Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2009, 09:29 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,347,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeeyow View Post
I make the gravy from the drippings in the pan - browning the flour and adding water, salt and pepper, little bit of garlic powder. (My husband tells me I put garlic in everything! LOL) The gravy is artery clogging good!
hey, kats, i love the 'ham. actually, i love the state. i lived in b'ham a few years until sept '08. i do not know what it is, but i dare say there is any state in the union that has better tried and true recipes than alabama. i love the b'ham junior league cookbook. no one--nobody--makes a chicken casserole like the cooks in birmingham, tuscaloosa, and montgomery. they are absolutely wonderful. looks like your gravy would done well w/ my turban bread, lol. thanks to you for the rep.

Old 06-18-2009, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Hi all. We are going to float away with all this rain and the poor gardens. I hope everything survives.

We defrosted the refrigerator today which takes a couple of hours so dinner was a mix. DH got pasta and meat sauce. I had some leftover brown rice warmed up with a little cream cheese and cheddar added in to make it creamy. Then I had some salsa and sour cream. It was actually really good. Next time I will tweak it and add some veggies. Squash or broccoli would be good.
from the looks of things this afternoon and evening, i didn't know whether ya'll were going to have electricity or not. the news and weather reporters in our area were telling us that it was really bad over your way---i'm on the other side of the state---germantown/collierville. we were pummelled on friday, saturday, sunday, and monday. hail, lightening, tornado, straight winds---garden just about wrecked. i hope everything in your garden will be fine. i was going to ask about your protein in your concoction?

Old 06-18-2009, 10:05 PM

3,591 posts, read 1,153,381 times
So I took notes

First hello to anyone new at the table! My chair gets cobbwebs now and then, but I am always gonna be back to polish it up
For all those with wet weather I wish you a dry spell and your gardens the strength to survive.
SKBS take care of your fever and the fam. May you all have a speedy recovery.
NMS I have never made ribs in a crock pot. Do you use beef or pork? I bet either would turn out great!
Turtle rest up I hope you feel better soon
Lacey, Crazy, MWBW and Kats Thanks so much for the party dish ideas! Toosie please post you tomato and cucks with basil recipe. Never ask just post One of us foodies will like it for sure!
Mooster I am curious. Did you post your recipe for the mexican manicotti? If not will you? Thankyou
NMS I only use Jasmine rice. It is my favorite. It makes a killer rice pudding!
X2cme your wrap sounds like it fits right in with my diet or so the growl of my stomache told me so.
Hawaii I am right there with ya wishing it were winter and I had a big bowl of baked potato soup(butter bread too)
George I hope you get the medicine for your pup soon... We just spent 100$ on advantage for our pups.. The furry family
Kats both of those recipes are "winner winner chicken dinner!" Start with the salad. you know fill up on the healthy stuff (BACON) Then let the Watergate flow yum yum!
Burdell I have to admit I am a bit jealouse... ENJOY your food, drink, and fireworks!
Spiderbear I think it is great that you and your hub sit down and eat dinner together! This is how I was raised.
Crazy thanks for schooling Kingchef (WELCOME!!) on the rules at the table
Elston I love your little piece of heaven!! Happy you enjoyed your dinner as well!
YoungLisa your Lentil recipe is on top of my pile! WOOHOO! Can't wait to try it thank you!
CYN you will always be a CA girl at heart! Enjoy the AC and let Dh mow the lawn! Ha ha at least you get alittle you time this way

Ok I know enough. Amber put down the coffee You all have a wonderful weekend and remember to take a little time for yourself. Always enjoy the food and your company. Good Night!

Old 06-18-2009, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyworld View Post
Did anyone tell you the rules here kingchef...you have to come to each of our homes so we can sample your dinner...LOL or George will take us to you.

Welcome and that sounds incredible.

KAt I too put garlic in everything. Gotta have it.
you would be most welcomed any time. remember, when you come, bring me one or two of those chicken maine lobsters, lol. not long ago, i entertained a family of six from rhode island, the izzo family. their car broke down on I-40, and i happened by. they were pitifully tired and hungry, and kingfish and i (kingfish is my 17 lb black persian) had plenty for them to eat dinner and breakfast. one of the best times i can remember. we'll see one another again. anyway, i'm a cook'n fool---or just a fool. thanks for the welcome. looks like i'll get some good advice and ideas.

Old 06-18-2009, 10:20 PM

1,116 posts, read 2,963,810 times
What'd I say...it's 12:15am and he's just now getting home..

Made some shrimp cocktail and homemade cocktail sauce so we can munch while watching scary movies together. Finished up all the work for my online class so we can reeeeeelax tomorrow till I leave for Raleigh to visit Dad for Father's Day. I'll be cooking up a storm, I'm sure.

I just made DH a batch of butterscotch blondies with a yogurt, southern comfort, and irish cream glaze. He loves when I leave town, because he always gets dessert to share with his buds when they come over to keep him company. Pitiful..sometimes I wonder who's the girl in this relationship..

Now to figure out what one-pot meal to cook for him so he doesn't starve, lol.

Old 06-18-2009, 10:40 PM

18,950 posts, read 11,594,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amberbaby27 View Post
Toosie please post you tomato and cucks with basil recipe. Never ask just post One of us foodies will like it for sure!
TOMATO, CUKE, RED ONION SALAD WITH MINT
2 large cukes
1/3 C red wine vinegar
1 TB sugar
1 tsp salt

3 large tomatoes, seeded & chopped
2/3 C chopped red onion
1/2 C chopped fresh mint
3 TB olive oil

Cut cukes in half lengthwise and scrape out seeds. Slice diagonally into 1/2" wide pieces. Let stand in large bowl with vinegar, sugar, salt for an hour at room temp. Stir once in a while.

Add tomatoes, onion, mint, oil and toss to blend. Season with salt & pepper.

This was adapted from a magazine recipe from the 90s - I used less oil and served with spicy grilled flank steak and potatoes.

Oh duh - I said basil in my original post but it really does call for mint and is so tasty.

Last edited by toosie; 06-18-2009 at 11:27 PM..

Old 06-18-2009, 11:08 PM

12,015 posts, read 11,291,389 times
Thanks Toosie!

Old 06-19-2009, 04:26 AM

48,133 posts, read 22,004,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
TOMATO, CUKE, RED ONION SALAD WITH MINT
2 large cukes
1/3 C red wine vinegar
1 TB sugar
1 tsp salt

3 large tomatoes, seeded & chopped
2/3 C chopped red onion
1/2 C chopped fresh mint
3 TB olive oil

Cut cukes in half lengthwise and scrape out seeds. Slice diagonally into 1/2" wide pieces. Let stand in large bowl with vinegar, sugar, salt for an hour at room temp. Stir once in a while.

Add tomatoes, onion, mint, oil and toss to blend. Season with salt & pepper.

This was adapted from a magazine recipe from the 90s - I used less oil and served with spicy grilled flank steak and potatoes.

Oh duh - I said basil in my original post but it really does call for mint and is so tasty.
I love the sounds of this and my mint is really taking off (taking over ?) this year...so I will need some mint recipes to keep it in line.....mint sauce on lamb isnt that frequently on the menu and you can only drink so many Mojitos.....well then again....maybe the Mojitos will take care of the mint....

Last edited by elston; 06-19-2009 at 04:42 AM..

Old 06-19-2009, 04:31 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
Cooked pork, stir fry style--small pieces cooked over high heat--with dried chopped garlic and ate that with steamed broccoli. Had to add a drizzle of oil to the pork to keep it from sticking.

Old 06-19-2009, 04:37 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,851,350 times
Good morning all-well storms thankfully did not continue thru the night but they're calling for some today.

Tonight-sausage subs on crusty bread,garlicky 3 bean salad, spinach salad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink