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink