Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 06:08 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times

Advertisements

Well, good for you..way to go for it.
What I'm curious about is, what did you think was so daunting about making this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2009, 09:06 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,012,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Well, good for you..way to go for it.
What I'm curious about is, what did you think was so daunting about making this?
I have just not done a lot of large cuts of meat...

About the BBQ Sauce...
I found a vinegar based sauce called Scotts that is made in NC and
tastes great.
The tomato based ones overpower the pork.. hate them on pork.

My next cooking challenge is to learn to do cedar planked seafood.
What type fish would be best for this ? My husband loved a meal he got in KeyWest. It was a fish filet on a cedar plank with a basil creme sauce.
He likes mild flavored fish.

I guess I can steal the thread since I started it

Old 10-27-2009, 09:14 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,851,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
I have just not done a lot of large cuts of meat...

About the BBQ Sauce...
I found a vinegar based sauce called Scotts that is made in NC and
tastes great.
The tomato based ones overpower the pork.. hate them on pork.

My next cooking challenge is to learn to do cedar planked seafood.
What type fish would be best for this ? My husband loved a meal he got in KeyWest. It was a fish filet on a cedar plank with a basil creme sauce.
He likes mild flavored fish.

I guess I can steal the thread since I started it
Don't let big scare you, just cook long and slow...

I have the planks I bought 2 years ago in Alaska, guess what...not used either. Remember to soak them well as most fish likes a higher temp and they will burn. If hubby likes mild fish, I would think halibut, or tilapia maybe? Salmon would be wonderful on the plank, marinated a bit, then cook pretty fast, as it does not take long...I forget the plank and just put mine on the grill The sauce sounds wonderful...

Old 10-28-2009, 05:47 AM

1,335 posts, read 3,149,862 times
South Carolina style Cedar Plank Carp. (yes Carp)

Soak the planks, catch a fresh carp in the local pond, clean and dress it. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and cook on soaked planks for 40 minutes over a medium fire.

Remove plank and fish, take fish off of plank, throw in the trash can, and eat the plank. hahahahahah

All jokes aside, I think the plank is mostly a gimmick. Most importantly is to prepare the fish well, don't overcook it, and match it with a sauce, condiment, or sides that suit the fish, and your tastes. I really like grilled for more robust fish (Salmon, Tuna, etc.) and baked for lighter fish (Cod, Orange Roughy, Tilapia). I like fried too, but try to stay away from it. (But Fried Salt n Pepper Catfish, NC style is 'to die for'.)

Old 10-28-2009, 10:54 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmateo View Post
As a 30+ year resident of NC, I can assure you that anythign that involves crockpots, and especially liquid smoke is NOT NC Pulled pork. (I will grant you that it is probably very good, and I mean you no offense, but we are very serious about our BBQ here!)
And if you go to Texas or Kansas City, they'll tell you that REAL barbecue doesn't exist in the Carolinas.

Old 10-29-2009, 09:24 AM

24,407 posts, read 23,065,142 times
We use a pork loin and then cook it up in a crock pot. Its less fat and when bought on sale its not too expensive. I'm not a big fan of barbecue sauce in my pork, just enough to taste. And then you put relish on it. I am a fan of dry rub NC pork style but its hard to find in Pa.
What could I add to season it to make it more NC style? Not a fan of hot sauce either unless its on hot wings.

Old 10-29-2009, 01:05 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
I have a piece of boneless pork loin in my oven right now. A friend gave me the recipe, and it couldn't be easier.
Take one pork loin (mine is 3 lbs or so)
Spread the meat with your choice of bar-b-que sauce ( we like Sticky Finger brand Carolina style)
Double wrap in heavy foil
Cook in a med-low oven. I set mine to 300 degrees, and allow about 4 hours, although it can cook longer if desired.
Take it out, shred the meat, and add more sauce.

Old 10-29-2009, 01:48 PM

1,335 posts, read 3,149,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
And if you go to Texas or Kansas City, they'll tell you that REAL barbecue doesn't exist in the Carolinas.
What Texas has is good, VERY good. But NC was first. It's historically documented. I prefer the NC, but will go out of my way in Texas to eat theirs because I can't get it up here. But which is "better" is a matter of personal taste.

And I love me some KC ribs (Memphis is better IMO), but what they have is Barbeque'd Ribs, not "Barbecue". Note that in KC (and up North, for God's sake) they have the misconception that BBQ is a verb. Here in the South, we know it is a noun. (A Proper noun at that).

Again, all in fun.... The real truth is that I love it all, and especially love any pork product cooked over a live fire. I love to eat, and to try what I can't get here, and I also (obviously) love to stir up a little contraversy on the way... all in fun....

Old 10-29-2009, 02:02 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times
I love pulled pork. If you live in an area with a large Hispanic population, check out their grocery stores. You can usually get pork butt, shoulder, or leg very cheap. I got some yesterday at Liborio. Pork leg for .77/lb. I'll be doing a roaster pan full this weekend some time. This stuff freezes great too.

Old 10-30-2009, 03:33 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,544,358 times
We couldn't pass on the price of a pork butt roast either. I was going to smoke it over low heat, but I didn't want to spend the day tending the coals. So I found a slow cooker recipe that called for covering the slow cooker bottom, sides and top of the roast. Cook over medium heat for 4-6 hours and then remove pork and shred. The meat just fell apart when cutting. Toss meat back in the slow cooker, mix with barbecue sauce and cook for 2-3 more hours. Our sauce consisted of a mixture of Sweet Baby Rays, A-1 Steak sauce and water to thin the sauce. It went over very well with the family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink