Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2009, 09:50 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,298,706 times

Advertisements

I am not sure why the sweet potatoes won't keep either elston--Lacey could have the answer. I have the very same problem and seldom buy them unless I am planning using them within a day or two. It seems even worse here in NC then in CA. I thought the humidity but I guess not.....
Looks like rain here today. I'll take the rain but this hot, so humid weather is the pitts!! This is first year since our move here that it has been so humid! I hope it isn't this way all summer long!!

Old 06-15-2009, 10:00 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,865,469 times
KELSIE: STOP DREAMING ABOUT ME!!!!!!!! lol..... you are making me eat funny!!!!! hahaha I am not pregnant btw!!!!! better NOT be! hahah don't dream anymore! I know how you Italians are about premonitions and dreams (about as quirky as us IRISH) no more dreams!!!! We are out of diapers and everyone is in school as of Fall... no more babies!!!! lol NO DREAMS YA HEAR??!!! lol.... on that note... I finished off my crazy cuke mustard mac salad for breakfast! hahahah

movingtohouston Diva gets out on the 23rd. That is the usual date early 20's of June teacher are out on the 26th. We will start back most likely the Wed after Labor Day... have to check the schedule for next year but that is usually the plan of attack...

Chatterbox just got done with Kindergarten assessment....I know this sounds bad- but I am hoping she bombed the speech part. I am hoping she gets help next year. So I am asking all my foodie friends to keep your fingers crossed that Chatterbox didn't do so well... please. She needs a little help and she has to fail by a certain % or they won't give her the help she needs.... I know that is a funny thing to want as a parent.... but if she passes by even 1% they won't give it to her she needs it and she is right on that border line.... she was denied services this past year and we saw her decline a bit..... hoping they help her in Kindergarten.... SO... everyone keep your fingers crossed she didn't do so hot please....

Ok... Dinner... Chatterbox picked out Carni-Food at Wegmans this morning..... Corn Dogs and Sweet Potato Fries... I am opting out- for the obvious reasons (migraines)... but the kids will like it. I got a new Basil Vin Salad Dressing that looks exciting! I will make myself a salad tonight.... with a little Feta and some garlic bread

Old 06-15-2009, 10:03 AM

48,112 posts, read 21,992,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
I am not sure why the sweet potatoes won't keep either elston--Lacey could have the answer. I have the very same problem and seldom buy them unless I am planning using them within a day or two. It seems even worse here in NC then in CA. I thought the humidity but I guess not.....
Looks like rain here today. I'll take the rain but this hot, so humid weather is the pitts!! This is first year since our move here that it has been so humid! I hope it isn't this way all summer long!!
I lived one year in very rural Alabama, where sweet potatoes or yams were a staple....grown and eaten every day. I would get a burlap sack of them as a gift....as I was living on subsistance level....and every day I would bake a couple of them.....to eat with greens and rice for supper and one to take along the next day as the basis of a convenient bagged lunch. Those potatoes never went bad......I think they might have been laid in the sun to dry when harvested....that might have been the ticket.

I am like you cyn....I pretty much consider them a perishable now and buy them when I plan to cook them. Which means sweet potatoes tonight. (and thats not a bad thing! )

Old 06-15-2009, 10:13 AM

2,870 posts, read 3,369,054 times
Tuna Salad Sandwich & a very small side of steamed veggies (mostly broccoli)

Old 06-15-2009, 10:26 AM

5,504 posts, read 6,245,086 times
skbs: cuke, mustard, mac? hmmmmmm

elston: I have noticed the same thing with both the Yukon Gold & Sweet Potatoes. The reason I threw the Purple Sweet Potatoes in with the others yesterday is that they were 5 days old and didn't look as if they were going to make another 2 days. I have been buying loose YG potatoes and I have found quite a few rotten in the middle & have to be thrown away.

Cyn: I hate to break this to you, but this is just the beginning, August is the worst. 2 years ago, we had 3 straight wks. of temps of 100+ with the humidity . That is why I start counting down the 90 days of hell June 1 st., and look forward to turning the clocks back. I have to be honest we have been to Key West in the middle of July and it was cooler then E. NC.

I still am not sure what we are having for dinner yet, cloudy, sticky & buggy, I'm not going out.

I'll check back with you all later. kelsie

Old 06-15-2009, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsie View Post
skbs: cuke, mustard, mac? hmmmmmm
Well if you would stop dreaming crazy dreams I would stop eating crazy things

Old 06-15-2009, 10:46 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,843,220 times
SKBS-ya never know hon.

NMS why not just hot turkey sanwiches and fries w/gravy.

Just in an we got a nice sirloin (on sale $4.99 lb), so that's marinating. Made pineapple salsa for tomorrow's pork roast. Also made a big spin salad with garbanzos, vidalia, blk olives, red peppers, mushrooms, grape tomatoes and a very huge fruit salad.

Another God given beauty here today but that will end tomorrow as 60's and rain for the next few days.

Kelsie sort of re-thinking the move!!!!! Hate humidity, had enough at the shore.

Old 06-15-2009, 11:03 AM

5,504 posts, read 6,245,086 times
skbs: just to let you know sweetie I was born on Fri. the 13th, a Full Moon baby. I'm just sayin!

lacey, that is why everyone from the So. take vacations to the No. & West in July & Aug. Jersey shore humidity is nothing compared to E. NC humidity. I keep everything closed up and AC on 76 so it is always comfortable in the house, and "furry white child" lays on the ceramic tile in the bathrooms on the AC vent so she is happy. There is something to be said about having Thanksgiving dinner on the back porch, same with Easter. Technically we have about 3 mos. of so called winter.

I decided to make a large pot of turkey/chicken vegetable soup. Even in Summer I love my soup.

I will check back with you later Have a great afternoon.

Old 06-15-2009, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsie View Post
skbs: just to let you know sweetie I was born on Fri. the 13th, a Full Moon baby. I'm just sayin!

lacey, that is why everyone from the So. take vacations to the No. & West in July & Aug. Jersey shore humidity is nothing compared to E. NC humidity. I keep everything closed up and AC on 76 so it is always comfortable in the house, and "furry white child" lays on the ceramic tile in the bathrooms on the AC vent so she is happy. There is something to be said about having Thanksgiving dinner on the back porch, same with Easter. Technically we have about 3 mos. of so called winter.

I decided to make a large pot of turkey/chicken vegetable soup. Even in Summer I love my soup.

I will check back with you later Have a great afternoon.
Kelsie.... you are a trip! hahah Well, it won't be a shocker when I eat my pickles and milk... been doin' that my whole life! lol...

Old 06-15-2009, 11:19 AM

12,015 posts, read 11,286,008 times
Dinner will be fast food on the way home!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink