Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 10:43 AM

1,498 posts, read 3,465,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytang24 View Post
Do you have anything to support that claim?
Its actually pretty common knowledge in culinary circles, thats why you never put a good knife in the dishwasher.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2010, 11:00 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,127,347 times
I cannot believe that. The entire blade would expand as a whole, and you're only cutting food.
If you're sawing bones with it then of course the blade may go dull.
I respectfully disagree with the notion that the warm or hot water damages the knife.

Last edited by rainroosty; 06-24-2010 at 11:26 AM..

Old 06-24-2010, 11:16 AM

812 posts, read 1,908,040 times
I have Henckels but you have to be wary of which version. They sell cheaper 1 "man" versions at Target. I think mine are the 5 star with 2 men (twins). I also have the Santoku knife hubby picked up for me in Germany on a business trip. I like it but haven't noticed a huge difference in cutting. I have been wanting a ceramic knife from Japan. Haven't been able to convince hubby I "need" a new knife!

Old 06-24-2010, 11:30 AM

5,867 posts, read 11,926,362 times
I'm sold on Wusthof's. Besides having a nice blade, they also have a really nice balance and feel to them.

Old 06-24-2010, 11:37 AM

5,120 posts, read 16,598,343 times
I have my parents Cutco knife set which they bought in the 70's. You can send your knives back to Cutco to get them sharpend once a year for a cheap rate. I love my knives. I've since bought Cutco steak knives which I use a lot--not just for cutting meat. I've also bought an additional trimmer as that's my favorite knife. All of my siblings have Cutco knife sets. When I go to other people's home and I have to use knives that aren't Cutco, it makes me appreciate mine all the more.

Old 06-24-2010, 02:59 PM

3,037 posts, read 5,929,780 times
I'm sorry. I know nothing about knives. I just saw your thread title and was going to suggest the two of you just talk it out first...

Old 06-24-2010, 04:49 PM

5,120 posts, read 16,598,343 times
LOL LOL LOL LOL Good one!

Old 06-24-2010, 07:42 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,701,834 times
Good one jacq!

Cooking for engineers is great and while most things haven't changed, that comparison was done in 2005 and with out of the retail box knives...If you have those knives professionally sharpened then compared you'd most likely have different results...

Best knife is one you can keep sharp...To keep it sharp you must treat it like glass not throw it loosely in a drawer and you'll want to never put it in the dishwasher, hand wash and immediately hand dry...If none of that interests you, get a victorinox fibrox 8-inch chef's knife and buy a new one when it gets dull, they're only $30 shipped from amazon.

If you're willing to take the necessary care, you're down to three categories...Buy you're own sharpener and sharpen yourself at home, find and pay someone to sharpen it or buy a knife that includes sharpening for life...If you want to either do it yourself or bring it to a pro, the top of models of Cutco, wusthof and Henckels are far from the best, they all suffer from too thick of a blade for what's known as a wedging effect...People including professional chefs are under the false impression that heavier means higher quality...The Japanese with their hard thin steel are the best of the best...Misono UX10 ranks as the best knife for cutting, period. If you want to send in your knife to have it sharpened for life, get a shun, they sharpen for free but you pay S&H. If you really want some counter bling, Ken Onion Kershaw which is a shun w/free sharpening and has a stand to shows off your knife.

Old 06-24-2010, 07:54 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
William Sonoma currently has quite a sale on chef's knives.

Chef Knives, Santoku Knives, Chef’s & Santoku Knives | Williams-Sonoma

Old 06-25-2010, 09:55 AM

3,042 posts, read 5,001,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man Winter View Post
Its actually pretty common knowledge in culinary circles, thats why you never put a good knife in the dishwasher.
That's not why you never put them in the dishwasher. They get banged up against other objects, it's hazardous to remove, and the handles are easily damaged if they are wood. Same reason you don't put knives in the sink.

So, is there any evidence that shows the metal in a knife expands and contracts enough under normal washing conditions to affect the sharpness of the blade?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink