Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2009, 05:09 AM

256 posts, read 453,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
I need some ideas guys.....we are going to my step sons house for Fathers Day. They are making a pork lion and siad I could bring a side/salad. Any ideas???? Nothing to complicated please but yummy so I look like I can cook!
Cyn - this is a great recipe that goes with nearly anything, is light and even my picky grandchildren like it!

Marinated Tomatoes
[Adapted from Recipe Source]
Ingredients
8 Tomatoes; large (should be peeled and sliced)
2 cucumbers, peeled, sliced thinly (I added these - really adds to the texture)
2 cup Vegetable oil (I used Olive oil - I just love Tassos brand!)
1 cup red wine vinegar (originally called for 1/2 c, but I like the tartness of the extra vinegar)
1/2 tsp Mustard; dry
2 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Black pepper
2 Garlic; clove, large, minced (I used 3 cloves!)
2 Tbs Basil; fresh, chopped
4 Thyme; sprigs, fresh,chopped
2 Marjoram; fresh, sprig, chop (I didn't have fresh, so I used 1 tbsp dried leaves)
2 Tbs Scallion; minced (I use Vidalia onions in the summer, and Texas or Washington Sweets in other seasons - slice 'em thinly and layer in with the tomatoes and cukes)

Directions:
1. Scald the tomatoes and peel, then slice thinly. Layer the tomato slices, onion slices, and cucumbers so they aren't stacked, but are more overlapped.

2. Mix the oil, vinegar, mustard, salt, pepper, garlic, spices and minced scallion. Pour over the tomatoes. Chill for 1 - 24 hours before serving.

Takes me about 15-20 minutes to put it all together, then pop into refrigerator and forget it. I usually make it a day ahead of time so the flavor really develops.

Old 06-19-2009, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwesternBookWorm View Post
<SNIP> ... thought of this one that I posted in the recipes forum a while back: //www.city-data.com/forum/7477793-post2.html. It would be a perfect cool dish for a warm summer day, and you'd be astounded at how good it tastes.
<SNIP>
Midwest - I Love the way this sounds! I've stored it in my Living Cookbook software. It's a fabulous application and I recommend it to all recipe collectors. When I make it, I will leave out the red and green peppers, though, because they just tear us up!

Old 06-19-2009, 05:24 AM

10,662 posts, read 9,321,367 times
Yesterday we had two guests which I was very happy to see but... I had migraine all day, and I did not cancel just because these guests are leaving the US soon (for good) and it was our last chance to see them.
Needless to tell you it was hell to cook... But I am glad it was good.
I made some chicken with a sour cream sauce with spices and a bit of lemon, served with rice. Simple but good.

Old 06-19-2009, 05:24 AM

Last night the Ol' Curmudgeon made his variation of Tuna Salad, and served it over tomato wedges. Delicious on a hot day! There's even enough to fix for lunch today!

He's so funny, he kisses me "goodbye" in the mornings, then walks down the hall to his office and I don't see him until lunch! I really LIKE having him work from home. Telecommuting is great. I just don't like it when he has to fly out for a week at a time for site visits. GRRRRRR!

Old 06-19-2009, 05:48 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,869,300 times
Hello everyone! Hope you all are waking to dry weather.... looks like we have another day of rain heading our way. Diva and I are chilling out together while My MIL has taken Chatterbox as yesterday she was out of control like a super bouncy ball in need of attention! She will be sure to get it there. We were supposed to go to my folk's tonight to celebrated Father's Day and Hubby's Bday all in one as they are going out of town this weekend... but that isn't going to happen. I am dragging and Diva is almost over the hump. I think I am sending Hubby over to his parents for dinner and Chatterbox and I are pretty much low keying it with something easy and light on the tummy for her (I luckily haven't gotten that part of this flu- fingers crossed). Just watchin' cartoons and movies and snoozin'.... Have a great day.... hopin' for sunshine! Talk to you all later...

Old 06-19-2009, 06:25 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,505,594 times
Elston, I put two bruised sprigs of mint in every pitcher of iced tea I make.

I just made some cucumber mint salad that was pretty good. I want to try one of those savory watermelon salad recipes with some mint in it.

Other than that, I don't know what to do with it either!

Old 06-19-2009, 07:50 AM

Elston - just do a Google on Mint Recipes! You'll get more than you dreamed of.

Allrecipes alone "has more than 190 trusted mint recipes complete with ratings, reviews and cooking tips."

Then there is Epicurean, that has a whole bunch more mint recipes!

And that's just for starters. I got 6,470,000 hits!

Old 06-19-2009, 07:57 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,394,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingchef View Post
from the looks of things this afternoon and evening, i didn't know whether ya'll were going to have electricity or not. the news and weather reporters in our area were telling us that it was really bad over your way---i'm on the other side of the state---germantown/collierville. we were pummelled on friday, saturday, sunday, and monday. hail, lightening, tornado, straight winds---garden just about wrecked. i hope everything in your garden will be fine. i was going to ask about your protein in your concoction?
No need to worry about my electricity. My hubby and I live Off Grid so when everyone else loses power we don't even know it. Now the satellite TV and Interent are a whole other story. I'm sorry about your garden. Are you going to re plant? My rice mixture last night had no protein except for the little bit of cheese. Normally I would add some beans but I already had too many calories yesterday, lol.

Hi all. This is crazy weather again!!! I am at 3500 feet above sea level and we are supposed to have a high of 92 degrees today. But I think the worst of the rain is over. My satellite has been very temperamental this week.

Thank you all for the wonderful recipes. You know it's summer when we start eating lighter foods and more veggie salads. Yum.

Well the refrigerator is defrosted so it's time to go grocery shopping, woo hoo. That's my version of a child's toy store, lol. I will check back later to report on the dinner plan.

Old 06-19-2009, 07:58 AM

48,133 posts, read 22,004,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlemom View Post
Elston - just do a Google on Mint Recipes! You'll get more than you dreamed of.

Allrecipes alone "has more than 190 trusted mint recipes complete with ratings, reviews and cooking tips."

Then there is Epicurean, that has a whole bunch more mint recipes!

And that's just for starters. I got 6,470,000 hits!
I am doing the mint and melon infused sake tomorrow for my cook out! Thanks

Old 06-19-2009, 08:40 AM

5,504 posts, read 6,248,044 times
Good Morning Food Friends!

elston, I can send "furry white child" over to you. I can't keep my mint in it's large container on the deck without her eating all of it. She doesn't eat the rosemary or basil just mint & Italian parsley.

Busy day yesterday, redecorating the LR and had company for dinner. Made it very simple 15 min. cook time. Sauteed boneless chicken pieces dredged in Greek Seasoning, added halved grape tomatoes, mushrooms, shallots, garlic, parsley, basil, white wine, c. broth butter & heavy cream, Pecorino Romano cheese and topped this over Angel Hair Pasta, salad & crusty bread and called it dinner.

Cyn, I love the combination of Mozzarella, sliced Roma tomato, fresh basil on top of a slice of crispy Italian bread sprinkled with garlic, evoo & red wine vinegar. Yummy!

I hope everyone has a nice day. I will check back with you later. kelsie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink