Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2009, 10:27 AM

12,015 posts, read 11,290,327 times

Advertisements

Leftover meatloaf, mashed potatoes etc...

Old 11-06-2009, 10:37 AM

9,718 posts, read 6,416,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I don't know why, but I have never made a chicken pot pie. I cobbled a recipe together after reading four from various cookbooks. The phone was ringing, the kid and husband were bugging me all during the crucial roux-making and adding to the pot part, yet it turned out very well. Unfortunately, I don't remember how I did it!
I make my own chicken pie all the time and everyone loves it. For the roux it's just equal parts butter (usually 1/2 stick) to flour or enough flour to make a thick paste. Melt butter then add flour and wisk until golden. Add salt and pepper and gradually pour in chicken stock while wisking. I do add a bit of fat free half and half also. Cook until thickened.

Add your cooked chicken (I use a rotisserie chicken cut up), carrots, peas, cooked diced potatoes and I like baby mushrooms (blanched) too Season everything again with whatever you like and TASTE. Put everything into a casserole or baking dish and cover with either your own pie crust or Pillsbury. Poke a few holes on the crust to have the steam escape and brush with egg wash. I usually have more dough then needed so I'll cut out leaves or pumpkins or whatever time of the year it is and place on top of the crust. Stupid but pretty

What I have found though is when I make it in advance and refrigerate it, it doesn't come out as creamy as when I bake it as soon as it's put together.

Hope this helps you remember your recipe

Last edited by Bella52; 11-06-2009 at 10:52 AM.. Reason: forgot to add how much butter

Old 11-06-2009, 10:40 AM

12,015 posts, read 11,290,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella52 View Post
I make my own chicken pie all the time and everyone loves it. For the roux it's just equal parts butter to flour or enough flour to make a thick paste. Melt butter then add flour and wisk until golden. Add salt and pepper and gradually pour in chicken stock while wisking. I do add a bit of fat free half and half also. Cook until thickened.

Add your cooked chicken (I use a rotisserie chicken cut up), carrots, peas, cooked diced potatoes and I like baby mushrooms (blanched) too Season everything again with whatever you like and TASTE. Put everything into a casserole or baking dish and cover with either your own pie crust or Pillsbury. Poke a few holes on the crust to have the steam escape and brush with egg wash. I usually have more dough then needed so I'll cut out leaves or pumpkins or whatever time of the year it is and place on top of the crust. Stupid but pretty

What I have found though is when I make it in advance and refrigerate it, it doesn't come out as creamy as when I bake it as soon as it's put together.

Hope this helps you remember your recipe
YUM!!! I want this!!!!!

Old 11-06-2009, 10:51 AM

3,169 posts, read 5,163,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
Idk...I have a ton of mashed potatoes left over from when I made fried chicken the other night, so something to go w/ those. Roast Beef maybe? Any suggestions? I need to go to the grocery store so I'm open...
Shepherd's pie.

Old 11-06-2009, 11:46 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,503,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella52 View Post
Love to have left over mashed to make potato cakes.........yummmm Roast beef sounds good, something easy, it's Friday
Do you have any tips on making mashed potato cakes? I have some leftover potatoes right now. When I've made them in the past, they've come out good but too greasy. How much fat? what kind? how hot do you do the pan?

Old 11-06-2009, 11:52 AM

3,928 posts, read 11,600,605 times
We're having spaghetti, salad, cheesy garlic toast and iced tea.

Old 11-06-2009, 01:22 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,305,849 times
Thumbs up Delicious!

Slow roasted garlic chicken- with white rice and steamed asparagus (& drizzled butter).

Old 11-06-2009, 03:08 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,031,639 times
Going out for a birthday celebration tonight!

Prime rib(12oz), baked potato, and corn for $4.99 at the Golden Spike. It's a bargain!

Old 11-06-2009, 03:47 PM

9,718 posts, read 6,416,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
Do you have any tips on making mashed potato cakes? I have some leftover potatoes right now. When I've made them in the past, they've come out good but too greasy. How much fat? what kind? how hot do you do the pan?
After I make the cakes I just saute them in a butter and olive oil. I don't put them in a real hot pan, only until the butter starts to melt and starts to sizzle.

After forming the cakes I do coat them with either panko or seasoned bread crumbs. I love the outside crispy and the inside nice and soft

Wish I had some leftover potatoes now

Old 11-06-2009, 04:05 PM

4,537 posts, read 9,189,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
There was quite a discussion of them here awhile ago. I've tried everything in searching but can't find the thread. I believe several posters said to add flour and an egg. Then form into patties about 3/4" thick and as round as a burger. I remember them from when I was a kid (and would like to make them again). They were browned and crispy on the outside and soft inside, not very greasy at all so I guess there's not much fat. They were cooked in a cast iron pan and were wonderful with a meat entrée and brown gravy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink