Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 11:28 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,145,093 times

Advertisements

Green beans (not a casserole ... Never had that)
Sage stuffing
Sweet potatoes
Mashed potatoes
Cranberry relish
Turkey gravy

And our family's "top-secret recipe" pie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2012, 05:47 AM

782 posts, read 1,105,770 times
Stuffing
Sweet potatoe casserole
Mashed potatoes
Green beans (sometimes normal, sometimes casserole)
Corn
Brocoli-cheese-rise casserole
Cranberries (propperly cooked, not the nasty jellied, canned crap)
Turkey gravy

Then deserts
apple pie
cherry pie
pumpkin pie
pecan pie

Old 11-25-2012, 02:51 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Where's the rutabagas?

We always had them on Thanksgiving, it goes so well with the turkey. That was a Michigan thing. Since moving to Texas, I can rarely find decent sized rutabagas, and the taste is lacking. Perhaps the Michigan soil? Well, for those who are wondering, WTH is a rutabaga, its a yellow turnip. Just boil, mash, salt, pepper, butter. Nice if you can find.....

Rutabagas can grow in the South but most prefer to grow TURNIPS instead. Most people like the turnip greens as opposed to the root or include the roots in the pot with the greens.

I post this as my father is eating a raw turnip that he dug up this morning. Raw. He prefers kohlrabis in the summer months. He does NOT cook the greens. Call it regional differences.

I do not share his joy of root vegetables.

Old 11-25-2012, 05:28 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Where's the rutabagas?

We always had them on Thanksgiving, it goes so well with the turkey. That was a Michigan thing. Since moving to Texas, I can rarely find decent sized rutabagas, and the taste is lacking. Perhaps the Michigan soil? Well, for those who are wondering, WTH is a rutabaga, its a yellow turnip. Just boil, mash, salt, pepper, butter. Nice if you can find.....
We had rutabaga with pot roast.

Old 11-25-2012, 05:33 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,404,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Rutabagas can grow in the South but most prefer to grow TURNIPS instead. Most people like the turnip greens as opposed to the root or include the roots in the pot with the greens.

I post this as my father is eating a raw turnip that he dug up this morning. Raw. He prefers kohlrabis in the summer months. He does NOT cook the greens. Call it regional differences.

I do not share his joy of root vegetables.

I just cook a small pot of rutabagas, for nostalagia. I like the smell, it reminds me of Thanksgiving at home.But such puny rutabagas they grow here, its pathetic! Itty, bitty, scrawny miserable things they say are rutabagas. perhaps I will grow my own for next year? Oh, btw, my dad loved root veggies raw, too. Perhaps a southern thing---he was from Virginia. he liked beets, sweet potatoes, just raw. I've never cooked the greens, perhaps try something new? whatever, hope all had a nice Thanksgiving!

Old 11-25-2012, 05:54 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Quote:
I just cook a small pot of rutabagas, for nostalagia. I like the smell, it reminds me of Thanksgiving at home.But such puny rutabagas they grow here, its pathetic! Itty, bitty, scrawny miserable things they say are rutabagas. perhaps I will grow my own for next year? Oh, btw, my dad loved root veggies raw, too. Perhaps a southern thing---he was from Virginia. he liked beets, sweet potatoes, just raw. I've never cooked the greens, perhaps try something new? whatever, hope all had a nice Thanksgiving!
My father's favorite green to cook is the beet green. However, unfortunately for him, it is the favorite of the local deer who will chew them off before he gets to them.

I saw something that looked good at a stand at Cincinnati's Findlay Market - Roasted Beets and Sweet Potatoes. They looked pretty good - but NOT $9.99/lb good.

As for greens, I saw an interesting presentation on a trip to Utah a few years ago. Shred collard greens in very thin strips. Saute them quickly in olive oil and garlic. I was surprised that they were so good.

Old 11-25-2012, 05:58 PM

44,355 posts, read 20,059,784 times
Quote:
Where's the rutabagas?

That brings back a sweet memory. My mom always made mashed rutabaga for holiday dinners, though she was the only one who liked the stuff! She was a fantastic cook, but I never could stand rutabaga.

My side dishes for Turkey Day this year were:
bread stuffing (baked inside the turkey )
fresh Polish sausage (my family is Polish; gotta have it!)
cucumber salad served on a red lettuce leaf
fresh green beans, steamed and then tossed with butter, fresh lemon juice and sliced almonds
homemade cranberry relish
sweet potatoes mashed with fresh squeezed orange juice, a small amount of milk and a little brown sugar

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 12-04-2012, 06:55 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,019,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
Yes, except never the dreaded green bean casserole, and we don't do corn pudding (tho it sounds tasty).
We;ve never had green bean casserole, but that Australian, wild colonial girl insists that ALL americans have it, in addition to marshmallow sweet potato pie (Australia forum... thread on American cuisine in Australia).

She even insists that ALL american food = fast food, that food in the US is bad and that anything Australian is superior, ignoring the fact that Australians have one of the highest obesity rates in the world, in some studies, surpassing even the US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildColonialGirl View Post
Because the sterotype of American food is true. Yes, Australia has fatty unhealthy food, but most restaurants have food that's freshly made onsite, is lightly seasoned, fresh, etc. We don't have Ruby Tuesday, Chilli's, TGI Fridays, Outback Steakhouse, Applebees, Hooters, Golden Corrall, Olive Garden, Denny's etc, who just reheat prepackaged foods http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?t=5019
I've been served food just as bad or worse in non-chain or small chain restaurants in the US, including food that's still frozen in the middle. Even IHOp doesn't actually make their pancakes from eggs and flour, they use a packet mix.
We don't eat resturant food daily, either, we cook our own.

And the pies, pasties and sausage rolls you're complaining about are our equivalent of your microwaved pizza-like product or foil-wrapped hot dog sitting in a warmer. No healthier, but a whole lot tastier.

http://www.slashfood.com/2009/10/16/7-eleven-pizza-wings-added-to-hot-food-menu/

Old 12-05-2012, 09:09 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
in our family we serve cheese grits casserole instead of corn pudding. it wouldn't be a holiday without it.

Old 12-05-2012, 08:15 PM

737 posts, read 1,148,912 times
I had Thanksgiving dinner with a group of about 30. People from all across the country. Different ages.

Everybody ate the turkey, mashed potatos, stuffing, rolls.

Most ate the cranberry, salad and the pumpkin pie.

Hardly anyone ate the green beans or sweet potatos.

I would have rather had corn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink