Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 01:10 PM
bjh bjh started this thread

60,055 posts, read 30,368,879 times

Advertisements

..what would you consider essentials for your pantry or refrigerator?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2009, 01:12 PM

1,142 posts, read 2,815,051 times
Milk, eggs, salad, canned veggies, chicken, fruit (canned or fresh) and potatoes (oh, and some form of chocolate). There is a lot more but I'm not sure how far you want us to go!

Old 06-28-2009, 01:22 PM

821 posts, read 2,011,153 times
milk would be the only thing I would run out of
(for some reason, my cabinets are stocked just in case it snows for a month in June)

Old 06-28-2009, 01:35 PM

Go as far as you like. I'd really like to know. WE'll be spending a couple of weeks in a slightly remote house soon.

I was thinking of it in terms of meals, but you can answer any way you like of course:
Breakfast: eggs, oatmeal, bananas or other fruit
Lunch: sandwich bread, lunchmeats, soups
Dinner: some form of dead animal, veg's frozen and canned

Definitely chocolate!

I know I'm leaving stuff out. Please help!

Old 06-28-2009, 01:58 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,332,100 times
I'm kind of obsessive about planning for this kind of thing, and I always start out by planning out daily menus, complete with snacks, for the entire time I'll be gone. Then I go through each day's menu and list every single thing I'll need to prepare every dish, both food and utensils. Then I make my actual shopping and packing lists. A sample food shopping/packing list is below.

Caveat: the following assumes that you have ample refrigerator and freezer space. If you are camping and will be relying on an ice chest to keep things cool, the list would be very different.

Mornings:
Coffee, half-n-half (or other coffee whitener of your choice), sugar or other sweetener, juice, yogurt, buttermilk and/or kefir, eggs, bread, butter/margarine, jam/jelly/peanut butter/honey, possibly flour and baking soda (or pancake mix) plus syrup if you like pancakes, bacon, sausage and/or ham, fruit, possibly some sort of granola cereal, grits, oatmeal.

Mid-day:
Bread, peanut butter, honey, butter or margarine, cheese, mayonnaise, tuna, possibly lunchmeat if you like that sort of thing, carrots, celery, bell pepper and other crunchy vegetable-type things, lots of fruit, snacky stuff like chips if you're into that sort of thing, beverages as preferred. Possibly canned soups if it'll be in a somewhat chilly region.

Suppers:
Meat and fish pre-portioned and frozen in one-meal-size packages, several varieties of cheese (grated sharp cheddar, mozzarella, Parmesan, possibly cream cheese), pastas in various shapes, rice (brown and white both), a sack of potatoes, a sack of onions, assorted summer vegetables (zucchini, summer squash, broccoli, asparagus if it's in season, pat-a-pan squash, kohlrabi, mushrooms, tomatoes, spinach, etc.), olive oil, vegetable oil, pan spray.

Seasonings:
Garlic (fresh and dried), parsley, oregano, thyme, basil, salt & pepper, Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, pepper sauce of your choice, possibly baking spices if you plan French toast or something that would call for cinnamon or nutmeg, other seasonings that you frequently use.

Have fun on your trip!

Old 06-28-2009, 02:09 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,071,257 times
I always buy more than I need from the grocery store cause I live in hurricane alley currently and I always make sure that there are more than enough staples in my pantry to get us through . My grandmother always taught us to buy more than we need cause she lived during the war in Italy and she used to tell us about eating out of garbage cans . she said it was horrible and that we were lucky to live in a time where food is easily gotten .

Old 06-28-2009, 02:15 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,928,986 times
I eat only one meal a day, so my needs would be simple. As long as I have some eggs, onions, chile peppers, sharp cheddar, canned chili and canned salsa, I could go for months. And beans. Can't forget the beans. Black beans, preferably.

Old 06-28-2009, 03:25 PM

5,504 posts, read 6,245,086 times
We are going on vacation in the Fall and I have my own full kitchen. Myself, like MWBW, make a list before I leave home. When we arrive at our destination I have my list and go to the supermarket.

Non foods: Paper towels, napkins, paper plates, plastic wrap & foil. Food storage bags, take & go ref. containers.

Condiments: mustard, mayo, ketchup, horseradish, (for Bloody Mary's & cocktail sauce) olive oil & vinegar, Italian Seasoning, Greek seasoning, s&p, Garlic Powder

Lemons & white wine for cooking, unsweetened butter

garlic, onions

Breakfast: eggs, coffee, half & half (we don't use sugar), oj & V-8, Simply delicious potatoes in the ref. section all ready diced. Bread for toast.

Lunch: Fresh shrimp, lettuce, tomato, lunch meats & cheese

Dinners: Chicken, Fish, fresh vegetables, chop meat

Bottled water, coke

Hope this helps.

Old 06-28-2009, 03:43 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Beans Rice Onions Cornmeal. It wouldn't matter what else there was for variety, those would be the basics that could get me, if necessary, through two weeks, two months, two years.

Old 06-28-2009, 03:55 PM

There is a full-size fridge, btw.

Thanks, everyone, for your answers. Keep 'em coming. I'm like Santa, "making a list, checking it twice."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink