Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 06:32 PM

181 posts, read 323,859 times

Advertisements

Yeah, figures... Everyone knows Bulgogi and Kim Chi. I spent time in Seoul, have family that is Korean, dated a Korean girl for two years, and you really cannot judge Korean food based on what you get here. I also have friends from Hong Kong, Thailand, Taiwan, Vietnam, Malaysia, and so on. I have eaten at their homes and had a lot of different authentic Asian dishes. I love all these foods (except Chinese -- authentic or otherwise), but what most Americans know of these dishes is not what they really eat in their homes.

My Chinese friends always get a kick out of Americans ordering crap like Kung Pao Chicken.

BTW, this is not meant as an insult to you, but just an observation/grumbling that people don't really know the dishes of these cultures
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2010, 06:34 PM

2,053 posts, read 4,816,054 times
Well, personally I have been eating sushi for almost 20 years now.

First time I ate it was bc I wanted to try Japanese food and it looked really good. The chef had adorned the sushi with some kind of fried noodle fan that was terrific.

I could not love it more. I love every kind, except for the ones with fish eggs or avocado (but I do not like these ingredients anyway).

It is not a posh dish at all. I have had it at very small sushi houses with just a few seats. Very informal setting, and phenomenal food.

Very few dishes I have tried (and I am a foodie!) are better than fresh tuna sushi (maguro/toro niguiri). Oh wait! There is temakki too!!!! Yum!!!

Last edited by Miaiam; 05-20-2010 at 06:55 PM..

Old 05-20-2010, 06:49 PM

897 posts, read 1,688,689 times
Going back to Sushi,I love eel and sea urchin sushi.

Old 05-20-2010, 08:10 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,452,476 times
Here's an interesting parallel topic from Food Timeline: food history & historic recipes:

Quote:
At the tail end of the 19th century (in the United States) the domestic science/home economics movement took hold. Proponents of this new science were obsessed with control. They considered tossed plates of mixed greens "messy" and eschewed them in favor of "orderly presentations." Salad items were painstakingly separated, organized, and presented. Molded gelatin (Jell-O, et al) salads proliferated because they offered maximum control.
"Salad greens, which did have to be served raw and crisp, demanded more complicated measures. The object of scientific salad making was to subdue the raw greens until they bore as little resemblance as possible to their natural state. If a plain green salad was called for, the experts tried to avoid simply letting a disorganized pile of leaves drop messily onto the plate...This arduous approach to salad making became an identifying feature of cooking-school cookery and the signature of a refined household...American salads traditionally had been a matter of fresh greens, chicken, or lobster, but during the decades at the turn of the century, when urban and suburban middle class was beginning to define itself, salads proliferated magnificently in number and variety until they incorporated nearly every kind of food except bread and pastry...Salads that were nothing but a heap of raw ingredients in disarray plainly lacked cultivation, and the cooking experts developed a number of ingenious ways to wrap them up...The tidiest and most thorough way to package a salad was to mold in in gelatin."
---Perfection Salad: Women and Cooking at the Turn of the Century, Laura Shapiro
I understand that fresh salads started to regain popularity when the Caesar was invented and became a hit with celebrities and movie stars. Previously, as well as having that coarse, "raw" aspect described above, such table fare was also considered snooty and Continental. Might one say the attitude was that a bowl of salad was indulgent, almost imprudent? There's seems a kind of judgment. People commonly avoided eating fresh salad because of such association! How do we feel about salad now?

What's the "correct" way to feel about the sushi "trend"? Yes, I think it's very insidious, all these cultural/historical factors that influence our decisions. But fad or not, good is good (for some, maybe not others) and we've only got so many years on this planet and little time or energy to actively analyze the sweep of history and our place in context. I like meat and potatoes and rich, velvety sauces. I also like sushi for the clean flavors and combinations. (I like a lot of things. But, oh, I also like that I can be satisfied with just two or three rolls. I don't need to pig out.) Let's eat!

Last edited by Bunjee; 05-20-2010 at 08:23 PM..

Old 05-20-2010, 08:22 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edison Winter View Post
Hipsters...the "in crowd"..the extroverts etc

I see people tweeting all the time things like:

"sushi yuuuuuuuuuuum" or "Eating SUSHI!!!!!!!!!!!!"

it goes on and on and on..sushi this sushi that.

Not only on Twitter but I see people talking about it all over the net.

When did Sushi become so popular and trendy? Whats the deal?
One of the attractions of the "upscale" trendy, high-end folks is that it is very expensive. Spending $80 for four for lunch keeps out the riff-raff that's for sure. I don't know if these prices are consistent everywhere, but they are here in SWMO. The po' folks are eatin' dollar menus at the Golden Arches. The "lah-de-dah" folks are being "seen" at the local sushi bar.

Personally, the idea of eating uncooked ANYTHING is not appealing. (Yes, I know they have traditional i.e. cooked food at these places too. But I am still not particularly interested.

20yrsinBranson

Old 05-22-2010, 02:06 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Part of my family is Asian and that branch all loves sushi. Me? Not so much. And I'd like to think I'm as much of a hipster as the next person. I read. I keep up. I tweet. I watch "Modern Family".

Just don't like raw tuna.

Old 05-22-2010, 02:14 PM

8,039 posts, read 4,514,412 times
I love Shshi although I don't get to eat it that often when I do I go nutz!! The only thing I don't like is the grated ginger that is served with the sushi at least it was in one of our local Sushi resturants. I was told that it cleans the palate. Thank you but I think I will leave my palate alone. I don't mind ginger in the food just not on it's own.

Old 05-22-2010, 02:42 PM

2,362 posts, read 2,996,482 times
I'm definitely not hip, but I love sushi if it's fresh and prepared properly.

Old 05-22-2010, 08:58 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,049,118 times
I thought Tapas was the new sushi. I thought sushi had lost it's cool awhile ago. We still love it though. We've never eaten it out, though, we always make it at home. More fun that way.

Old 05-22-2010, 09:45 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
The closest I get to eating sushi is lox on my bagel with cream cheese. I don't like sticky rice, I like my rice fluffy and long-grained and delicately saffroned. Looking at some of those things at sushi bars when I pass the window, I have to wonder who came up with these insane ideas. "Oh yeah let's mix a strip of uncooked fish with a yellow hue to it, with a few flakes of fresh um..kale? nah..spinach? Too domestic. Oh I know, let's use seaweed, yeah! And then hm..well we're using the fish theme, how about, pond-frog eggs. And wrap the whole thing in a lily pad. And then! Oh yeah! Then let's over-cook some rice and mix in a little sugar, and set the rolled up raw fish and seaweed concoction on a scoop of that. And we'll charge $5.50 for it and call it food!"

I understand it isn't as convoluted as that (or maybe it is), but that's my perception of it. I don't eat escargot either. That stuff is just way too slimey. I don't eat eggplant for the same reason. It's a texture thing. That kind of stuff just grosses me out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink