Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2009, 04:50 AM

4,533 posts, read 8,340,730 times

Advertisements

We bought bananas last weekend and they were green. They have not even started to turn yellow and are still hard when you touch them. They're in a plastic bag that does say Del Monte bananas and they're a product of Costa Rica. So I highly doubt they are plantains. I've never had bananas that would not turn or start turning to yellow after a few days. Could they be plantains that got put in the wrong bag or do I have some sort of a different type of banana?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2009, 05:45 AM

18,950 posts, read 11,592,650 times
No, plantains end up turning black, anyway (and are best that way IMO).

I'd take them out of the plastic bag and put them in a closed brown paper bag. That's the classic way to expedite banana ripening. I rarely buy them green green - only when they are greenish/yellow - they never seem to get ripe when they start sooo green. Maybe it's because of pesticides or picking too early or...?

Old 10-28-2009, 07:38 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,626,809 times
I use newspapers to ripen mine and it seems to work ( a paper bag would no doubt work too) . Just wrap them nicely in it .It will be even quicker if you use an over ripe fruit with it.

Some people use a microwave but I have never done it.

Old 10-28-2009, 09:44 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,125,351 times
Put your bananas in a bag. Put a ripe apple in the bag with them. The ethylene gas that the apple produces will ripen your bananas very quickly. (It works with all fruit that I know of, and even works to make things like pineapple plants bear fruit.)

Old 10-28-2009, 11:27 AM

2,546 posts, read 6,874,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebobs View Post
We bought bananas last weekend and they were green. They have not even started to turn yellow and are still hard when you touch them. They're in a plastic bag that does say Del Monte bananas and they're a product of Costa Rica. So I highly doubt they are plantains. I've never had bananas that would not turn or start turning to yellow after a few days. Could they be plantains that got put in the wrong bag or do I have some sort of a different type of banana?

You could take them back to where you bought them and exchange them for a different bunch or just ask for your money back.
This happens every now and then with bananas at Costco- they gladly take them back- saying yea we had a bad batch this time or you can exchange them.

Old 10-28-2009, 12:33 PM

3,440 posts, read 6,547,503 times
Chances are the bananas you bought were allowed to be in storage or travel at too cold a temperature. When that happens they just won't rippen.

Old 10-28-2009, 12:39 PM

4,533 posts, read 8,340,730 times
Thanks all for the answers. I'll give it to the weekend and I'll try the paper bag thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink