Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 04:44 AM

11,087 posts, read 17,542,940 times

Advertisements

Christina mentioned cup cakes for dessert. If you don't want to have to fool with some of those paper cup cake cups getting left on the floor or in a chair, make the cup cakes in a regular ice dream cone. Set them up in a muffin tin, fill up not quite to the top of the big part of the cone, and bake as directed for the regular cup cakes. Add icing and serve. No papers to clean up. You'd be surprised how many adults go for these as much as the kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2009, 05:18 AM

1,176 posts, read 1,745,489 times
Christmas Sugar Cookies cut out in Christmas shapes, with icing, on big platters are a must for kids and adults!!

Chicken and Homemade Noodles by all means (don't use the dried bag noodles, it's not the same).

Baked Macaroni and Cheese with lots of shredded cheddar and colby and monteray jack cheeses with a bit of half and half poured over all before baking and pats of butter on top to help brown the top.

A few things set out as appetizers would be nice to have for those people who just can't wait! Even popcorn in bowls on each table would be ok. Or, perhaps the chex mix recipe I put in the first post in this thread.
//www.city-data.com/forum/recip...e-dessert.html

Good Luck. I think this is a great idea. And I would like to think that this same idea could be carried forth in other cities.

Old 10-02-2009, 11:15 AM

1,273 posts, read 4,160,607 times
I second the sweat potato casserole. That's always a big hit.

God Bless you for doing such a noble thing!

Old 10-02-2009, 02:40 PM

1,116 posts, read 2,963,810 times
I used to be a banquet chef, and loaded baked potato casserole is wonderful for feeding large groups. Use either hash browns or chunked boiled potatoes, add cheese, sour cream, scallions, and crumbled bacon. More cheese on top and bake until golden...wonderfully decadent.

As far as desserts, you should see if you can get a panera or the like to donate any of their day old goods. I'm sure they're used to big pan desserts so anything individual I'm sure would be appreciated.

Old 10-02-2009, 02:58 PM

1,116 posts, read 2,963,810 times
Oooh also for dessert you could do a make your own sundae bar! That would be something really special. Cost is relatively minimal if you get everything bulk, plus it'd be low energy on your part and really fun for the kids.

Old 10-03-2009, 06:48 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
I would think prison food is pretty bland, so spice it up really well.

Old 10-03-2009, 08:06 PM

1,848 posts, read 4,684,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderbear View Post
I used to be a banquet chef, and loaded baked potato casserole is wonderful for feeding large groups. Use either hash browns or chunked boiled potatoes, add cheese, sour cream, scallions, and crumbled bacon. More cheese on top and bake until golden...wonderfully decadent.

As far as desserts, you should see if you can get a panera or the like to donate any of their day old goods. I'm sure they're used to big pan desserts so anything individual I'm sure would be appreciated.

Jumping off of this idea, perhaps a mashed OR baked potato "bar"?

Have mashed potatoes or baked and then have all the sides available for people to fix their own plates? If fixing their own plates is an option?

I know a baked potato may not be "x-mas dinnerish" but they should stay pretty warm all wrapped in foil and I am sure keeping food hot is a concern?

Old 10-03-2009, 08:07 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I would think prison food is pretty bland, so spice it up really well.
That is accurate. In general, prison food is generally pretty bad as the states generally buy the cheapest quality food supplied by the lowest bidder.

Old 10-04-2009, 10:01 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,832,394 times
To give them a little Christmas Cheer, I would sprinkle a few crystals of red and green sugar on their baloney sandwiches, and stick a pine tree twig in the apple.

Old 10-04-2009, 07:53 PM

218 posts, read 468,619 times
Default great minds think alike

I was thinking that the kids would like mac & cheese. The cameras are a great idea,
thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
Sweet potato casserole. When my students talk about holiday dinners, they always have mac and cheese, so I would add that for the kids. Include ice cream as part of the dessert. If you can, I would also have some cameras on the tables for the families.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink