Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: After listening to this podcast:
I believe the interviewee has valid concerns and will investigate further. 4 80.00%
I believe the interviewee has valid concerns, but I will not investigate further. 1 20.00%
I don't believe it. 0 0%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 06:49 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,549,026 times

Advertisements

I just listened to this podcast, and was chilled to my bones to learn some of the information this interviewee revealed about his findings in making his movie, "Food, Inc." I will be looking for that movie, but in the meantime would be interested in learning the reactions from you.

Link to (free) podcast:

Food, Inc. - Interview With Director Robert Kenner . NOW on PBS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2009, 08:03 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
I've been investigating for awhile now. Fast Food Nation was horrifying.
Here is a trailer to Food, Inc., and a print interview with Robert Kenner.

Trailer
"People have got to start demanding good wholesome food--and we will deliver, I promise."

Print Interview
This is a system that ultimately took over the supermarket as well. When we shop, we’re buying the same industrialized meats from the same sources that restaurants and processed food purveyors use.

Old 07-22-2009, 08:18 AM

1,032 posts, read 3,918,449 times
I saw Food Inc. this weekend. Unfortunately it was nothing new to me, as I have been following this topic for quite awhile - still a powerful movie that anyone who eats meat should watch.

Old 07-22-2009, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsbadmojo View Post
I saw Food Inc. this weekend. Unfortunately it was nothing new to me, as I have been following this topic for quite awhile - still a powerful movie that anyone who eats meat should watch.
I worry that the movie will only be preaching to the choir.
I dunno, maybe that would be enough to get a real movement going.

Old 07-22-2009, 08:41 AM

1,032 posts, read 3,918,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
I worry that the movie will only be preaching to the choir.
I dunno, maybe that would be enough to get a real movement going.
Seeing the movie wasn't exactly easy. None of the megaplex cinemas near me have it; but I found an indy theater. It was pretty crowded, but it was opening weekend too, so hard to tell.

Old 07-22-2009, 09:54 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,491,759 times
i want to cry...not even for myself, but for my son who is 3. who knows what affects all the milk he drinks is having and will have on his future health. he is already taller than most kids his age. i keep him away from fast food, but from what i just saw, it doesnt really matter much since the fast food companies control even what we buy in the supermarkets. i guess it's time to use the organic farms we have nearby---even though we wont get the same amount for our money.

Old 07-22-2009, 10:21 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
I just listened to this podcast, and was chilled to my bones to learn some of the information this interviewee revealed about his findings in making his movie, "Food, Inc." I will be looking for that movie, but in the meantime would be interested in learning the reactions from you.

It is a slick piece of propaganda much along the lines of Leni Riefenstahl.

In the "old days" before CBS became politicized, CBS Reports documentaries like "Harvest of Shame" were the golden standard of how to do a news documentary.

Old 07-22-2009, 12:46 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,549,026 times
Default Do tell, please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
It is a slick piece of propaganda much along the lines of Leni Riefenstahl.

In the "old days" before CBS became politicized, CBS Reports documentaries like "Harvest of Shame" were the golden standard of how to do a news documentary.
I am not familiar with either Leni Riefenstahl, nor "Harvest of Shame."

On the slim chance that there might be others also unfamiliar, please do elaborate. To merely dismiss something without explaining further would be unfair to those of us with a true concern.

Thank you.

Old 07-22-2009, 02:00 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
I am not familiar with either Leni Riefenstahl, nor "Harvest of Shame."

On the slim chance that there might be others also unfamiliar, please do elaborate. To merely dismiss something without explaining further would be unfair to those of us with a true concern.

Thank you.
There is always Wikipedia.

When an activist produces a film, there is generally not an opportunity for BOTH sides to be presented. NO one, including myself, would appear on camera when they believe that their response may be edited in a manner that their position will be misrepresented. In the film, the large agribusinesses would not participate - and I don't blame them.

Food Inc. presents a one-sided view of the issue.

Old 07-22-2009, 02:37 PM

While I agree that film can be edited, interviews can come out slanted, etc etc there is no getting around the fact that HFCS and a whole bunch of other crap permeate our diet. Corn rules, as does soybean.
And it is difficult for me to believe that Monsanto has my best interests at heart.
Of course we are never going back to the pre-industrial agrarian days, but we all could eat a lot more nutritiously, if the agribusinesses would only let us.
"there’s something horribly wrong with a system in which a bag of chips cost less than a bag of carrots."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink