Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2009, 08:30 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,318,205 times

Advertisements

Wow, I go off and spend twelve hours or so at work, and look at what happens while I'm gone - we're on table number 4!! I'm so glad that SmokyMtnGal worked with you so that you could start this incarnation, Cyn; I know that's important to you, and it's important to me as well. This is YOUR supper table, after all!

HighlandsGal, I'm so glad your dear man surprised so completely! He's a good guy to spring it on you that way. And that ring sounds amazing - can you get someone to help you photograph it? You know we're all on eleventerhooks here (that's one step past tenterhooks) waiting for the details of the date, place, time, and all the rest. Gotta give George plenty of warning to get that bus gassed up and ready so he won't leave any of us behind this time....

Lacey, sending hugs and well wishes to you and Mr. L. for a successful test and a good outcome tomorrow. Are you trying Mayo this time? With all the back and forth and changing diagnoses, it may be time to go for the big guns there.

Supper at the BookWorm house tonight was a couple of pan-grilled chicken breasts with a bit of marinade to add some flavor, pan-grilled zucchini halves, and a dish that the spouse whomped up out of a can of chick peas, a can of tomatoes, some sauteed onions and various seasonings. All wonderful, and the patient man waited to start cooking until I called from the office to confirm that I was heading home.

And now I need to wash dishes, wipe counters and take a shower, in that order, in hopes of getting to bed before midnight. Good night, all, see you at the table tomorrow!

Old 06-08-2009, 08:39 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,850,199 times
Wow it has been a busy day here... HG's getting married.... Cyn is shrinking.... Lisa's a tride and ture farmer....AND We have a new thread! LOL.... I go out for one day and I miss all the action! haha I am tired tonight.... turned cold here and the rain came. That will be good for the plants. Alrighty then! I better get in here and catch up on it all in the morning....have a great night everyone.....

Old 06-08-2009, 09:57 PM

1,539 posts, read 3,184,331 times
Hello all! I must add that I agree that the people on the food threads are wonderful! I'm not even a huge foodie but I really like the people here!
Dinner tonight was grilled chicken sausages with all the usual condiments and chopped fresh onions. Also a leftover tofu spring roll (from Trader Joes).
Thinking about dessert now!!!

Old 06-08-2009, 09:59 PM

12,014 posts, read 11,264,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Chong View Post
Was wondering where you were hiding!
Wayyyyyyyy down south!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
Did ya get tanked up on catfish and french fries?
More than once! LOL Actually, I caught me a big ole cat last night, along with some brim!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
Kats welcome home we missed you!
Thanks Jax. Good to be back!

Dinner tonight was leftover porkchops off the grill, pan fried squash and onion, hoe cakes, tossed salad and baked skin-on new potatoes.

Old 06-08-2009, 10:02 PM

259,023 posts, read 90,393,303 times
Oh Kats. I'm hungry now and it is to late to fire up and cook.

Old 06-08-2009, 10:08 PM

3,885 posts, read 8,111,346 times
Jaxon, here is the recipe for the Caramel Pie. It's so bad, but oh so good at the same time.

O’Charley’s Caramel Pie

1 graham cracker pie crust
2 (14 oz) cans Eagle Brand Sweetened condensed milk
8 oz Cool Whip
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips

Bake crust for 5 min. at 350 degrees

Take wrapper off of Eagle Brand. Place cans in a large cooker on their side and fill with cold water. Do not open cans.

Bring to a boil and boil for 3 hours. Every 30 minutes turn the cans to the other side. After 3 hours turn the stove off and let them cool for at least one hour or until no longer warm.

Open cans and spread caramel in crust. Cover with Cool Whip then nuts and chocolate chips. Refrigerate 8 hours.

Old 06-08-2009, 10:23 PM

12,014 posts, read 11,264,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
Oh Kats. I'm hungry now and it is to late to fire up and cook.
Sorry Noma! BUT, tomorrow's another day! Missed you!

Mookster - My cougar girl! I just printed out that recipe - thanks!

Old 06-08-2009, 10:31 PM

259,023 posts, read 90,393,303 times
I'm headed for the kitchen. Think I can cut up a new red tater in a can of green beans with some nuked bacon. Most creative I can get for an after supper supper.

Old 06-08-2009, 10:41 PM

540 posts, read 1,327,406 times
Someone asked me to share my Chicken Pot Pie recipe. I am happy to do so.

Poach some chicken parts at a very slow simmer, in a pot with water to cover and a few spices. 2tsp salt, several cracks of pepper, a little thyme and oregano. Should be done in 30 minutes or less.Tonight I used 3 large bone-in chicken breasts.

Remove chicken when barely done. 16o' with an instant thermometer is enough. Remember there will be more cooking when the pie is put in the oven later. Don't want the chicken to get tough. So don't freak over a little pink. Chill chicken while working on the other ingredients. Then slice or shred into chunks.

Strain and save chicken water for gravy. You need a good 6-7 cups.
If you have a lot more, cook it down. This does not have a huge chicken flavor, but not bad, so I add 2 tsp of concentrated chicken paste, but canned broth or bouillon would be fine

Peel and boil 5 Idaho or fav potatoes and 1 lb whole carrots. Leave them a little under-done. Remember, more cooking in the oven later. Cut up in chunks when done.

Find some casserole dishes. I use a large oval corning ware and at least one small one for freezing.

Layer potatoes, then carrots, sprinkle a cup of frozen peas, then lay
down the chicken. Eyeball the layering so that there is an inch of headroom to the top.

Gravy/sauce
Over low heat melt 5 Tbl spoons of butter in the pot we cooked the chicken in.
Saute a small chopped onion until very soft. I like to caramelize the onion.
Wisk in 3/4 cup of flour. Stir a couple of minutes to change the flour taste, til a little golden, ( a light roux)

Now slowly pour the chicken broth and stir briskly and nonstop until all the broth is incorporated. Continue stirring and simmer until it thickens a bit
About 10 minutes. Taste and add any needed seasoning

Pour sauce over chicken and vegetables to almost top of dish.

(If you are going to freeze one,cover now, chill in frig, then put in freezer. I don't put the crust on until I am going to use the pie, but it can be done before freezing. To cook the frozen pie, I let it sit in frig for 3 hours, cover with crust, then bake at 400' for 45 min.)

I make the crust while chicken is cooking, so that it can be chilled before rolling out.

Crust
2 Cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup cold shortening or lard cut up. I flatten it on a piece of wax paper and put in the freezer up front, so it hard before starting the crust
6 Tbl spoons cold butter cut up
6 Tbl spoons ice water
1tsp kosher salt

Recently, I've been making crust in my food processor, so I'll give directions both ways.

Put all ingredients except water in food processor. Run for about 30 seconds
Check it. Should feel mealy. Turn on again and drizzle water in. Shut off
Turn out onto floured wax paper, gather in a ball. Squash down into a thick rectangular slab. Bring in wax paper to cover and stick in frig to chill.

Alternate method. Dump flour, salt in bowl. Cut in butter and shortening with pastry blender, 2 knives or rub quickly with fingers. (finger method not recommended for newbies. Too much hand heat will cause tough crust.
Mixture should feel mealy. For a tender crust, think of it this way;
shortening must be suspended in flour, not mushed in it, in order for flaky layers to develop
Sprinkle cold water all over flour. Stir quickly with fork. Gather in a ball.
Flatten on flowered wax paper. Chill in frig

Ok, there is light at the end of the tunnel

Preheat oven to 400'. I do this while I'm assembling the pies.

Gently roll out the crust to fit pie top. I put a few strips of foil around edges
and remove them after 30 minutes so the edges don't burn.
Slice a few slits to let steam escape

Place casserole on a larger pan, like a cookie sheet, because it will bubble over
Bake in hot oven for approximately, 40 minutes, or until crust is a nice golden brown
Let sit for 10 minutes before serving. Store leftovers covered in frig

I make extra gravy that some family members like to use the next day, because the vegetables really soak it up while stored in frig
I tried to make the directions user friendly, but if you have any questions, feel free to ask

Old 06-08-2009, 11:04 PM

21,353 posts, read 8,432,636 times
I had dinner out with friends tonight at Outback Steakhouse. We split a bloomin' onion and coconut shrimp for apps and for dinner I had the Outback special... a 6 oz. piece of strip steak rarel, with loaded baked potato (buttah, sour cream, chives, bacon, and cheddar cheese!), and a wonderfully full salad withe bleu cheese. AWESOME!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink