Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 11:36 PM

21,353 posts, read 8,415,824 times

Advertisements

I like to use Maine potatoes, but will use other all purpose potatoes if I can't find them. I only use russet potatoes for roasting or baking.

I boil them. Sometimes with skins left on, sometimes peeled (Thanksgiving would be peeled). It depends what I'm mashing them for.

I use 1/2 and 1/2 because I don't have milk on hand. I use the half and half in my coffee, so that's what I have laying around. And BUTTAH!!! Also, salt and fresh grated pepper. My difference from the rest of you is, I also grate a white onion into them as well. My aunt is French Canadian and she taught my mom this way 50 + years ago.

If I'm making mashies to have with ribs or another hearty type meat, I'll add garlic powder to the mix. Much easier than messing with the garlic and you can't tell the difference in taste imo.

I also love to make twice baked potatoes with the buttah, sour cream, milk (1/2 and 1/2), cheddar cheese, salt and pepper, and sometimes bacon broken up after frying. Delicious!!!

LOVED the recipe with the 3 cheeses, but I will add grated onion to the mix.

Great thread!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2009, 12:31 AM

42,618 posts, read 86,598,945 times
I never peel the potatoes. Just butter and lots of black pepper, and either milk, or yogurt if I have an old tub that's been around too long.

Adele Davis described a method that I loved, but I seldom have the guts to do it, because it takes a little practice and lots of attention. She cooked the potatoes right in the milk. Milk boils at a very high temperature, so the potatoes cooked well if covered so there was lots of steam. Get the amount of milk just right, and they mash beautifully, and none of the nutrients get drained out. This has to be watched carefully, because the pan can burn if the milk boils away, and it can boil over if on too high.

Old 11-07-2009, 11:44 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,156,517 times
How do I make mashed potatoes? Badly! Never seem to get it right and always hate mine. Hence I don't try very often.

Old 11-07-2009, 12:40 PM

20,058 posts, read 18,220,575 times
1 can of evaporated milk, and a whole stick of salted butter. Mouth-watering!!

Old 11-07-2009, 02:04 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,508,741 times
whole milk; unsalted butter and seson to taste.

Old 11-07-2009, 04:11 PM

2,046 posts, read 5,565,536 times
I bought a "Potato Ricer" its awesome!

Old 11-08-2009, 10:37 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,444,658 times
My mashed potatoes at my restaurant are devoured by all! I boil half and half red and white potatoes with their skins on, drain and add minced garlic, black pepper, loads of salted butter and then hand-mash with whole milk. Yummy!

Old 12-18-2009, 01:35 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,372,667 times
I use russett or yukon gold potatoes. Like most of you melted butter i cannot believe it's not butteer is what i use. Half and Half or cream, green onions, or chives, a bit of garlic if you choose.
Sometimes if i get fancy i throw in, minced lobster meat or crab, sauted mushrooms, and cheddar cheese, with dirkee onion rings on top. Or sometimes i just do regular brocolli and cheddar mash potatoes, everyone like's those. Or your mash potatoes, with cooked bacon cheddar, and mushrooms. Actually it is whatever i have in the house at the time i make mash potatoes. And who doesn't love just plain mash potatoes and butter or gravy.

Old 12-18-2009, 03:51 PM

3,646 posts, read 5,399,061 times
This thread is making me hungry. (I have to go meet some people for a Christmas event -- one absolutely refuses to cook -- at a restaurant that some of us really can't afford. The compromise is the "thrifty" ones are having an appetizer and the other one is eating her large meal at the bar with us. I want to see all of these folks because some are going out of town next week, but Mr. Recession is still very alive and well in this household!) Anyway . . . this is how I make my yummy mashed potatoes. I use all purpose potatoes. Peel, cut into a large dice and boil with a little salt until they are tender when pierced with my mother's meat fork from the fifties. This crucial step makes them taste ever so good! (LOL). I drain all of the water off and sit the pan back on the eye for about thirty seconds (to get the last little bit of moisture off the potatoes). Then I mash them in the pan with my grandmother's potato masher from the forties. I add whole milk, margarine, salt and pepper and fold in these ingredients. Finally, I fluff the potatoes up a bit with a dinner fork. Yum, I am starving! I did have some mashed potatoes in a restaurant this week that had creamed cheese in them. They were good for a special occasion, but I like mine best!

Old 12-18-2009, 06:09 PM

4,720 posts, read 15,557,316 times
Boil or steam, hand mash well with a small cream cheese, small sour cream and 1/2 stick of butter. Salt/pepper, dabs of butter on top of buttered casserole. Yes-The key word is butter, but I only make these once or twice a year. With all the other items, you dont need alot.
Bake,350 1/2 hr, sprinkle top with a little paprika when done.
Loosen pants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink