Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 02:31 PM

2,184 posts, read 5,550,136 times

Advertisements

Personally, I hesitate to combine features because my luck has it that one will go out before another does... I'd rather replace a small appliance like a grinder than ... you know...

Here's a link for what the above post refers to: Cuisinart Grind & Brew Coffeemaker with Glass Carafe | Williams-Sonoma
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2009, 02:37 PM

5,865 posts, read 11,921,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmandaVA View Post
Thanks! I'm still open to other suggestions!

Regarding the Capresso CoffeeTEAM Therm that is at Tuesday Morning for $189 - I have no knowledge of coffee or coffee makers whatsoever, so it there any upkeep involved? Replacement of parts over time or filters, etc? Again, I really don't know anything about coffee so these may be basic questions!
I use the goldtone filters with mine and I replace it when it starts to wear - it's about $15. But I'm not buying paper filters either so I think it's cost neutral. They do sell water filters that go in them, but they are not necessary for the unit to function - just helps filter the water for better taste.

To be fair, the Cuisinart I bought was one of their earlier models, they may have improved them since and might be the best bet at the $100 price point.

Old 12-08-2009, 02:58 PM

67 posts, read 214,437 times
I've also been eyeing this one:

Amazon.com: Cuisinart DGB-650BC Grind-and-Brew Thermal 10-Cup Automatic Coffeemaker, Brushed Metal: Home & Garden

A little less frills and a bit cheaper. I just don't want it breaking after a month!

Old 12-08-2009, 03:07 PM

That looks like a decent one. What broke on mine were some plastic parts - it looks like they've remedied that problem.

Old 12-08-2009, 04:25 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,857,574 times
I had the Cuisinart 10-cup thermal grind&brew pictured below. I don't recommend it. The grinding chamber was too small, extremely messy, and would trap condensation. When you fill the water reservoir, you'll need to have a light directly over the machine to actually see how much your filling it. A real bright design considering you can't see how much water is in the thermal carafe either. Real genius engineers on this product. It brewed quickly and it looked nice, but that was about it.

http://www.stainlesscoffeemachines.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/Cuisinart-Grind-and-Brew-Thermal-Coffee-Machine.jpg (broken link)

Old 12-08-2009, 07:32 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,488,743 times
Any comments about this Capresso? It is a cheaper model than the therm. Amazon.com: Capresso 464.05 CoffeeTeam GS 10-Cup Digital Coffeemaker with Conical Burr Grinder: Kitchen & Dining

Old 12-09-2009, 10:14 AM

What's the deal with refurbished products? I saw a newer Cuisinart like this: Amazon.com: Cuisinart DGB-900BC Grind-and-Brew Thermal 12-Cup Automatic Coffeemaker, Brushed Chrome/Black: Kitchen & Dining

Amazon has it for $161, but a couple other places have it for $99 - $125 "refurbished."

Old 12-09-2009, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta View Post
One thing to note about the Coffe Team Therm (and their older similar models). The grinder drops the beans into the basket and then swings the basket over to the top of the carafe. This keeps the steam from the brewing out of the whole grinder apparatus. This was one of my main complaints about the Cuisinart and Stratford Resident commented on it too. I'm not sure if this model would have that problem or not.

They used to make a Coffee Team with a regular carafe. You might try using their "dealer locator" to find stores near you and call to see if they have any of the older ones in stock - they may even discount them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmandaVA
What's the deal with refurbished products? I saw a newer Cuisinart like this: Amazon.com: Cuisinart DGB-900BC Grind-and-Brew Thermal 12-Cup Automatic Coffeemaker, Brushed Chrome/Black: Kitchen & Dining

Amazon has it for $161, but a couple other places have it for $99 - $125 "refurbished."
Refurbished products are those that are sent back during the warranty period and replaced with a new unit. Then they are repaired/refurbished and resold. They are required by law to label something as refurbished once the box has been opened and it's been sold (even if it was just a damaged box). I've bought refurbished products before and have never had any issues. Some people might think they have a stigma - they broke once, they might break again - but on the other hand, I would think they would be better because they already broke and were fixed! And again, not all the refurbishment is mechanical - some may be cosmetic. I work for a company that refurbishes equiptment.

Last edited by Moonlady; 12-09-2009 at 11:16 AM..

Old 12-10-2009, 08:37 AM

Refurbished makes me a *bit* nervous - I don't know. Thanks for the suggestions. Most people think that having a separate grinder and coffee maker is best, but I'd think that defeats the purpose of having it all done automatically before you get out of bed! That's the main feature my SO wants - to set it the night before, and have coffee ready when he comes downstairs the next morning.

Old 12-10-2009, 09:04 AM

Well, I agree with you on the automatic thing. I was grinding my beans before I went to bed so I could set the timer. Somehow, that just didn't seem right!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink