Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2014, 03:12 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Most free-range labeled chickens are only that in a legal sense, especially from the big factory farms. They're mainly in coops but have the chance to wander out to a small enclosed area if they want to ...... I've heard they don't usually go.

Real free-range chickens from a small farm are much tastier (and somewhat tougher) than store-bought "free range".
free range chickens peck the hell out of each other-they are not friendly birds, and they eat their own shyt

and often they don't taste better, they are tougher and dry because they are running around,,,legs are much more stringier..

I grew up on free range chickens..

I saw a sign on a lobster tank the other day "free range lobsters"
and there they were in a tank...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2014, 08:23 AM

9,264 posts, read 7,408,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Maybe to you and others, but again you are in UK, I don't know what you pay for a chicken, but I know what we pay here and I know what the average family can afford. I am not questioning so much the taste as much as keeping within a budget. I grow our veggies, as many as I can; the rest, this time of year will come from neighbors or the local farmers when possible, but this doesn't work for everyone, nor can we get everything locally. As I said, I don't know about UK, I would think it would depend on where you live.
You can get whole chickens that are battery farmed for as little as £2 from supermarkets here.. (about $4 I think?) and it actually tastes OK, but most free range whole chickens are more like £5 each.. I normally buy cheap on most items except chicken, as that is the one thing that I can tell the difference in quality by the price. A can of 30p chopped tomatoes I can't tell the difference with the branded 80p can

Old 08-11-2014, 04:19 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Maybe to you and others, but again you are in UK, I don't know what you pay for a chicken, but I know what we pay here and I know what the average family can afford. I am not questioning so much the taste as much as keeping within a budget. I grow our veggies, as many as I can; the rest, this time of year will come from neighbors or the local farmers when possible, but this doesn't work for everyone, nor can we get everything locally. As I said, I don't know about UK, I would think it would depend on where you live.

In this week's Aldi UK ad, chicken breasts are GBP 9.23/ kg. That translates to about US $6.71/ lb, roughly. And Aldi UK is the DISCOUNT grocer in the UK.

https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/product-ra...t-meat-offers/

At Tesco, which would be similar to Kroger's, a whole chicken is priced at GBP 3.50/ kg or about US $2.55/ lb. An organic chicken is roughly twice that.

Fresh Chicken & Breaded Chicken - Fresh Poultry - Fresh Food - Groceries - Tesco Groceries

My last Tyson whole fryer at Aldi last month was $0.85/ lb, although it was up at $0.92/ lb last week. US prices are more reasonable.

Old 08-12-2014, 07:12 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
free range chickens peck the hell out of each other-they are not friendly birds, and they eat their own shyt

and often they don't taste better, they are tougher and dry because they are running around,,,legs are much more stringier..

I grew up on free range chickens..

I saw a sign on a lobster tank the other day "free range lobsters"
and there they were in a tank...
I guess it would be funny if not a little misleading. It is like today, I noticed on our dozen eggs it said: locally produced and then after that, in another cornier of the carton it said, produced in IL. Now do we really think the eggs were laid in AR and then shipped to IL for processing, then returned to AR?

Old 08-12-2014, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
In this week's Aldi UK ad, chicken breasts are GBP 9.23/ kg. That translates to about US $6.71/ lb, roughly. And Aldi UK is the DISCOUNT grocer in the UK.

[URL]https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/product-range/fresh-bakery/this-weeks-latest-meat-offers/[/URL]

At Tesco, which would be similar to Kroger's, a whole chicken is priced at GBP 3.50/ kg or about US $2.55/ lb. An organic chicken is roughly twice that.

[url=http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/browse/default.aspx?N=4294770943&Ne=4294793660]Fresh Chicken & Breaded Chicken - Fresh Poultry - Fresh Food - Groceries - Tesco Groceries[/url]

My last Tyson whole fryer at Aldi last month was $0.85/ lb, although it was up at $0.92/ lb last week. US prices are more reasonable.
What are the US prices like? Seems like chicken is pretty expensive here.. beef and especially mince seems to be cheaper

Old 08-12-2014, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post
You can get whole chickens that are battery farmed for as little as £2 from supermarkets here.. (about $4 I think?) and it actually tastes OK, but most free range whole chickens are more like £5 each.. I normally buy cheap on most items except chicken, as that is the one thing that I can tell the difference in quality by the price. A can of 30p chopped tomatoes I can't tell the difference with the branded 80p can
You are living in Uk, it is very different than here. I am not questioning the quality of free range, but I am trying to explain what is available at a certain price in Uk and what is available here can be very different. for those who want to spend the money and/or can, that is fine. Many people have to be content with what they can afford. There are some things I splurge on: one being quality bread, the other produce, but I do have to draw the line; most of us shop that way. For you, the extra cost for free range chicken is worth it.

Old 08-12-2014, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post

https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/product-ra...t-meat-offers/

Fresh Chicken & Breaded Chicken - Fresh Poultry - Fresh Food - Groceries - Tesco Groceries

We usually get our whole chickens, yes, Tysons as a rule at Sams for in the neighborhood of 89 lb to about .99 lb.

Old 08-12-2014, 07:26 PM

12,040 posts, read 8,418,487 times
Free range. Of course if you've never eaten them or don't know how to prepare them you may not know what you're missing.

When they started selling us those medicated confined chickens and I saw how sallow and flabby their flesh was I was aghast. You can nearly pull them limb from limb with your hands. Ugh. That was not a contented chicken.

In fact I eat a great deal less meat now than I did in the good old days and a large part of the reason for that is the methods used to produce it.

Old 08-12-2014, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Free range. Of course if you've never eaten them or don't know how to prepare them you may not know what you're missing.

When they started selling us those medicated confined chickens and I saw how sallow and flabby their flesh was I was aghast. You can nearly pull them limb from limb with your hands. Ugh. That was not a contented chicken.

In fact I eat a great deal less meat now than I did in the good old days and a large part of the reason for that is the methods used to produce it.
You're right, I do feel bad seeing some of these shows about battery farmed chickens.. awful

Old 08-13-2014, 01:32 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,164,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post
What are the US prices like? Seems like chicken is pretty expensive here.. beef and especially mince seems to be cheaper
Our beef is much more expensive than chicken here, maybe $5/lb at the low end, and $4/lb for hamburger (mince). However I live in an area with generally higher market prices, so I don't know about other places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink