Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 07:07 PM

2,053 posts, read 4,801,340 times

Advertisements

gentlearts could not possibly be more correct.

There is a big difference between appreciating quality and cooking from scratch and being a "food snob".
Honestly, I am sometimes called a "food snob", but I will not compare something that I or one of my friends has cooked with so much care to something that was defrosted in a microwave or came out of a box.

Like I said before, it does not have to be anything fancy; if I have the flu and my friend stops by with homemade chicken soup and a few rolls made from scratch it will make my day.

And I am proud to visit a friend and take something I have made myself. I am also very glad when a friend takes the time to prepare something for me which did not come out of a can.

And on potlucks, it is easy to see/taste the difference, gentlearts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2010, 07:17 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,083,377 times
I try not to be a food snob but I am definitely a foodie. However, I may lean a little towards snobbiness... I rarely eat fast food. In fact, my husband knows that when we go on road trips there are places that I will absolutely not eat (McD's, Burger King, and many more). That being said - I do have a soft spot for Chick-fil-a! I do try to keep my snobbiness under control but I do so love gourmet food - both cooking it, having a friend cook it, or eating out!

Old 06-22-2010, 07:27 PM

I don't think being a foodie is being a food snob.

In my opinion there is nothing wrong with being interested in regional/international cuisines (or "cooking", if you so prefer) and wanting to learn more about ingredients and learning how to cook with them.

If you are humble enough to say "would you teach me about this dish?" you are not being a snob, you are being interested and this in my eyes is a great thing.

Just bc I don't want to have food from a can everyday or use my microwave for every meal this does not make me a snob. It makes me someone who enjoys exploring food possibilities.

I have friends from several countries and we often discuss food, including the things we tried to cook and were not that successful. It is a "practice makes perfect" thing.

If I get a chance to travel, I want to eat like the locals bc I think it is an interesting form to mingle. Food is a great conversation topic. I enjoy teaching and learning about it very much. It is something to share on an incredibly positive way: brings great memories and allows one to share cultural identity.

Oh, for the record, I like Chick-fil-a too.

Old 06-22-2010, 08:44 PM

50,044 posts, read 63,394,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
I try not to be a food snob but I am definitely a foodie. However, I may lean a little towards snobbiness... I rarely eat fast food. In fact, my husband knows that when we go on road trips there are places that I will absolutely not eat (McD's, Burger King, and many more). That being said - I do have a soft spot for Chick-fil-a! I do try to keep my snobbiness under control but I do so love gourmet food - both cooking it, having a friend cook it, or eating out!
And do not miss the BLT from Arbys or the Limeade Sparkler from Taco Bell. Both are really good....even for us food snobs.

Old 06-22-2010, 08:57 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,189,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miaiam View Post
I am also very glad when a friend takes the time to prepare something for me which did not come out of a can.
I'm very glad when a friend takes the time to come see me regardless of what they bring, or if they bring nothing at all - esp when I'm not feeling well. While made-from-scratch is great, if they brought me (gasp) store-bought food, I'd still appreciate the thought quite a bit. And again, while I agree that made from scratch is better generally speaking, it isn't automatically so.

Oh yeah I very rarely eat fast food, but like chick fil a too.

PS, I give up: what the heck is a "foodie?"

Old 06-23-2010, 08:39 AM

A foodie is a gourmet.

Old 06-23-2010, 09:26 AM

1,838 posts, read 2,961,389 times
Yes I'm a food snob and it's not a big deal as everyone is a 'snob' about something. I don't eat fast food except Chick fil a chicken salad. I don't eat red meat and too many other things to name. I eat out so I don't cook and after I get married, we're hiring a chief. I love eating GOOD food and yes there is a difference.

Old 06-23-2010, 11:59 AM

2,031 posts, read 3,213,385 times
Yes, absolutely. My husband and I both like a lot of flavor. I can't eat bland or boring foods. My aunt gave me a few of her favorite family recipes, OMG, they looked so boring. Chicken breasts with a can of mushroom soup cooked in a crock pot. Seriously that was one of her recipes..... How is that cooking?! Why would you need a recipe for that? Anyway, I love her dearly, but I threw them out.

Growing up my mom made like 3 dishes. I really can't remember her trying anything new.

My mother-in-law loves to use can foods. Besides canned tomatoes for tomato sauce or canned kidney beans for chili, I don't use anything canned. 98% of the time I cook from scratch. I started cooking when I was 16 and it's become a passion of mine. Not to be arrogant, but I'm pretty good at it too. My family has always told me that I should have gone to cooking school, but it's a hobby, not a career to me.

Old 06-23-2010, 12:07 PM

CantWait, since there is hardly any canned food and you understand us foodies here, share some of your best recipes, please.

Gotta love the story about your aunt, btw."Why would you need a recipe for that?"

Old 06-23-2010, 12:12 PM

6,777 posts, read 13,506,717 times
Canned mushroom soup is so gross in recipes. Make a roux add cream, reduce, and then sauteed mushrooms and you're good. Why anyone would use it in anything is beyond me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink