Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Favorite coffee?
Chock full o'Nuts 1 1.30%
Dunkin Donuts 7 9.09%
Folgers 6 7.79%
Maxwell House 4 5.19%
MJB 0 0%
Nescafé 0 0%
Hill's Brothers 0 0%
Starbuck's 7 9.09%
Other 52 67.53%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2014, 11:45 AM

5,865 posts, read 11,922,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Is grinding your own beans worth it? How big a difference does it make in the taste? I have a grinder still in the box, but have been too lazy to use it as yet.
Once I started grinding my own, I found I preferred it over pre-ground coffee. I used to have an awesome coffee maker that would grind the beans and then make the coffee on a timer but it quit working and the company sold out and doesn't make the same ones anymore. I don't like the way the Cuisinart grind 'n brews work. So, now I have a countertop grinder that has a setting for the number of cups and I grind the beans before I go to bed and program the coffee pot for 6 AM. It's not quite as good as freshly ground, but it's the best I can do and still have my coffee ready when I wake up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2014, 11:51 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,969,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
...for my Keurig.
Goodness I hate those dumb machines. Talk about a massive polluting device! Why not get a French Press? They don't need that dumb plastic holder that ends up in the ocean.

Old 04-05-2014, 11:54 AM

1,509 posts, read 1,795,020 times
Grinding my own beans takes up to 15 seconds, depending on how fine/strong I want it. Brief noise.

Old 04-05-2014, 12:09 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
Peet's when it's on sale, New England Coffee, Green Mountain Coffee. Mostly around here the restaurants have Green Mountain.

I can't drink Starbucks--it tasted burnt the one time I tried it.

Most of the time as long as it's from arabica beans the coffee seems to be okay

Old 04-05-2014, 12:36 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,986,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuteTheMall View Post
I voted OTHER because I don't care for the burnt taste of Starbucks, and all of the other containers of ground coffee taste alike.

I prefer French Roast over the others, grind my own beans IF they smell good out of the bins at the grocery stores. If I have to buy them pre-packaged, just about any private label house brand of whole beans on sale will do. Last resort is ground coffee.
Interesting. To me, french roast = burnt. If I can smell carbon, it's overroasted.

Some people like that, but IMO it makes little or no sense to pay a premium for it. If one is going to pay a premium for a coffee, I would think it would be to taste what the actual bean/farm/origin offers, thus it only makes sense to buy it roasted lighter. Once you get to french roast, it almost doesn't matter what the source of the bean is. A 95 point coffee would taste about the same as an 80 point coffee since you've roasted out what makes the more expensive beans unique. Just my opinion. YMMV.

Old 04-05-2014, 12:51 PM

1,764 posts, read 2,865,323 times
I don't really care for coffee. I have a Keurig so I can have specialty blends when I do have it. I think "Christmas blend" should be available all year round. ;-) I also like Pumpkin spice and Hazelnut. The machine would be a total waste of money if I only used it for coffee though. I probably have about 4-5 cups a year.

Old 04-05-2014, 01:01 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,273,687 times
For home use, I prefer Community Coffee out of Baton Rouge, LA. Some of the Trader Joe's coffees are quite good but the prices are much higher. They will work in a pinch.

On the road, I prefer Tim Horton's. Their food stinks in the US stores but is pretty good in Canada. Their coffee is good in both.

I will admit that my choice of coffee is predicated on having access to WiFi on the road.

Old 04-05-2014, 01:02 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,321,575 times
If I buy coffee to brew at home, it's only Fair Trade coffee.

Old 04-05-2014, 02:08 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,761,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Is grinding your own beans worth it? How big a difference does it make in the taste? I have a grinder still in the box, but have been too lazy to use it as yet.
Yes! Get that grinder out of the box. Once you have tasted freshly ground beans that you prepare at home using the method you prefer, you will never go back.

Old 04-05-2014, 02:16 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,761,684 times
When I want a great cup of coffee, I do it at home. Sure, I'll pick up a cup here and there in town but it is like something that I get and imbibe just because - a local convenience store is on my way to wherever I am going. We don't have drive-thru Starbucks here in my town but instead there are locally owned businesses (Yes!). If one has a hankering for Starbucks, you have to walk-in.

I voted for other. For an olfactory and gustatory delight, I will prepare freshly ground coffee beans (usually French roast).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink