Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 08:29 AM

1,118 posts, read 4,757,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Now, I have heards lots of buzz about "Trader Joe's" but there doesn't seem to be one in Florida (or even Asheville). Anyone have experience with this store?
Yes! I drive 1-1/2 hours to shop at our nearest Trader Joe's, Whole Foods and Wegmans. These stores are fantastic, but all different from one another.

Trader Joe's has a wonderful selection of interesting and unusual food items. It is the only place I know of where I can buy a pound of unsalted shelled pistachio nuts. (To make pistachio biscotti, as well as cherry-pistachio cookies ) All of their seafood and meat is sold in vacuum sealed packages in the freezer, but it is all high quality. There collection of different types of breads is terrific. I buy a rectangular flat bread there that is great to top with tomato sauce and shredded cheese for a thin, crispy crust pizza.

I love Whole Foods, especially their food bins. I come home with a real assortment of bags filled with everything from golden flax seeds to varieties of rice to honey sesame bars. The produce section is fantastic. It is the only place I know to buy real English clotted cream for my scones w/ strawberry jam.

I have to say though, when we travel to Florida, I cannot get enough of Publix. I think those supermarkets are terrific! I like the way the deli staff packs the lunchmeat and sliced cheese (with plastic between layers-makes unpeeling them later very easy), their produce is excellent, and I like that I can put a bottle of wine, or DH's six-pack of beer right into the cart along with the food. (We don't have that in NJ).

If you want a real treat - check out a Wegman's store if you have a chance. At this point they are as far south as Fairfax, VA with more on the way in Manassas and Woodbridge, and as far north as Syracuse, NY with many stores in between. This company is growing so who knows where they will turn up next. They have incredible prepared foods, and food counters where you can order your food cooked to go. They have everything imaginable in these stores.

Another terrific supermarket, which I would put right up there with Publix is Hannafords in the New England/New York area. Excellent quality, a wide variety, I can buy the wine & beer right there with the rest of the grocery list - just basically a pleasure to shop in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2007, 08:51 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,510,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post

Now, I have heards lots of buzz about "Trader Joe's" but there doesn't seem to be one in Florida (or even Asheville). Anyone have experience with this store?

I wish they had some in FL!! Interesting & fun store & decently priced.

Maybe some fun things like that instead of another $400+ condo unit

Old 05-03-2007, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adream View Post

I have to say though, when we travel to Florida, I cannot get enough of Publix. I think those supermarkets are terrific! I like the way the deli staff packs the lunchmeat and sliced cheese (with plastic between layers-makes unpeeling them later very easy), their produce is excellent, and I like that I can put a bottle of wine, or DH's six-pack of beer right into the cart along with the food. (We don't have that in NJ).
See what happens when companies are employee-owned!

Old 05-03-2007, 09:26 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,745,539 times
Is this the same as "Wild Oats"? Those stores usually smell like rotten vegetables.

Old 05-03-2007, 10:17 AM

You could win the lottery & still find something wrong...

Old 05-03-2007, 10:20 AM

2 posts, read 24,266 times
The whole Foods in FL are small and dated. There is no comparison with the fresh look and the enormous size they have the Northeast stores.

Old 05-03-2007, 10:42 AM

1,608 posts, read 9,745,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
You know the interesting thing. I have been a vegetarian for pretty much my whole life. I never drank or smoked, took drugs, nothing. I have also never stood in front of a Burger King with a sign or go around the supermarket telling people not to buy that junk food or even tell anyone my views or how to live their life and it is my business how I live my life.

However, when someone finds out you are a vegetarian instead of saying nothing like, "That's interesting" their first response is most often defensive, or even hostile. Why do you suppose that is? Your comment "Eat grass" while exhibiting, I am assuming no knowledge on the subject at all, is a thinly disguised attempt to insult vegetarians for what ever reason you have. I never really have understood that.
Thank you!!!

While I said that my vegetarianism is what makes me love a store like Whole Foods, I never downed meat and never said that people shouldn't eat it. But that's a typical meat eater - when they hear someone is a vegetarian they go on the offense. I am not the type to protest and make people feel bad for what they are eating. I believe we all have our own choices to make. Vegetarianism works for my family, but I don't expect the world to go vegetarian because that's what we do.

Furthermore, when someone compares eating meat or eating grass it shows they have no clue what vegetarians eat. Most vegetarians are far more open to trying new foods and eat a wide variety of things. I eat foods that my meat eating extended family members have never heard of or are afraid to try.

I have never understood the behavior either. Sure, some vegetarians are militant. But so are some meat eaters. I'm not on the defensive when someone mentions a burger!

Old 05-03-2007, 10:43 AM

1,608 posts, read 9,745,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1994 View Post
The whole Foods in FL are small and dated. There is no comparison with the fresh look and the enormous size they have the Northeast stores.
I agree. In Las Vegas they have great Whole Foods and Wild Oats markest as well. The ones I've seen here in Florida are very small and older. But they are still better than trying to get everything at the local chain grocery store...

Old 05-03-2007, 11:32 AM

1,418 posts, read 10,190,369 times
I didn't mean to start a Carnivore v. Vegitarian debate. I just think Whole Foods is a rip-off. And, I'm surprised that people who like to eat healthy or even vegitarians don't recognize this.

Most other grocery stores carry pleanty of foods that vegitarians can eat, so I don't think this is really the issue. Whole Foods seems to cary "trendy" foods, but they don't appear to be great quality and it is very expensive.

Old 05-03-2007, 11:36 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,017,299 times
Sometimes large size is overwhelming, though--and sometimes it comes with large parking lots and traffic.
What I am *mostly* interested in is locally grown and/or organic foods, and of course sometimes the larger stores have more to choose from.
I just found an organic farm on the island we're moving to--can't get much fresher than that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink