Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2014, 10:37 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,546,776 times

Advertisements

Northern NJ is not even real NJ. LOL

I lived in NJ 1979-1981. The real NJ, near Cherry Hill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2014, 10:48 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodstockSchool1980 View Post
Northern NJ is not even real NJ. LOL

I lived in NJ 1979-1981. The real NJ, near Cherry Hill.
It's not real NJ?! Now that's an odd claim. Usually it's the other way around, people saying South Jersey isn't the real NJ.

Oh, sorry, I didn't realize you were a former resident, if if only for a couple years! My bad. I thought you had only visited, that's what I got from your posts. Cherry Hill's a nice area. I'd argue the state as a whole has better pizza than probably the other 49 states, maybe with the exception of New York (Brooklyn/Staten Island only, basically). We know how to make pizza in this state, that's for sure. Have you ever tried pizza elsewhere? In Florida, it was subpar, barely edible for me. Virginia, same. I wonder what it's like on the West Coast, or a disconnected place like Alaska or Hawaii. I'll probably never find out.

Old 05-23-2014, 10:49 PM

256 posts, read 617,088 times
The Boysenberry is uniquely Californian as it was invented there by a good friend of Walter Knott named Rudy Boysen. Walter Knott used the Boysenberry in jelly, jam, syrup and pie. He served it with his wife's famous fried chicken. He developed the amusement park to entertain guest while they waited for chicken dinner and boysenberry pie, thus Knott's Berry Farm was born.

Old 05-23-2014, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Have you ever tried pizza elsewhere? In Florida, it was subpar, barely edible for me. Virginia, same. I wonder what it's like on the West Coast, or a disconnected place like Alaska or Hawaii. I'll probably never find out.
Oregon pizza makes me really miss NJ pizza. Sometimes I cry. And there are no hoagies here.

Old 05-23-2014, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Oregon pizza makes me really miss NJ pizza. Sometimes I cry.
There must be some good/decent places though, no, at least one? Places maybe owned by an actual Italian, or by someone who used to live on the East Coast (NY/NJ) and actually knows what he's doing when he makes pizza? That's usually the case. But yeah, I definitely get what you mean. Even PA doesn't make pizza like NJ does and it's only across a river. Again the further from this area you go, the worse pizza tends to get. NYC/Philly/NJ/CT/RI (where Italians are clustered and have been for years) tend to be overall good, but outside of these places… usually not so much.

They say it's our water in NJ (and NY) that makes our bread products so good. Something in our water around here makes bagels, pizza dough, and dough for rolls as good as they are. I don't know if there's any truth to it, but it's interesting.

Old 05-23-2014, 11:01 PM

Quote:
They say it's our water in NJ (and NY) that makes our bread products so good. Something in our water around here makes bagels, pizza dough, and dough for rolls as good as they are. I don't know if there's any truth to it, but it's interesting.
I've heard that theory and it seems as likely as anything.

Here in Oregon the pizza is mostly toppings, and the most fundamental ingredients, crust, cheese and sauce, are 2nd thoughts.

In New Jersey, even a basic cheese pizza is so good that you really don't need anything on it. Even the crust is so good you'd eat it plain.

Old 05-24-2014, 06:09 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,078,401 times
Quote:
I've heard that theory and it seems as likely as anything.

Here in Oregon the pizza is mostly toppings, and the most fundamental ingredients, crust, cheese and sauce, are 2nd thoughts.

In New Jersey, even a basic cheese pizza is so good that you really don't need anything on it. Even the crust is so good you'd eat it plain.
The basic Cheese Pizza like found in NJ is probably the closest thing we have to a true Italian Pizza in the USA

Quote:
An Italian pizza *made in Italy* is really really different from an American pizza and even from a lot of "Italian" ones made in the US as well, since most of the them are just exploiting the name.

A true Italian pizza have a thin crust made with flour, yeast (natural) (*) and water. Nothing else.
An American pizza have a thick crust, you can possibly also find oil or other fat inside.
The topping on an Italian pizza is very light compared to an American one: the most popular in Italy is "pizza margherita", which just have meshed tomatoes, mozzarella and basil; a spoon of extra virgin olive oil after cooking. Between 300 and 350 calories, typically. Obviously other recipes include different or more toppings (mushrooms, olives, etc) but no way close to a the most typical "pepperoni pizza" eaten in the US, up to 1000 calories, greasy and fat, impossible to find in Italy (the closer is called "pizza alla diavola", because of the spicy salami).
Note that "peperoni" in Italian actually means "bell pepper", it's not a kind of salami.
"chicken pizza", another popular one in America, is unknown in Italy.

SOURCE

Old 05-24-2014, 08:29 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
Quote:
I don't think so. I take it it's good?

Don't get me wrong, South Jersey can have some great pizza. North Jersey can have some not so great pizza. It all depends. I guess I prefer pizza similar to NY style, and places in North Jersey tend to make it better IMO. There is a great pizza place I LOVE in Lakewood, NJ (Ocean County, so considered Southern or Central) called Frank's.

When you were in NJ, did you try Taylor ham (also known as pork roll in South Jersey)?
so this is where taylor pork roll comes from?? we sell it in stores in maine- about 20 stores sell it

do they make it in satriale's pork store??

I hope they clean that saw!!!

Old 05-24-2014, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
so this is where taylor pork roll comes from?? we sell it in stores in maine- about 20 stores sell it

do they make it in satriale's pork store??

I hope they clean that saw!!!
You have it in Maine? Wow, I go to York Beach every few summers and we never see it. We bring it up in a cooler.

I didn't know other places have it. PA and NY sometimes have it, close to the NJ border, but Maine? Where in Maine are you that you see it? This is surprising.

Old 05-24-2014, 09:25 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,273,813 times
Quote:
You have it in Maine? Wow, I go to York Beach every few summers and we never see it. We bring it up in a cooler.

I didn't know other places have it. PA and NY sometimes have it, close to the NJ border, but Maine? Where in Maine are you that you see it? This is surprising.
We have it in North Carolina.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink