Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 04:56 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,753,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
That wasn't meant as an insult. The north tends to be more expensive and more rude than the south. Even you guys say so.
Yeah, I hear that a lot... From the bashing see through southerners.
It's all a bunch of hypocrites judging hypocrites.

BTW, some of those Publix pics look like art museums.

Old 07-17-2009, 05:08 PM

3,260 posts, read 8,731,743 times
I Never heard of Publix!

In Dallas-Ft. Worth the only stores we have are Kroger, Tom Thumb (Safeway),Minyard, Albertsons, Fiesta,Walmart, Sack 'N Save Warehouse Food Stores (Minyard) and Whole Foods.

Safeway pulled out of Texas in the 80s so some of the former stores are vacant or they were converted into Minyard.

Former Safeway now Minyard

Stores that are only in Texas

Tom Thumb

Sack 'N Save Warehouse Food Stores

Fiesta

Old 07-17-2009, 05:37 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,641,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladarron View Post
I Never heard of Publix!

In Dallas-Ft. Worth the only stores we have are Kroger, Tom Thumb (Safeway),Minyard, Albertsons, Fiesta,Walmart, Sack 'N Save Warehouse Food Stores (Minyard) and Whole Foods.

Safeway pulled out of Texas in the 80s so some of the former stores are vacant or they were converted into Minyard.

Former Safeway now Minyard

Stores that are only in Texas

Tom Thumb

Sack 'N Save Warehouse Food Stores

Fiesta
Your Minyard's resemble our winn dixie stores:

I think this was after a hurricane in Boca Raton, (thats what the site says) thats why it looks like this lol

Old 07-17-2009, 05:48 PM

3,260 posts, read 8,731,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
Your Minyard's resemble our winn dixie stores:

I think this was after a hurricane in Boca Raton, (thats what the site says) thats why it looks like this lol
In Dallas we had a Winn-Dixie but when Minyard opened across the street it soon closed.

Here is a former Winn-Dixie store in the Dallas suburb of Grand Prairie.

http://grandprairiereporter.com/images/2008-05-06_0007_Photos.JPG (broken link)

The Minyard don't all look the same (former Super Safeway)

http://www.fortworthyesterday.com/Minyard-Belknap-2007.jpg (broken link)

Old 07-17-2009, 07:01 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,641,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladarron View Post
In Dallas we had a Winn-Dixie but when Minyard opened across the street it soon closed.

Here is a former Winn-Dixie store in the Dallas suburb of Grand Prairie.

The Minyard don't all look the same (former Super Safeway)

I was talking about the Minyard in the pic you posted earlier, thats the first time ive ever seen a minyard so i didnt know that others were different. But the one in your first post does resemble the winn dixie stores

Old 07-17-2009, 07:16 PM

3,435 posts, read 6,956,698 times
In Albuquerque we have Smith's all over the suburbs, owned by Kroger.

Old 07-17-2009, 09:43 PM

2,266 posts, read 2,278,925 times
Publix sucks and here in South Florida, they have almost complete monopoly.

Old 07-17-2009, 10:33 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,763,487 times
Publix has taken over Kroger in the Atlanta area. There's one two blocks from my house. Overall they're "ok" I guess, but there's a lack of variety and good prices compared to other places.

Old 07-17-2009, 11:01 PM

12,385 posts, read 28,380,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Publix has taken over Kroger in the Atlanta area. There's one two blocks from my house. Overall they're "ok" I guess, but there's a lack of variety and good prices compared to other places.
in my experience, unless you just buy sales items... the variety and quality of stuff just isn't that good in comparison... and it is going to make your grocery bill higher. Now if you eat a lot of brand name stuff and buy the b1g1 stuff, you might save there... If your palate is wider and you eat a wide range of food, especially ethnic stuff, or lots of quality produce (publix coats theirs in wax and wraps their organic in plastic) you could do better elsewhere. Publix "Green section" will also rip you a new you know what...can be found drastically cheaper elsewhere.
If you are just looking for a clean nice shopping atmosphere, if you need a few basic items and want to get out fast , then in that department, I do think publix wins... but not for other stuff, particularly the quality of the produce and meat/seafood department are rather average in my opinion.
Nationwide there are several big box grocers that do a better job than Publix, in the south east they might be your best option though, as the options are pretty lacking across the board outside a few major metros.

Old 07-17-2009, 11:12 PM

2,266 posts, read 2,278,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
I wish we had Kroger down here, just for the variety. Publix has the monopoly and while I'll admit (OK), they don't "suck" per se, I would love to have a few alternatives, in terms of grocery shopping. We do have Whole Foods and Winn-Dixie, but Whole Foods is for uber-rich people and Winn-Dixie is far too small/cramped for my liking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.