Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 05:22 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,486,926 times

Advertisements

10% of China's GDP is actually stuff made for Walmart!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2009, 06:20 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
10% of China's GDP is actually stuff made for Walmart!
Yep. It is pretty sickening what WalMart has managed to do to manufacturing in this country. No one seems to talk about that, tho.

CNN - Money: 2/2009:

Meet Wal-Mart's new boss: Mike Duke - Feb. 18, 2009

Its annual revenue of $400 billion exceeds Norway's GDP; it employs over two million people, more than the population of Philadelphia. It operates 7,000 stores worldwide and has held the No. 1 spot on the Fortune 500 for six of the last seven years. (Exxon Mobil (XOM, Fortune 500) beat Wal-Mart out for pole position in 2006 fiscal year sales.)

Old 06-22-2009, 06:46 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,486,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Yep. It is pretty sickening what WalMart has managed to do to manufacturing in this country. No one seems to talk about that, tho.

CNN - Money: 2/2009:

Meet Wal-Mart's new boss: Mike Duke - Feb. 18, 2009

Its annual revenue of $400 billion exceeds Norway's GDP; it employs over two million people, more than the population of Philadelphia. It operates 7,000 stores worldwide and has held the No. 1 spot on the Fortune 500 for six of the last seven years. (Exxon Mobil (XOM, Fortune 500) beat Wal-Mart out for pole position in 2006 fiscal year sales.)
It's downright disheartening what Walmart has done to many Mom and Pop stores that kept many cities' downtowns afloat for years. Everyone decries their loss, but favor convenience and low price over quality!

Old 06-22-2009, 07:37 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,510,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeout View Post
Have you been to China or you just get this image from TV?
If you think what you saw on TV is what it is, then it pretty much explains why Americans not only cannot produce cloth/toy/food/electronics/furnitures... in competitive price like Chinese manufactures do, but also would be failing the battle on car industrial like happending right now.

You cannot blame the corporates who imported. they did this because most of the averages like YOU like it, or maybe, can only afford it.

fadeout,

There is more than ample proof as to the poor qualities and standards in that cess pool called China. The lack of human rights there is disgusting !!

Our country is being sold down the river by so-called corporations, it has nothing to do with the citizens of THIS country yet the greed of corporate america.

As consumers, the power that we hold right now is our buying power. If we stay out of wal-marts and focus on buying American made/grown only then we can take care of our very own!

The OP mentioned buying food, fish etc... from that cess pool. This past weekend while in Charleston, SC it was mentioned that the fishing industry is quickly fading do to people accepting fish from China. That is sad !

In our home, we do NOT purchase anything unless it is made/grown in the US. What we do buy does cost a tad bit more but that is fine as long as we are helping THIS country. If we can not buy USA then we don't need it!
We always encourage others to do the same.

Corporate America is a large part of this countries downfall. And for you to imply that American citizens WANT or deserve anything less than the best, well to stay w/in forum rules I will simply ask...do YOU support USA made/grown only?

Old 06-22-2009, 07:44 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,510,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTKing View Post
Nothing wrong with Chinese products. How quickly we forget the peanut butter scared from GA, and also e-coli on spinaches not too long ago.

again...all roads lead back to corporate greed.

Old 06-22-2009, 08:01 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,718,482 times
I'm not going to lie, I don't buy organic or many american products because the cost is just too high.

I don't blame many who shop at Walmart or Target like I do.

Fire away....

Old 06-22-2009, 08:21 PM

182 posts, read 439,902 times
Default Buy locally grown, websites included!

Consider buying locally grown at farmer's markets or check these websites that can help you ensure freshness and quality! Not from China!

Buy Local's Page - iMatthews.com - Matthews NC

Charlotte Local Food

NC Farm Fresh

Off The Vine Produce - LocalHarvest

Poplar Ridge Farm - Organic CSA - Charlotte, NC (http://www.poplarridgefarmnc.com/faq.cfm - broken link)

Happy Hunting!

Old 06-22-2009, 08:23 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,718,482 times
Correction. I do buy all my veggies at local farmers markets (except for the ones I grow myself).

Old 06-23-2009, 04:58 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,697,656 times
Default Bath products

This past Christmas I rec'd a basket of products to use in the tub, shower, body etc. First time use I'm itching all over. Second time use I'm accused of sleeping around.

Sure enough, made in China. In fact it was right around the time, or shortly thereafter that there was one of those scandels in the news. By New Year's day the gift was out at the curb.

Old 06-23-2009, 07:20 AM

830 posts, read 1,529,664 times
The thinly veiled racism on this thread is pretty sad.

Yes, there are a lot of issues in China with rampant greed/speculation, lax oversight, an impending environmental catastrophe and poor product quality. After decades of stagnation, there is now a me-first, get rich quick ethos among an oligarchic class that goes against thousands of years of history and culture.

However, what is going on in China now is no different than in the US, Britain and other Western countries during the industrial revolution. Working conditions in many factories may be poor, but still much preferable to conditions in the rural countryside/villages. There's an unbelievable work ethic and a desire to create a better life for oneself and family. There is a good reason that millions of migrant workers travel from farms to Shenzhen, Shanghai and other cities in search of factory work. There are absolutely unscrupulous factory owners and business people who take advantage, either trying to make more money for themselves or because their being squeezed to cut costs to remain competitive. To judge China, India, Brasil or any other developing country based on our standards today is a bit unfair.

To be sure, there is a ticking time bomb in China as the gulf between rich and poor, urban and rural continues to grow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink