U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 07:19 PM

15,972 posts, read 8,760,167 times

Advertisements

I have an electric skillet that I set at 375 deg. Works great. And I tried all different kinds of mixes and I ended up liking the Great Value (Wally World) "Extra Fluffy" mix. Nice and thick and the right shade of golden brown when done.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2009, 03:36 PM

35,266 posts, read 41,337,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikesareBetter View Post
A Non-Stick Fry Pan. And Gross to all other Pancake Recipts but JOC. Seriously, that is THEE one and only recipe. And you MUST use the whole 2 sticks of butter. And follow the recipe EXACTLY...which means don't be lazy and throw all your eggs in one bowl!
What recipe are you referring to??

Old 02-24-2010, 09:43 PM

4,100 posts, read 6,810,660 times
Seriously, two sticks of butter? I suspect that is only one recipe that is fit to eat, and with 2 sticks of butter, I question that. I use a griddle usually. I like kitchen stuff, so often I have two or three of everything. We have two oblong griddles, and two round griddles, usually use one of the oblong griddles on top of a six burner gas cook top. When I'm in a hurry I use Krusteaz pancake mix and use buttermil instead of water. I also use a recipe that uses oatmeal, it's my wifes favorite.

Old 02-25-2010, 12:38 PM

621 posts, read 1,012,258 times
Griddle - buttered

I add honey to the standard ingredients and cinammon to the top.

No need for syrup...YUM!

Old 02-25-2010, 12:54 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,300,105 times
I use an electric griddle and the cooks illustrated recipe. I add some flax, soy flour and oat bran to the recipe and usually some blueberries. yum!!

Old 02-25-2010, 01:13 PM

12,585 posts, read 15,812,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Skillet? Griddle? (And if it's a griddle - electric? stove top?).

Never have mastered the perfect pancake, and am determined to get it right.
Pancake mix.
Couple of eggs.
Some water.

Whip it all up till it is mildly runny. Little thick though.

Get the burner hot around 8 on electric stove top.

Don't pour on the pan yet.

Drop a small amount of oil on the pan move around.

Then pour a small amount of mix on the pan...roughly the size of a slice of cheese.

Let it sit for about a minute.

Flip it over let it sit for about 20 seconds or so.

Now...take that small pancake and swirl it around in the pan to move the oil all over the pan. Now throw that one away. It's junk.

Now turn your burner down a bit to about 6.

Now pour a pancake the size of a small plate on the burner.

Allow it to sit for about a minute. You will see bubbles on the edge popping and the pancake lift.

With the top of the pancake still wet you gently slide the utencil under the pancake. Once underneath slide it under the whole pancake quickly. You have to be at least 3/4 of the way under the pancake.

Now quickly flip it over. Good job!

Yeah alittle spit out the side. That's alright.

Wait it out about a minute or so again. You will see it raise up once more.

Take off the pan and place on the plate. It will seem hard at first but after it sits on the plate cooling it will turn soft and perfect.

Trust me I make thee best pancakes.

Never pour a pancake and leave. Stand there the whole time. You cannot walk away at anytime. They are made within a few minutes of each other. Also do not allow the pan to sit without a pancake in it.

Old 02-25-2010, 01:42 PM

8,410 posts, read 38,029,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Skillet? Griddle? (And if it's a griddle - electric? stove top?).

Never have mastered the perfect pancake, and am determined to get it right.
I cook mine with love.

I use a heavy skillet with a clear glass lid.
Get the pan hot so the butter is talking and then turn it down to med

I mix mine extra thick and give them a good whipping with a fork. (this helps the pancake keep from spreading out along with the hot pan)

Then I put on my glass lid and turn it down to low and watch for the bubbles to form in the center.

I butter my spatula for flipping and throw a few slices (thin) between the cakes before flipping them.

After the flip I re-lid till the puff up a bit and then I check the bottoms adding butter thin slices in the sides if the pan gets to dry. I turn the heat up as soon as they are pale yellow to give a hot butter toasting and flip em again to get the other side.

Adding potato flakes can make them have a more thick body to make it easy for flipping plus it tastes awesome.

If I want to add fruit I do it before any flips when the top is still liquid but the bubbles are coming up.

I think the secret is a good heavy pan that gives a nice even heat and does not pose a sticking issue. The heavy glass lid trapping the heat on top keeps the center from being too wet or too dry.
Plus the right spatula. I think long and thin is easier to flip with than wide and short.

In teflon or heavy butter I just flip them without the spatula. Don't try that unless you like to clean up the stove. It splats grease but is fun.

Old 02-25-2010, 01:50 PM

17,330 posts, read 30,928,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funymann View Post
Pancake mix.
Couple of eggs.
Some water.

Whip it all up till it is mildly runny. Little thick though.

Get the burner hot around 8 on electric stove top.

Don't pour on the pan yet.

Drop a small amount of oil on the pan move around.

Then pour a small amount of mix on the pan...roughly the size of a slice of cheese.

Let it sit for about a minute.

Flip it over let it sit for about 20 seconds or so.

Now...take that small pancake and swirl it around in the pan to move the oil all over the pan. Now throw that one away. It's junk.

Now turn your burner down a bit to about 6.

Now pour a pancake the size of a small plate on the burner.

Allow it to sit for about a minute. You will see bubbles on the edge popping and the pancake lift.

With the top of the pancake still wet you gently slide the utencil under the pancake. Once underneath slide it under the whole pancake quickly. You have to be at least 3/4 of the way under the pancake.

Now quickly flip it over. Good job!

Yeah alittle spit out the side. That's alright.

Wait it out about a minute or so again. You will see it raise up once more.

Take off the pan and place on the plate. It will seem hard at first but after it sits on the plate cooling it will turn soft and perfect.

Trust me I make thee best pancakes.

Never pour a pancake and leave. Stand there the whole time. You cannot walk away at anytime. They are made within a few minutes of each other. Also do not allow the pan to sit without a pancake in it.
Gee, I don't even like pancakes (my husband loves 'em, though) but with great writing like this, it makes me like them a whole lot!

Old 03-02-2010, 06:39 AM

16,348 posts, read 8,057,352 times
If they can come out with all these fancy baking gadgets with interchangeable plates for mini sandwiches, pizzelles (?), and waffles, you'd think that there could be one with for pancakes [of decent size]?

I had a pancake maker years back but it broke and haven't been able to find one yet to replace it. I like using the malt mix - Krusteuz. Always turn out light and fluffy. Mix fruit in there and sometimes crushed walnuts, or hazlenuts, and I like mine with those mini chocolate chips. Syrup and a bit of whipped creme. A caramel macchiato [from Tassimo maker]. And juice.
Sunday's breakfast take but not every Sunday.

Old 03-02-2010, 07:33 AM

5,014 posts, read 8,517,462 times
We use a non-stick skillet here. And we use a recipe that calls for cake flour. Absolutely yummy pancakes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink