Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 10:03 AM

1,707 posts, read 2,983,903 times

Advertisements

Any foods that have a noticeable taste of:

Mustard
Mayo
Ketchup
Curry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2009, 10:15 AM

9,718 posts, read 6,416,916 times
I can write a book on what I won't eat. Very fussy eater and a very sensitive stomach. I have a great sense of smell. If I don't like the smell, I won't eat it. Here's my top 5......
Cumin.......can't get past the smell
Cilantro
Organs of any kind
Oysters
Escargot........have tons of snails in my yard but I wouldn't even think of eating them

Old 06-07-2009, 10:51 AM

18,287 posts, read 23,188,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelly Nomad View Post
Are you from Philadelphia, Lisa? I don't think I've ever met anyone outside Greater Philadelphia who knew what Scrapple is! The most difficult part of Scrapple is trying to explain it to folks who've never had it . It's definitely an acquired taste and I can thoroughly understand people not liking it. Especially when you try to describe it.

For the record, I liked the stuff. Every now and then.
We have scrapple in Indiana too I think anywhere there is a congregation of folks that tend to use all of stuff you will find it. I have noticed it on Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives clear down in Texas.

I'll pass on it all organ meats, any parts that have mostly been in the mud on an animal and okra.

Old 06-07-2009, 12:17 PM

1,747 posts, read 3,012,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
We have scrapple in Indiana too I think anywhere there is a congregation of folks that tend to use all of stuff you will find it. I have noticed it on Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives clear down in Texas.
Amazing! Anytime I've mentioned Scrapple to people who don't have a Philadelphia connection (not that the subject comes up frequently ), the reactions have been either "Ewwww" or "huh???". Thanks for the info. Nice to know Scrapple is not just for Philly folk!

Old 06-07-2009, 01:39 PM

15,154 posts, read 11,624,440 times
Quote:
Amazing! Anytime I've mentioned Scrapple to people who don't have a Philadelphia connection (not that the subject comes up frequently ), the reactions have been either "Ewwww" or "huh???". Thanks for the info. Nice to know Scrapple is not just for Philly folk!
Same thing here in Phoenix, when i bring up White castle. People here think its only a frozen food!

Old 06-07-2009, 01:43 PM

1,091 posts, read 3,592,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
A second vote for Cilantro. I hate it. It is the only thing. There is nothing else that I won't wolf down.

If there's a mixed fruit bowl, I'll pick around the cantaloupe, but if that's all there is, I'll eat it.

I'm not a fan of cilantro, either.
I once worked in a Mexican restaurant where I had to do most of the prep, including making the pico de gallo. This involved mincing massive amounts of fresh cilantro each day, by hand, and then mixing it with diced onions and tomatoes.
The smell of cilantro never left me; it clung to my hands no matter how many times I washed.
I was sooo glad to leave that job, and I've had a serious aversion to cilantro ever since.

Old 06-07-2009, 01:51 PM

1,116 posts, read 2,963,609 times
Licorice, unseasoned organ meats (love pate and the like..), canned asparagus or spinach.

Old 06-07-2009, 01:52 PM

1,747 posts, read 3,012,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
Same thing here in Phoenix, when i bring up White castle. People here think its only a frozen food!
At least White Castle has a movie to prove its existance (Harold and Kumar Go To White Castle). Too bad they didn't make a movie where Harold and Kumar scarfed down some delicious Scrapple. I guess it'll never happen now that Kal Penn (Kumar) has given up acting to join the White House staff.

Old 06-07-2009, 03:37 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,942,396 times
Quote:
Are you from Philadelphia, Lisa? I don't think I've ever met anyone outside Greater Philadelphia who knew what Scrapple is!
I grew up eating scrapple. Weird part about that is... I grew up in L.A. and Orange Counties. I was the only kid I knew who not only ate scrapple, but who even knew what it was.

My Dad spent part of his childhood in Upper Darby, and damned if there wasn't a Kroger owned supermarket near us that made its own scrapple.

I prefer it crisp fried, sometimes with maple syrup, sometimes with ketchup. When I'm traveling through PA, it's the first food item I look for. There's a small truck stop right off the freeway in Yocumtown that serves up excellent scrapple.

Old 06-07-2009, 03:42 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,394,464 times
Quote:
Are you from Philadelphia, Lisa? I don't think I've ever met anyone outside Greater Philadelphia who knew what Scrapple is! The most difficult part of Scrapple is trying to explain it to folks who've never had it . It's definitely an acquired taste and I can thoroughly understand people not liking it. Especially when you try to describe it.

For the record, I liked the stuff. Every now and then.
I'm from NY and never heard of scrapple until I moved to NC. I haven't acquired a taste for it, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink