Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 10:07 AM

5,501 posts, read 22,442,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
Double Ditto ! Lovely with Hollandaise, real home made mayonnaise or even a simple vinaigrette. Al dente and maybe served with some Parma Ham.

I also love them roasted with a little olive oil, balsamic vinegar and black pepper and in soups.
Ham! Now you are talking!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2009, 10:22 AM

2,218 posts, read 3,451,672 times
Asparagus! Nature's gift in the Spring....Like most of you, I adore it. Of course it is delicious with Hollandaise sauce..but since I am constantly watching calories, I m just about as happy with a squeeze of lemon and some sea salt. Yummmmmmy!!

Old 06-10-2009, 03:31 PM

758 posts, read 1,871,515 times
When I get asparagus I just drizzle extra virgin oil and salt over it and roast. Everything else at the dinner table is secondary, I think there has been a couple of flesh wounds trying to get at the last pieces.

Old 06-10-2009, 04:26 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,646,108 times
My husband fries the spears, till lightly browned, with olive oil and bits of garlic. Then he puts a little grated parmesan on them. Good.

Old 06-10-2009, 08:36 PM

758 posts, read 1,871,515 times
I was thinking of trying something else with the asparagus, awhile back TGIFridays had battered and deep fried green beans and my MIL made some herself after seeing the commercial for them, they were great! I was thinking it would be good to try with asparagus also.

Old 05-12-2013, 09:31 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
Default Fresh picked asparagus from the farmer's market was full of sand.

I had been some time since I purchased asparagus at the farmers market. it was very sandy and i washed ans soaked it but it still had sand in the flower end. Exactly how long should I soak or what can I do to be sure to get all the sane out. Other than that it was so much better than grocery store asparagus. do you know where most grocery store asparagus comes from?

Old 05-12-2013, 10:32 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Never had this happen, but then I rarely buy things at the Farmer's Markets since we moved to NC (though I did frequently in AZ).

Found these suggestions on one of my favorite websites, chowhound.com. The warm water and agitate method sounded reasonable.

Old 05-12-2013, 10:34 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I had been some time since I purchased asparagus at the farmers market. it was very sandy and i washed ans soaked it but it still had sand in the flower end. Exactly how long should I soak or what can I do to be sure to get all the sane out. Other than that it was so much better than grocery store asparagus. do you know where most grocery store asparagus comes from?

First, you may need to rinse it well 2-3 times until you get all the salt out. Asparagus and leeks both require a tremendous amount of washing as they are grown in sandy soils.

As to where asparagus is grown, it really depends on the season. It is generally available nearly year around these days. During the fall and winter months, most asparagus comes from California and Mexico. California has three primary asparagus (Asparagus officinalis)production areas: the Sacramento–San Joaquin River Delta (San Joaquin, Sacramento,and Contra Costa Counties), the Central Coast (Monterey and San Benito Counties), and the San Joaquin Valley (Fresno, Kern, Merced, and Kings Counties). Most of the asparagus in Mexico is grown near the Pacific coast.

During the late spring and summer, a good deal of asparagus is grown in Michigan and Washington State.

It is not that difficult to grow but it does not do all that well in hot weather. It is an early crop that does well immediately after the last freeze.

Old 05-13-2013, 12:27 PM

3,145 posts, read 5,956,375 times
Unless they mishandled it, asparagus should not be sandy up on the top end. The shoots grow above ground. This is strange sounding to me as I have never once had sandy asparagus...and we eat alot of it.

Old 05-13-2013, 03:07 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,422,673 times
Some farmers bank sand against asparagus like they do with celery and with leeks, to "blanch it," to keep it pale in color and mild in taste.

In any case, length of time soaking it makes no difference, because sand doesn't dissolve. What helps is swirling it around upside down in the water, so the sand falls out from behind the "petals" on the tips.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink