Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2014, 11:32 PM

66 posts, read 182,792 times

Advertisements

They are definitely right about the Texas brisket! It would probably be sacrilegious to serve anything other than a full BBQ at a wedding, graduation, birthday, etc. here.

Other than that, there's our version of chili (i.e., basically beef and chili powder...nothing else...ha!). Ribs are common, and you get all manner of beef things and sausage in the German/Czech communities.

Almond-containing desserts from European ancestors are generally found in pecan-adapted form. And don't forget coconut cream pie!

How my family makes chili (seriously):

1. Brown and drain beef
2. Add salt/pepper and chili powder
3. Add a little water
4. Stir/heat thoroughly

If people are *really* adventurous, they might add a tomato or some onion...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2014, 11:44 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,546,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicole.cpp View Post

How my family makes chili (seriously):

1. Brown and drain beef
2. Add salt/pepper and chili powder
3. Add a little water
4. Stir/heat thoroughly

If people are *really* adventurous, they might add a tomato or some onion...
You just ruined the reputation of all of TX. I at least add chopped fresh peppers.

Old 05-23-2014, 11:19 AM

66 posts, read 182,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodstockSchool1980 View Post
You just ruined the reputation of all of TX. I at least add chopped fresh peppers.
I didn't say I LIKED how my kin do it..ha ...but it does seem common in a lot of TX. Meat, meat, meat!

Old 05-23-2014, 11:56 AM

7,335 posts, read 2,742,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQalex View Post
For New Mexico anything with chile in it can be classified as what our state is known for. We love chile so much here that we adopted an official state question "Red or green?" It's the ubiquitous query when dining in local restaurants and refers to which kind of chile you want your dish to be made with. One answer is "Christmas" with both red and green.

However, I do think it's sort of odd that they chose stacked enchiladas (flat enchiladas as many of us call them instead) made with green chile to represent New Mexico. Stacked enchiladas are to be found most often made with red chile in my observation. Green chile is reserved most often in this state for typical rolled or other casserole-style enchiladas made with shredded chicken or beef.

The piece makes it seem like stacked enchiladas aren't very unique or different from other enchiladas, but I think they are. They aren't baked, for one thing, so that does change how they taste. They also are most often paired with a fried egg on top, which isn't very common to do for rolled, baked enchiladas. In fact, that might be unique to New Mexico as well, since I don't think most people across the country ever put a fried egg on top of their enchiladas.

In the New Mexico forum a while back there was a discussion about green chile and its association with New Mexico and the love it is given by New Mexicans. New Mexicans put it in everything from cheeseburgers to pizzas to beer and even in ice cream, apple pie and other sweets. There was a link given to an online competition for the best among unique state dishes (many of the same ones mentioned in the linked piece in the OP) in which New Mexico was represented by our green chile sauce. The state came out on top in that competition:

Best Iconic American Food Winners: 2013 10Best Readers' Choice Travel Awards
Well said.

I agree with most of your statements, however, we do find flat green enchiladas are prevalent here as well, although the red are definitely more popular. And, yes, I have to have a fried egg on top of the enchiladas!

I did disagree with the link you posted as we don't put green chile 'sauce' on our cheeseburgers, but actual green chile!

Old 05-23-2014, 01:37 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,762,267 times
What chile is actually used in green chili?

Old 05-23-2014, 01:58 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
What chile is actually used in green chili?

These are some of the varieties produced in New Mexico:

Varieties & Plant Breeding - The Chile Pepper Institute

Old 05-23-2014, 02:03 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,760,432 times
I don't see where anyone has mentioned Michigan cherries -- we even have a special whole-grain bread made with Michigan cherries and walnuts, ATD I tell you -- or that specialty of our frozen-north regions, the pasty. You know, like a Hostess fruit pie that someone filled with beef stew instead of peaches or apples.

Specifically in the heart of the state -- Detroit -- we have Detroit-style BBQ with fruit worked into the sauce, and Detroit-style pizza which is always deep-dish and always squared off at the corners.

Old 05-23-2014, 02:32 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,893,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
North Dakota

Beer Battered Fried Walleye Fillets

Something I can't eat as the AUTHENTICATE recipe contains beer

If it's because of the alcohol content don't fret as that is cooked out leaving the flavor. It's the same when cooking with wine or liquers. Enjoy the beer batted fish.

Old 05-23-2014, 02:37 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,893,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
i have to add - when i went to other states, here is what i HAD to have -

Michigan - BEST BEST BEST yellow watermelon (very sweet); and peaches!!! sweet and juice dripping!!!

Maryland - She crab soup at the Wharf Restaurant... I would die for some.. wish i could find some around here.
Where is The Wharf Restaurant? MD is larger than RI.

Old 05-23-2014, 02:51 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Smoked meat sandwiches.
http://www.urbanspoon.com/w/s/uy/WF0...gHuWP-640m.jpg

The only thing that is missing is the beef rib steak.

Last edited by Beretta; 05-24-2014 at 08:44 AM.. Reason: copyright
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink