Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2009, 06:32 AM

2,969 posts, read 6,944,844 times

Advertisements

Vichel.........that is one awesome sounding sandwich! I bet you are eating it right now. 6:30 am....off to work! TGIF!

Old 08-14-2009, 07:07 AM

10,782 posts, read 8,728,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandsGal View Post
Vichel.........that is one awesome sounding sandwich! I bet you are eating it right now. 6:30 am....off to work! TGIF!
Just finished it about an hour ago. Yup, it was delicious. The brie is a nice touch. Fattening as can be but so creamy and yummy. And keeps it all together so you don't get bits of chicken or sundried tomato falling out, you see. Very practical (and fattening and yummy too).

Yeah, TGIF to everyone. Ours is almost over, but that's okay. Weekend is here! Yay!

Old 08-14-2009, 07:09 AM

3,928 posts, read 11,601,624 times
Ate at Sweet Tomatoes last night...what a smorgasbord!!! DH is down in SoFla today so I'm sure I'll have a leftover something alone tonight. Younglisa's omelet and home fries and Vichel's sandwich are tempting me, though!

Old 08-14-2009, 07:22 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,311,123 times
Looks like an all-nighter here last night. My goodness. On my sleepless nights I have considered coming on here just to see what is going on but my DH would have a heart attack--he already thinks I spend way to much time on here--ha! I think he'd like me to enoy working as much as I enjoy it here.
It's good to see Vichel was able to keep HL company! Hope you get some much needed sleep today HL!!
I'm getting ready to go out and do "more" weeding while it's still cool enough and then it's back to work for awhile. Dinner ended up being the grilled pork steaks last night and tonight will be hot dogs and beans with sliced tomatoes and water melon.
Have a wonderful day and I will keep checking in to see what is going on.

Old 08-14-2009, 07:29 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,869,300 times
cyn I have given up on the weed... <<waving white flag>> .... the rain has kicked my butt and the bugs have finished the job. I'll just take care of it when I can go out without being attacked.

BFF's kids will be here in about 10 minutes for babysitting... then off to visit my uncle... rehearsal dinner... busy day!!! But I don't have to cook! hahah! Lucky me!

Tomorrow is another busy day! Drop the kids to the folks as they aren't invited to the wedding... go to the ceremony.... make a show at my family reunion... then go to the reception.... tired just thinking about it..

SUNDAY... yes there is more... I have another family get together for my great aunt and uncle's 50th... that will be fun....

But then I think we will come home and just CRASH!

So, don't think I will be on much in the next few days. Just wanted to get on and say hello.... lelt you all know I wasn't DITCHIN you and wasn't somewhere IN a ditch either hehehe..... ok... have a good one... talk to you later and ENJOY YOUR WEEKEND!!!!!!!

Old 08-14-2009, 08:04 AM

1,173 posts, read 1,474,093 times
Hot dogs and hamburgers off the grill, pop, ice cream. MMMM!!!!

Old 08-14-2009, 08:13 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,311,123 times
JoCo, sounds like fun and yummy too!
It sounds like so much fun this week-end skbs. Busy yes but fun! Enjoy!!
Maybe I should knock on wood but even living near a big lake and all this rain and it is NC we still do not have a big bug problem here where I live! Horray! As of yet, 3 years almost now, I have not had any mosquito bites! Knock on wood!! I do see lots of bats at night so maybe that is the answer. We have some ants and some spiders but nothing more then I had in CA. Hmmmmmmmmm..............???

Last edited by cynwldkat; 08-14-2009 at 08:23 AM..

Old 08-14-2009, 08:13 AM

2,061 posts, read 4,135,306 times
so full of onion rings to even think about tonight! made 4 lbs of onions for just 2 of us and we have no leftovers

Old 08-14-2009, 08:48 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,505,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skbs View Post
Nomad I think Debsi would be so proud of your meaty prepwork! I have crumblers in the freezer I have been saving for VEGGIE Tacos... but I don't know how she would feel about those.... Debsi Care to weigh in? SOY Crumblers vs MEAT? for tacos..... would I be KILLING the "taconess" of the taco? Might make them into a burrito instead.... still toying with the idea.....
Does it look like a taco? Smell like a taco? Then it's a taco... Not using those prefab shells would really make my heart sing though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwesternBookWorm View Post
You can make a meatless taco, skbs; Texans may frown on it, but it's still good. Cook your crumblers with chili powder and cumin to give them an authentic southwestern flavor. Start by slapping down a layer of refried beans on your tortilla (it works kind of like mortar, keeping everything in place) and then a layer of crumblers over the beans. Top that with grated cheese, maybe some sour cream, shredded lettuce and chopped tomato, and there you go - a meatless taco.

Of course, if Nomad's coming to supper, you'll need to have the jar of jalapenos out for him to doctor his up with a little extra fire. And Debsi would probably want you to have some salsa or pico de gallo to ladle on top. And an ice-cold cerveza would not be amiss as an accompaniment.

But you get the idea, I'm sure!
Yeah, what she said! Sounds great MWB. You make a good point about the salsa. I haven't made any lately though! I've been on that hot sauce kick for quite a while. The one I make using the dried chiles and no tomato.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
Well Aylalou I walked the dog. Now I'm guilt free. Debsi would be even more proud if I would make some fresh salsa. That I have not mastered yet. Still using stuff in the jar...
I don't like the jar stuff because I prefer fresh salsa over cooked salsa. You can just throw stuff in the food processor and it always turns out good -- some tomatoes, onion, wee bit of garlic, squeeze a lime in maybe, jalapenos/serranos or both. Don't forget to use enough salt. Salt is the chile's best friend. Makes the flavor pop. Most would add cilantro but after all the cilantro controvesy on one thread here, I realized I don't really like the stuff.

If you want a chunkier pico type thing, just rough chop some sweet onion, roma tomato, a seeded jalapeno, and some cilantro. Squeeze of lime is great there too!

Hope everybody has a great weekend!

I'm here in LA.. no tacos yet.. but plan to drive to Olvera Street by myself today. DH is working with his father all day, MIL and I will see Julie and Julia together, but I know she'll want me out of her hair the rest of the time. I am planning shopping day.. Olvera Street for souvenirs and TACOS.. taco taco taco... and some stops at stores we don't have back home for nonperishables - Peet's Tea and Trader Joe's.

Old 08-14-2009, 09:18 AM

5,554 posts, read 6,740,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
Nope, not me. It's only 2PM here in Oz. Now that I've finished cleaning my house, I've sat down to spend some time on C-D, and mostly everybody's gone nightie nights. It's such a drag being on the other side of the planet for C-D.

Anyhooo, for any night owls here, tonight we're doing it easy. Bought some really nice fresh Turkish bread rolls. Got some leftover chicken breast that I'd panfried earlier in the week. So it'll be something like ... chicken, baby spinach, sundried tomatoes and brie, toasted in the sandwich press for that nice crispy crust. And the brie will melt and ooze through the sandwich ... mmmm, can taste it already
YUMM! Good thing I was sleeping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink