Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2012, 10:04 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
Don't forget the turkey!

Looks standard except I've never heard of corn pudding.
Corn pudding is a staple in many of the Southern coastal states. It is WHOLE, KERNEL corn suspended in a cream custard. Here is a typical recipe:

Beaumont Inn Corn Pudding Recipe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2012, 12:13 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,505,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Colonial Girl View Post
Are these the typical thanksgiving side dishes? Not necessarily your family specialities or newfangled things you're trying to get Auntie Beryl to try, but the ones you'd expect to see on most people's tables.

Stuffing/dressing
Green bean casserole
mashed potatoes
candied yams
corn pudding
dinner rolls
cranberry sauce
gravy
Yes, except never the dreaded green bean casserole, and we don't do corn pudding (tho it sounds tasty).

Old 11-24-2012, 08:50 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
southern girl here so we do our corn as Cheese Grits Casserole. Even made it with my daughter who was hundreds of miles away on Skype. That was fun!
I like a green salad with every meal so we also have spinach salad with warm bacon dressing and mandarin oranges.

no potatoes this year and no rolls as we had cornbread/sausage dressing which was enough carbs

Old 11-24-2012, 08:56 AM

3,646 posts, read 5,420,743 times
I've made corn pudding and no one ever liked it much but me. I think it's delicious. Love Cheese Grits! I like any grits. I like the green bean casserole, also. There aren't many foods I don't like but if I don't care for them I don't eat them.

Old 11-24-2012, 09:19 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,764,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Colonial Girl View Post
Are these the typical thanksgiving side dishes? Not necessarily your family specialities or newfangled things you're trying to get Auntie Beryl to try, but the ones you'd expect to see on most people's tables.

Stuffing/dressing
Green bean casserole
mashed potatoes
candied yams
corn pudding
dinner rolls
cranberry sauce
gravy
That's pretty standard for us, except we do broccoli casserole and no corn casserole, oh and if it's just the 4 of us, no candied yams. I'm the only one in the house that will eat yams/sweet potatoes. If we have others here, I will do a sweet potato casserole. No marshmallows. Topping is chopped pecans and brown sugar. And for dessert it's pecan pie and usually a chocolate fudge pie.

Old 11-24-2012, 11:56 AM

3,516 posts, read 6,782,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Corn pudding is a staple in many of the Southern coastal states. It is WHOLE, KERNEL corn suspended in a cream custard. Here is a typical recipe:

Beaumont Inn Corn Pudding Recipe
Huh, I've lived in the southeast all my life but haven't come across corn pudding. The recipe says its a Kentucky staple, so maybe I just haven't wandered far enough north.

Old 11-24-2012, 12:11 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
Huh, I've lived in the southeast all my life but haven't come across corn pudding. The recipe says its a Kentucky staple, so maybe I just haven't wandered far enough north.
I encountered it a lot in S. Virginia.

Old 11-24-2012, 01:46 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,762,019 times
Baked sweet or white potatoes rather than mashed or candied are common with us.

We ALWAYS have succotash.
Crescent rolls out of the tube are de rigeur. My sister's kids eat nothing else. (Literally.)
Cranberry relish AND whole-berry cranberry sauce.
Long grain & wild rice with the standard seasonings, or brown rice cooked in OJ with dried berries and tossed with chestnuts and apples.
Baked winter squash, usually with the orange glaze.
Cranberry bread, sometimes.

Old 11-24-2012, 04:22 PM

794 posts, read 1,409,382 times
I've only had corn pudding once, when I saw the recipe I understood why it was so tasty. It's a full on cream custard.

Old 11-24-2012, 06:40 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,406,247 times
Where's the rutabagas?

We always had them on Thanksgiving, it goes so well with the turkey. That was a Michigan thing. Since moving to Texas, I can rarely find decent sized rutabagas, and the taste is lacking. Perhaps the Michigan soil? Well, for those who are wondering, WTH is a rutabaga, its a yellow turnip. Just boil, mash, salt, pepper, butter. Nice if you can find.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink