Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 02:06 PM

1,566 posts, read 2,159,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
I ALWAYS cook on Mom's day. Learn't this from Dad when I was growing up. Lots o' money in the emotional bank account.

This year- Grilled marinated Tri-tip, asparagus and red tater salad.

Couldn't rep ya yet...Very wise words indeed!!

We usually go to my in-laws and we do cook, but the men do all the cleaning up. Well, my mother in law does the main cooking (she loves it and it's a good thing as she's an amazing cook) and I am always in charge of the appetizers. (good thing because I love little finger foods! almost as much fun eating them as they are making them!)

Unfortunately, my parents live a state away in Nevada so I never see my mom on mother's day, but we talk of course and we'll celebrate when she's next visiting or vice versa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2013, 03:27 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,561,490 times
Me and the kids usually cook a brunch and serve with a mimosa or a bellini for mom. Always goes down well. Fresh flowers in a vase on the table of course. I'm getting to the point where the kids are moving from sous chefs and preparers to deciding the menu. Its their mom after all...

French toast with fresh berries in a coulis (heat fruit jam in the micorwave!), or scrambled eggs with hot-smoked salmon and some chives on top. That sorta thing. Little salad on the side - and you're set. Kid's home-made cards go down well too.

Old 05-11-2013, 05:26 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,351,944 times
Sunday (tomorrow) is a big flea marketing day for DH (he has a stand), so we're celebrating today. He, our youngest daughter, and I are going to have a few glasses of wine and then go pig out at the local all-you-can eat Chinese buffet. Tomorrow, I can enjoy the day working in my garden and reading. Our oldest daughter and her husband will be spending Mother's Day at her mother-in-law's - they'll have a get together with a big dinner and lots of company. Not my cup of tea.

Old 05-11-2013, 07:36 AM

20,935 posts, read 28,426,121 times
Well I am not a mom and we really never did do much for mother's day growing up,I asked my mom what she wanted to do and she said that mother's day is everyday with us. She does not need 1 day to know how special she is.

Old 05-11-2013, 08:20 AM

20,048 posts, read 18,307,736 times
DW has informed me she would like this (b'fast in bed):

buttermilk pancakes
sausage links
fried egg
cup of Starbucks with whip cream on top!

Her wish is my command!!

Old 05-11-2013, 10:04 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssg II View Post
My brother & I are trying to remember a recipe our mom used to make: Ham Croquettes. If we can get it right (I remember ground ham, onion, cracker crumbs, an egg, parsley. Anything else?) we'll serve it with mashed potatoes and a vegetable medley.
The first place I look for recipes is the food network, then I try just putting the name of the recipe in Yahoo or google, usually I depend on allrecipes.com .

Old 05-11-2013, 10:17 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
Sunday (tomorrow) is a big flea marketing day for DH (he has a stand), so we're celebrating today. He, our youngest daughter, and I are going to have a few glasses of wine and then go pig out at the local all-you-can eat Chinese buffet. Tomorrow, I can enjoy the day working in my garden and reading. Our oldest daughter and her husband will be spending Mother's Day at her mother-in-law's - they'll have a get together with a big dinner and lots of company. Not my cup of tea.
You know what? I am with you. I will enjoy our lunch at DD tomorrow. Her daughter, sil and kids will have to head back to OKC early to mid afternoon, so our lunch will be only a few hours and that is fine with me. She did say, her other daughter, sil and baby might be doing something else. I am praying that is the case. The older one, and hubby are moving to NWA in a couple of weeks, as soon as their house settles. I am excited for them to live close to the rest of us but am not thrilled with all the large family get togethers we will be facing and the "don't leave anyone out" routine. I can see it now, every time one of us wants to get together the whole family will have to be invited. Don't get me wrong, I love each of them but there are times I like to just spend time with DD.

I wish our younger daughter could be here as well, but she will be working in Florida. I did get a wonderful gift certificate to Home Goods. I can't wait to go shopping on Tues...

Old 05-11-2013, 11:12 AM

4,103 posts, read 7,026,063 times
I celebrated yesterday since I would be working tomorrow. I wasn't feeling that good last night so I just ordered Olive Garden to go. I'm not a huge fan of Olive Garden but I didn't feel like fast food and there aren't any other places with to go service that I know of. I ended up getting soup, salad, stuffed mushrooms and the bruschetta appetizer.

Old 05-11-2013, 01:36 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,431,396 times
We're grilling ribeye steaks, and sides are baby lettuce salad and homemade white cheddar mac and cheese. Ham and Swiss puff pastry pinwheels for apps and ice cream for dessert. It is in the 80s over here this weekend.

Old 05-11-2013, 07:08 PM

3,663 posts, read 8,665,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhlcomp View Post
Anyone cooking at home this Mother's Day? Please share your menu.

Our grille will be doing double duty --

Grilled shrimp kabobs
Fillet Mignon
Sweet potato salad
Cole slaw

Desert: Lemon ice box cake (this is a new recipe for me)

Happy Mother's Day to all the Mom's
Nice menu, My kids are treating me to Tony Roma's, my fave!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink