Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 01:37 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,118,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Crabcakes View Post
OK, I had to ask this cause I think this is the oddest thing.

Last time I had dinner over my mom-in-law's we had a corned beef and potatoes meal (typical Irish dinner) and afterwards, she offered me some milk. I was weirded out by it cause I've never drank milk after dinner and certainly not after a meat meal. Turns out my fiance grew up drinking milk with EVERY meal, no matter what he ate. We were talking about this today and I think it is so gross! So after dinner, even if he had steak or something hearty; a glass of milk?! He says its normal but I have never heard of anyone drinking milk all day like that.

I usually drink milk with breakfast but only with a sweet meal like pancakes, french toast or waffles.

So after speaking with some friends about this it seems like it may have been more common in white families but not for black/latino families. Growing up I never knew any kids (I only knew black kids) that even drank plain white milk.

Could this be cultural? Any other thoughts?
My husband who is a white Canadian boy drank a LOT of milk growing up. He still does. It is often his beverage of choice (lord, he loves it with spaghetti). As for me, I can't stand the stuff. As a child the only way you could pursuade me to even touch it is with a very, very large supply of chocolate syrup mixed in, and even then, it too A LOT of convincing.

I am certain that I have not had a taste of the stuff for at least the past 40 years, if not longer. Yuck.

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2009, 01:42 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,443,002 times
Milk with dinner is how I grew up....When my kids were little, that's what they drank also. Now it's water. I never had sugared drinks for meals growing up (except the occasional Friday night pizza). It is not an option for my kids either. We're big water drinkers at my house.

Old 06-01-2009, 01:42 PM

28,227 posts, read 21,841,918 times
I cannot stand drinking milk unless it's in coffee. As a kid I had to gag it down. My kids never were forced to drink milk w/meals they were given a choice.

I've noticed here in the mid-west lots of people drink it with meals whereas on the east coast I never saw it.

Old 06-01-2009, 02:02 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,490,654 times
I've posted before that I grew up being served a glass of skim milk with dinner (which often got poured down the sink when parental backs were turned). For some reason I never understood why the milk they served at school lunch was so much better cause I'm a slow learner or something.

"Discovered" that it was 2% milk when I got old enough to buy my own milk, and have never looked back to skim. DH loves the stuff, drinks tons and tons of it, at any time of the day. I get (2%) milk cravings that come and go. I don't drink it every day but boy was it great with a couple of Mexican Wedding cookies last night.

DH and I grew up in California, both of us are white. By the way, my mother doesn't drink milk except in coffee. Perhaps that's why she stuck us with that nasty skim stuff.

Old 06-01-2009, 02:09 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,255,021 times
I just had a thought. I lived in a very rural area - lots of dairy farms. Maybe that's why we did the milk thing???

Old 06-01-2009, 02:19 PM

1,731 posts, read 4,681,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
I've posted before that I grew up being served a glass of skim milk with dinner (which often got poured down the sink when parental backs were turned). For some reason I never understood why the milk they served at school lunch was so much better cause I'm a slow learner or something.

"Discovered" that it was 2% milk when I got old enough to buy my own milk, and have never looked back to skim. DH loves the stuff, drinks tons and tons of it, at any time of the day. I get (2%) milk cravings that come and go. I don't drink it every day but boy was it great with a couple of Mexican Wedding cookies last night.

DH and I grew up in California, both of us are white. By the way, my mother doesn't drink milk except in coffee. Perhaps that's why she stuck us with that nasty skim stuff.

My upbringing was similar. Skim (blue) milk with every meal and Lord how I hated it. Now as an adult I would drink 2% with every meal if I wasn't lactose intolerant lol. Once I tasted the actual difference I finally got why so many kids I grew up with liked milk so much. Theirs wasn't blue!

ETA- Forgot to give a thumbs up to the poster who loves milk with spaghetti. I am the same way, I will suffer through the lactose pain just make sure I have 2% with my pasta. And yes I do look like a goofball when at an Italian restaraunt and while everyone else is drinking wine, I am having milk but I don't drink wine so tough.. Can't have pasta or tomato sauce without it!

Old 06-01-2009, 02:35 PM

1,384 posts, read 4,293,232 times
We always drank milk with every dinner (with, not after) and I still do about 90% of the time.

Old 06-01-2009, 03:06 PM

19,376 posts, read 15,217,290 times
I'm the same as a lot of posters here; used to drink milk with every meal when I was young, now I basically drink water. My mom's Irish and my dad is Mexican. Wasn't it in the hopes of building strong bones?

One thing I could never eat with milk was artichokes. Just do not go together. Maybe it's the mayo that does it...

Last edited by SeaOfGrass; 06-01-2009 at 03:08 PM.. Reason: Add'l thought

Old 06-01-2009, 03:17 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,443,002 times
We also had milk for lunch at school and milk mid morning for our snack. Lots of milk when I was growing up. This was pre - juice boxes etc. No one I ever knew would ever have even thought of bringing a soda for lunch. Unheard of. Milk - that's what you bought to go with lunch at school. Chocolate milk was occasionally offered. Always was 2% IIRC. Not a fan of skim milk either. When we drink milk (ITA on the spaghetti thing BTW. Also mac n cheese!), it's 1%.

Old 06-01-2009, 03:23 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,885,194 times
Grew up in South Jersey and we drank tons of milk. As an adult I just drink it in the morning or if I eat brownies. My Dad, though, is like 66 and he drinks it all day, with every meal, even Chinese food! As a kid we had whole milk and then 2% by my teens. I used to not really like milk until I discovered skim milk when I moved away.

Like the OP, I also used to wonder if it was a racial or cultural thing. I had a friend in college who was black (I'm white), and we used to joke about it. I grew up drinking tons of milk and I never tasted Kool-Aid, when he grew up drinking tons of Kool-Aid, and almost never had milk. Fortunately college brought us all together and we all drank liquor and beer!
Alcohol: bringing the peoples of the world together
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink