Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 10:44 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,843,220 times

Advertisements

I absolutely love cooking and love entertaining. I'm an organized cook-clean as I go so there's not much mess to clean up-more time to enjoy.

My greatest pleasure is when we go back to NJ seeing the joy on my son-in-laws and grandkids faces when they walk in an smell what's cooking. My daughter's only appliance she uses is the phone on speed dial.

I guess too I cope with stress by cooking-when my Dad was dying my sister did the hands on nurse part and I cooked constantly.

I've been cooking since age 13 and even many,many years later still love it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2009, 02:04 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,726,125 times
i'm a eat to live person don't care for 2 to 3 hours of cooking and cleaning up all the mess.. i do like grilling though!!!! love the smells coming off the grills hmmmmm can u smell it now ribeye steaks lobster shrimp chicken spare ribs grilled corn should i go on

Old 10-02-2009, 07:02 AM

2,184 posts, read 5,548,973 times
I love reading cook books & have an embarrassingly large collection... Embarrassing because I don't really like getting down to cooking very often. When I do, it's ingredient intensive, not compositional intensive... Probably because of low attention span for the activity.

Now that I'm about 50, I enjoy food/eating but I don't enjoy the frequency expected of me... I do feel eating frequently is a boring chore. At work, I get really nervous & need to eat to bring my insulin levels down, so I look like an eating freak. Constant protien consumption.

When I was growing up, my mother's challenge was to get me to eat dinner. I ate almost nothing for breakfast & sometimes no lunch. By dinner time I was probably famished but still overly suspicious of anything on my plate. It seemed she was always trying to get something down my gullet.

I was a shy, introspective child who read constantly as there were only 3 tv channels on our b&w tv. I still love reading. This forum supplies ample material! Anyway, I am the type of person who prefers to mostly be left alone, so perhaps that factors into the "not a foodie" thing. I do enjoy a small select group of people around me, but I'm really a wall flower at a big function. I'm the one who wants to be invisible in the background, washing the dishes. I'll wash if you dry! Or vicey versey!

Maybe it was a control thing - not liking to eat... My upbringing was in a single parent household by a handicapped mother. Perhaps "not eating" was one of the ways I felt I had some control over my life? I'm not sure but I've always been unrelentingly over skeptical about whatever I'm "supposed" to eat. I insist on my own autonomy. And I respect that in others.

I'm not a foodie but most around me are: we peacefully coexist & I certainly appreciate their talents!

Kate

Old 10-03-2009, 05:24 AM

1,052 posts, read 1,647,310 times
Yuck...reading this thread made me realized that I am slowly turning into one of the "zombies" that eat only for sustenance...and even then, it's a hassle xD

Of course, my excuse is that I'm a full time student (17 U) that bounces between two campuses, taking on a volunteer internship, and living far away from home sweet home.

Though, I'm trying to get myself back on track by making good food rather than eat out (McD is making me fat and my wallet empty). So anyone have any non-hassle, yet delicious recipes that are not only budget friendly for a poor college student like myself, but also quick?

Old 10-03-2009, 08:22 AM

2,184 posts, read 5,548,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Lune View Post
Yuck...reading this thread made me realized that I am slowly turning into one of the "zombies" that eat only for sustenance...and even then, it's a hassle...So anyone have any non-hassle, yet delicious recipes that are not only budget friendly for a poor college student like myself, but also quick?
A/ Questions veering from the Original Post are considered... an opportunity to begin your own thread.
B/ Often those questions have answers available from previous posts... There's a nifty search box on each page. Within a forum (such as FOOD/Drink), one may search for a topic.

For example... Healthy Frozen food recommendations - if one can shop at Walmart, the lowest prices are available.
Recipes - this is a subforum where you can search for easy recipes, healthy snacks...

As previously stated, I'm the type who eats because I have to... However I hate cooking, although I'm fascinated. I've come to have a fascination with recipes.

So I look in these forums for ideas on low number ingredients (hence fewer steps) & healthy, flavorful combinations.

Kate

Old 10-03-2009, 09:17 PM

515 posts, read 716,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
It's just me. I might get a pizza at the store to eat for Thanksgiving or Christmas. Splurge a little.
To me, your statement is a heart breaker.

Old 07-07-2015, 05:35 PM

1 posts, read 644 times
Default I can relate

I can totally relate to this subject. So much so I typed into google "why don't I care about food". I do love to cook and especially bake but I don't care if I eat it or not. I rarely ever eat anything I bake as I'm not into sweets. I never liked desert even as a child. I have eight grown children. While raising them I loved our time around the dinner table. I also loved having people over for meals. I entertained at least once a week but usually more. Now that the kids are grown and it's just me and hubby, I hate the entire issue of "What's for dinner" I get hungry but I don't really care what it is I eat. I do chose to eat healthy. My personal opinion about this is I have eaten healthy for so long that I don't get cravings like most people. Unhealthy foods make my body feel so yucky if I eat more than a few bites

Old 07-07-2015, 10:30 PM

2,894 posts, read 2,450,103 times
I used to love it. Really, really enjoyed it. Now, due to a bunch of reasons, there's no joy in it for me anymore. It makes me very sad, actually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink