Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 06:55 PM

2,152 posts, read 6,798,005 times

Advertisements

Does anyone else here hold any oppostition to feeding their family food products that were made in China?

In the past week I have gone to Earthfare (Where they read the labels, so you don't have to!) and found a cracker that was specifically marketed towards toddlers that was made in China, and also went to Harris Teeter and found some prepackaged DOLE diced apples in a cup that were packed in China and made from Chinese Apples.

Frankly with what went on last year with the Melamine in infant formula I am appalled that grocery stores, especially the higher dollar ones are allowing this to happen.

What do you all think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2009, 07:43 AM

279 posts, read 1,085,600 times
Ditto on that ... the packaged frozen crawfish at HT are from China, and DH and I will not be buying them, much as we love crawfish. I cannot understand why, with our proximity to Louisianna, they do not sell crawfish from the U.S.?? I will happily pay more for them (it's not like HT ever appears to sell out of the Chinese ones).

Old 06-22-2009, 10:54 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
I only started looking at the country of origin for fish in the last few years, after discovering I was paying a premium price for salmon and it was from China. China is sooo polluted - there is no way I want to eat fish from somewhere in China!!!! Hubby bought some Tilapia a few weeks ago (frozen) and didn't realize it was from China. I threw it out.

I bought dried apples recently and to my horror, when I read the package while munching on them, they were from China. Why would I want to eat apples from China - where they were probably grown in contaminated fields w/ nasty polluted water and god only knows what type of insecticides on them . . . and who knows what sanitation was in place in the warehouse where they were dried, etc.

Plus - why are American grocers buying this crap from China - when we grow wonderful apples in the state of Washington? (heck, we grow them here in NC).

I told my H-T manager that I was disappointed to see these products on the shelves and hoped corporate would stop buying this stuff from China - and support our own country's farmers, instead. I also said I would pay more if I knew it was made in the USA.

I think we should all do that. Better yet, write a letter!

My dad was upset to find that about 1/4 of all the generic drugs we ingest are made in China - where lab controls are inconsistent. After the melamine situation (and lead discoveries!!!) - why on earth would businesses think we would want to buy products from China? It is all b/c their stuff is dirt cheap (and of suspect quality, as well).

I am tired of it and until we rebel and stop buying the stuff, corporations will keep importing it.

Old 06-22-2009, 12:50 PM

4 posts, read 14,146 times
Have you been to China or you just get this image from TV?
If you think what you saw on TV is what it is, then it pretty much explains why Americans not only cannot produce cloth/toy/food/electronics/furnitures... in competitive price like Chinese manufactures do, but also would be failing the battle on car industrial like happending right now.

You cannot blame the corporates who imported. they did this because most of the averages like YOU like it, or maybe, can only afford it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
...where they were probably grown in contaminated fields w/ nasty polluted water and god only knows what type of insecticides on them . . . and who knows what sanitation was in place in the warehouse where they were dried, etc.

Old 06-22-2009, 01:20 PM

1,241 posts, read 2,320,535 times
Its all about the Price. People want to make a ton of money in the USA but do not want to pay a ton of money for the items they want/need. Why do you think Walmart doesnt pay their employees as much as Target. People want cheap prices and one of the biggest expenses for a company is wages and benefits. Same thing goes with Chinese or other asian goods. Its still cheaper to have the goods shipped from another country than to buy it from your own.

I partially blame Unions for this but thats another story.

Old 06-22-2009, 01:58 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,486,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepulgeek View Post
Its all about the Price. People want to make a ton of money in the USA but do not want to pay a ton of money for the items they want/need. Why do you think Walmart doesnt pay their employees as much as Target. People want cheap prices and one of the biggest expenses for a company is wages and benefits. Same thing goes with Chinese or other asian goods. Its still cheaper to have the goods shipped from another country than to buy it from your own.

I partially blame Unions for this but thats another story.
Sepulgeek - What about all the NC textile workers, most of whom were not unionized? Haines T-Shirts and Underwear are really not much cheaper than they were, when they were made right here in NC. Greedy companies are as much at fault, as any of the unions are!

Old 06-22-2009, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeout View Post
Have you been to China or you just get this image from TV?
If you think what you saw on TV is what it is, then it pretty much explains why Americans not only cannot produce cloth/toy/food/electronics/furnitures... in competitive price like Chinese manufactures do, but also would be failing the battle on car industrial like happending right now.

You cannot blame the corporates who imported. they did this because most of the averages like YOU like it, or maybe, can only afford it.
Excuse me? No, I have not been to China but I have worked w/ a business that imports from China (furniture) and heard first hand descriptions from the CEO re: working conditions, sanitation, crime, etc.

I know for a fact that our trademarks and intellectual property are being ripped off on a daily basis in China . . . and I know that people are paid low wages to work long hours. That is why Chinese stuff is cheap - that and manufacturers taking shortcuts and doing stuff like using substandard materials and having inconsistent (if any) quality control.

I can afford to buy whatever I feel I need to purchase - or do without. That is not the point. The point is that Chinese companies are not reliable w/ their quality control and their workers are often treated like slave labor.

I don't have to go to China to know that the Chinese have been exporting toys w/ lead in them, food with melamine in it and drugs w/o the right amount of active ingredients - these have been international stories.

Old 06-22-2009, 02:02 PM

1,092 posts, read 2,698,512 times
Nothing wrong with Chinese products. How quickly we forget the peanut butter scared from GA, and also e-coli on spinaches not too long ago.

Old 06-22-2009, 02:08 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,486,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTKing View Post
Nothing wrong with Chinese products. How quickly we forget the peanut butter scared from GA, and also e-coli on spinaches not too long ago.
The difference is that defective or unhealthful products are often discovered much more quickly and sometimes by the manufacturer or producer along with the FDA and the FTC. No such counterpart exists in China to monitor unsafe products!

Old 06-22-2009, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
The difference is that defective or unhealthful products are often discovered much more quickly and sometimes by the manufacturer or producer along with the FDA and the FTC. No such counterpart exists in China to monitor unsafe products!
No kidding. You said it all.

That's exactly what I meant when I said - "quality control."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink