Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 07:27 PM

718 posts, read 2,360,692 times

Advertisements

I have to admit, I have an addiction to crushed ice. I seek out the places which still serve it. I will go out of my way to pick up a large cup of ice, Now, after numerous trips to the waterpark, I have found shaved ice (without the flavored syrup) to be even better. After looking online, the big ice shavers are really expensive! There are a few sold at Walmart or Target. Has anyone every used these and could recommend one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2008, 08:02 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,487,887 times
you mean like the snoopy snow cone maker? lol--just kidding

Old 06-10-2008, 09:28 PM

718 posts, read 2,360,692 times
I used to have one of those, along with my Easy Bake Oven! No really, in my limited research, a snow cone's ice is crunchy almost grainy. Wheras the shaved ice is very smooth in texture (I told you it was an addiction - maybe more like an obsession)!

Hamilton Beach Icy Treats Maker - 68050 : Target

Something like this is what I was talking about, I guess for $20 it really doesn't matter, the kids will love it if it does not work!

Old 06-10-2008, 10:53 PM

i think what you like is the Granita texture--very smooth. but those machines are for commercial use ad very expensive.---but you might want to type granita and see if you find anything

Old 06-11-2008, 09:30 PM

161 posts, read 384,286 times
If you find a machine that makes that perfect snow cone ice, let me know. I am also very much addicted to snow cones- without the flavoring

Old 06-12-2008, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vter4ever View Post
If you find a machine that makes that perfect snow cone ice, let me know. I am also very much addicted to snow cones- without the flavoring
so what you really like is crumbled ice?

Old 06-12-2008, 10:05 AM

161 posts, read 384,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
so what you really like is crumbled ice?
Exactly! But it doesn't sound as weird if I say I like snow cones without flavor. I actually asked for that one time last summer at a fair and the guy refused to sell it to me, he said it was too odd. So I just took it with the flavoring

Old 07-25-2009, 09:31 AM

1 posts, read 6,487 times
Not trying to be humorus, your description is definitely not shaved ice machine, but would be one of the least expensive home snow cone makers. Doesn't have to be a named brand. I too like ice that is easy to break down and my solution is one of the under the sink filter's that has it's own faucet, which I use for cooking, ice, etc., and have a variety of ice trays I fill only half way. I like this ice as it is not hard to break down for some reason, and no snow cone machine is necessary!

Old 07-25-2009, 04:36 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,116,285 times
//www.city-data.com/forum/food-...mmer-heat.html

There is one by Rival that I picked up from Walmart for less than 20 bucks a while ago. This thing is holding up great and cranks out the shaved ice. I love it and for the price if it only lasts one summer I won't feel cheated... though I expect it will last much longer than that.

Old 07-25-2009, 07:22 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,044,034 times
Oooooh I am so with you! I have a gross confession to make: we used to live in Texas in this old house with a freezer that you had to defrost yourself. Ice would build up inside it. I used to grab a spoon and scrape that stuff and eat it! GROSS!! But it was so good. I didn't do it too often because I was worried there might be some weird stuff in it... I don't know... freon or whatever cooling agent was used in old freezers... but anyway...

I've seen those ice shavers at Target, too, and have often been tempted to buy one.... I wonder if Bed Bath and Beyond has one? They have a lot of fun kitchen gadgets and small appliances...

Just did a quick search and found this: Bed Bath & Beyond - Deni® Automatic Ice Crusher

Couldn't you also get a good blender that does ice? Like for margarita maker/blender?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink