Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 03:36 PM

15 posts, read 36,861 times

Advertisements

I agree TexasHorseLady! There's a difference between having personal standards, and being picky. It's so insulting when I've spent all this time and effort to prepare something I'm proud of to my guests just to have them sit there and pick half of it out or refuse to eat it! Grow up!! I don't even let my kids act like that.
However, refusing to eat Spagetteos at home or turning your nose up at buying Folgers coffee is another thing. And yes, I've been served both at a friends' house and what did I do? I said "Thank You"!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2009, 03:47 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,925,931 times
I'm really still curious if any of you have actually experienced someone being rude when being served something they don't like as a guest in someone's home. Excluding kids.

Funny how I began this thread asking, from looking at previous threads, why people have such a hate for picky eaters (as I said, there's one where a woman is complaining about her husband not liking condiments). Somehow it has turned into a thread about eating over at someone's house...and about manners more than anything.

Old 09-24-2009, 04:09 PM

620 posts, read 1,771,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
I don't care what other people do/don't eat just so long as they don't bother me about what I eat.
This is how I feel too.

Old 09-24-2009, 04:48 PM

50,310 posts, read 63,868,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepinksquid View Post
This is a little off-topic from my original question, but I'm curious...

I've seen you all mention medical reasons as an acceptable reason to be "picky" about what one eats. Just throwing it out there... what if it is for religious and/or moral reasons? The primary reason I don't eat meat is due to digestive issues I get when I do... but what if someone was a vegetarian SOLELY for moral reserves. Is that just foolish?

Or what if someone kept kosher and requested that dairy and meat items be kept separate? Now I know that if you want to get technical, people that truly keep kosher probably wouldn't be eating over at someone's home that doesn't keep kosher already due to mixing of plates and utensils and such--but I just know of a Jewish friend of mine that used to not eat dairy and meat together at the same time, and refrain from pork or shellfish. Would she annoy you in her preferences, or would her "religious" beliefs grant her a reprieve?
No, as you said, this would be unlikely to happen, but I have no issues with food preferences for religious reasons.

Old 09-24-2009, 04:52 PM

OK, here's the bottom line for me. Anyone raised with manners will eat what is put before them without comment. Or, at the worst, will leave it on their plate without comment.
If you are a guest, shut up and eat it, or if you are so picky you can't, just stay home and spare everyone else from your idiosyncracies.

Old 09-24-2009, 04:58 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,438,370 times
Quote:
Somehow it has turned into a thread about eating over at someone's house...and about manners more than anything.
Because, as many posters have already said (at least once): how you eat at home or by yourself doesn't matter to anyone.....
YOU asked what bothered people about them - how people eat at home, or by themselves doesn't bother anyone that I can tell, what bothers people IS the manners of SOME picky eaters....how many more explanations do we need to go through?

Old 09-24-2009, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naptowner View Post
I don't understand this attitude. I find picky eaters annoying at times, but isn't the point of serving food to a guest making the guest happy? And if the guest doesn't like your food, it's his or her fault? I think if you do something for others with the expectation that they will appreciate you for it, you're really doing it for yourself. If the guests don't eat the food you make, you have more of it for yourself, which should be a good thing, and the guest doesn't have to eat food he or she doesn't like. The alternative is that the guest forces down food he doesn't enjoy so that the host feels gratified for serving it. It doesn't make any sense when you think about it.
NO! The point of serving food to a guest is to give love through one's effort. If a person goes to the trouble of cooking for me, then I will most certainly try to like it whether I do or not.

Old 09-24-2009, 05:26 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,925,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Because, as many posters have already said (at least once): how you eat at home or by yourself doesn't matter to anyone.....
YOU asked what bothered people about them - how people eat at home, or by themselves doesn't bother anyone that I can tell, what bothers people IS the manners of SOME picky eaters....how many more explanations do we need to go through?
As I mentioned in the original post and several times since, I AM talking about people eating in their own homes. This thread can serve as an example: //www.city-data.com/forum/food-...cky-eater.html

This thread is about a husband who doesn't like condiments. Even if you just look through the first few replies, you'll see people saying he sounds childish, even obsessive. The OP in that thread says nothing about manners or eating at other peoples' homes, and yet, from the replies, you would think that this is the sort of thing that could end a relationship.

Old 09-24-2009, 05:36 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,017,922 times
Nothing's wrong with it unless it's a problem for you and you alone. Nobody else can tell you or influence what you do or don't like unless you are a pushover. So enjoy what you like and if others take offence because of it tell them to grow up. If I eat at a friends house and I don't like something I just politely say that I don't down to "personal preference" and nobody has ever had a problem with it.

One thing I will say though is at least try anything once before you know that you "don't like it". Hopefully we are all adults here and mature enough to know our own mind about what we do and don't like, and make it understood politely knowing how easily some will take offence. We aren't children, people are different and like different things, accept it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsbadmojo View Post
It bothers me for a variety of reasons. Most of all it seems very childish. Closed-minded. Rude.
LOL.

Knowing what you do or don't like isn't "childish". Presumably if someone doesn't like something they know due to experience. Close minded? No. No more than you are for not be interested in anything you might not be interested in or might not like, food or not.

Rude? People can be perfectly polite about it. People can be rude in absolutely any situation. Your point is nullified.

Last edited by RichardW; 09-24-2009 at 05:45 PM..

Old 09-24-2009, 05:42 PM

2,969 posts, read 6,940,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
OK, here's the bottom line for me. Anyone raised with manners will eat what is put before them without comment. Or, at the worst, will leave it on their plate without comment.
If you are a guest, shut up and eat it, or if you are so picky you can't, just stay home and spare everyone else from your idiosyncracies.
Ding! Ding! Ding! gentlearts hit the nail on the head.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink