Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 07:16 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,679,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridadreamer View Post
I would also suggest starting with a california roll, then perhaps on to a spicy tuna roll, maybe some crab sticks. If that goes over well, you can start to experiment with soft shell crab in rolls, things like that. I've been out with a group of friends that always orders the mystery platter, definitely not something I would recommend unless you really trust who you're dining with.

Enjoy!
Besides, it's a Chinese place called "Fortune Wok"...that to me would immediately say "don't eat the sushi here".

Then again, I'm a southern California girl, so I know good sushi...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2009, 07:18 PM

3,256 posts, read 8,899,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Besides, it's a Chinese place called "Fortune Wok"...that to me would immediately say "don't eat the sushi here".

Then again, I'm a southern California girl, so I know good sushi...
Good point. If you're wanting sushi, why go to a Chinese place? Why not just go to a Japanese place, or even a Thai place, which around here always seem to have a sushi bar?

Old 10-21-2009, 08:02 PM

612 posts, read 1,842,988 times
She recommended it and says she loves sushi so I have to take her word for it. I researched a bit on the place and it has gotten some pretty good reviews even considered one of the best places in the Kansas City area. I'll find out for sure tomorrow and keep y'all posted . Thanks again!

Old 10-22-2009, 09:30 AM

3,975 posts, read 7,690,509 times
well, my first advice would be to not eat sushi at a chinese place, I think this wil be a major dissapointment for you.
If you can wait, instead go to a higher end sushi place or japanese restaurant, I would recommend getting California Rolls as a good starting point, these are cooked crab (mostly imitation, but that's ok) and avocado and carrots.
I don't like raw fish, but I love to try all kinds of cooked sushi, such as lobster, or shrimp or salmon. I even love vegetarian sushi.

Good luck and hope you enjoy it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Bananas View Post
Hello, everone.

I love food! Any kind of food really. But I have yet in my 20 years of existence ate sushi!

Now, I have a lunch date tomorrow and it's a Chinese place with sushi. If it's any help it's at Fortune Wok... not sure if it's a local joint or national chain.

Anyway, I know I'm not allergic to it so that's good. How does it taste? Spicy? If so, I can handle it... What should I order as a starter so I can get an idea on how it tastes before I decide to get something that is really "up there". Basically any information on sushi is welcome... Sorry if I don't make any sense.

Thanks

Johnny B.

Old 10-22-2009, 09:33 AM

871 posts, read 1,630,124 times
Quote:
Tap dancing around the sushi menu
lol

Old 10-22-2009, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Bananas View Post
She recommended it and says she loves sushi so I have to take her word for it. I researched a bit on the place and it has gotten some pretty good reviews even considered one of the best places in the Kansas City area. I'll find out for sure tomorrow and keep y'all posted . Thanks again!
OMG NO. NOT in Kansas City!!! There are very FEW places in Kansas City that are good for sushi.

The only two that I found that I would eat at are Matsu in Westport and Tokyo Japanese Steakhouse on NW Barry Rd, and I've tried a LOT of sushi places in KC, Overland Park, Olathe, North KC, mid-town, etc. All of them not satisfactory for any number of reasons -- sweaty fish, fishy odor, ROACHES wandering around, unsanitary actions by the sushi chefs...et cetera.

Old 10-22-2009, 12:48 PM

612 posts, read 1,842,988 times
Alright alright! Lol since y'all are warning me here.... Something came up with her schedule so we may end up going to dinner or taking a rain check... I'm hoping dinner... 5 months of waiting to take this girl out... I will stop by the place when I'm running errands and get a "feel" for it. If it smells "fishy" then I'll suggest some other place.

Old 10-22-2009, 01:02 PM

2,184 posts, read 5,548,973 times
Regarding sushi: I had one bad experience while pregnant. I thought maybe it was due to my "condition" yet the aftermath was so dramatic, I never tried it again (not the real sushi anyway).

Then I was at a new restaurant & a tuna steak was recommended by those who had been there before. I thought "I love tuna steak!" & ordered it. No one warned me it was just a warmed up raw tuna steak. I guess... Japanese or Hawaiian style... I don't remember the name of the dish. I asked the waiter if it was raw - beause of no grill marks. I was told yes & they could take it back, etc . It had been recommended so I ate it the way it was, hesitantly.

I didn't get a stomach ache (which I usually get within an hour or two if there's some kind of bacterial contamination or cross contamination, along with the lower symptoms). So I thought I'd be...okay.

I did get the lower symptoms & it was discouraging. I had some left over that I brought home for my daughter who wouldn't touch it. So I heated it up in the micro, so it was actually "cooked" & ate it. I was fine.

My conclusion is that my digestive system isn't meant for truly uncooked fish. The tuna steak originally was rather good, which is why I brought the left over home to share. I'm glad I tried it cooked. I do love a tuna steak!

I guess we're not all made the same. Some people love food from certain places that I could never enjoy. My boyfriend seems to love a Chinese restaurant in Eugene called "Good Taste" - I hate it. Among the worst I've ever had. But he grew up eating it & can't tell the difference between what I enjoy & that place.

Good luck on your date! I enjoyed visiting Westport at one time & loved it. Went to a Greek restaurant in the winter. Delightful. My son lives in KC right now & his aunt in Olathe.

Kate

Old 10-22-2009, 01:08 PM

6,777 posts, read 13,547,001 times
^^^ pregnant women are not supposed to eat raw fish ever. And fish high in mercury, like tuna, only sparingly.

Old 10-22-2009, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
^^^ pregnant women are not supposed to eat raw fish ever. And fish high in mercury, like tuna, only sparingly.
Tell that to all the Japanese women that have been successfully reproducing yet still eating raw fish.

(I get what you're saying though!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink