Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 07:02 AM

16,176 posts, read 32,481,285 times

Advertisements

What are you serving / taking / eating for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2009, 07:08 AM

16,176 posts, read 32,481,285 times
For Christmas Eve I will do a beef tenderloin with a red wine and bleu cheese sauce, a lettuce wedge with homemade bleu cheese dressing, green bean bundles topped with sliced almonds, and homemade scalloped potatoes, with rolls. Red velvet cake for dessert.

For Christmas morning I will do two make aheads: a sausage egg cheese casserole and also a baked french toast. Assorted fruit tossed in sugar.

For Christmas Day I will do a spiral honey ham, mixed greens salad with a homemade raspberry dressing, homemade macaroni and cheese (sons request), a cranberry fruit jello salad that is my Mothers famous recipe, make ahead mashed potatoes and rolls. Rum cake for dessert.

Assorted snacks and appetizers on both days.

Old 11-28-2009, 08:18 AM

3,169 posts, read 5,161,728 times
I'm undecided. I'll be trolling Food Network for the next couple weeks for ideas. I usually jack something interesting from there for Christmas.

I don't do anything even remotely traditional.

Old 11-28-2009, 08:18 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,338,402 times
For Christmas eve, we have fish. We no longer do the 7 fishes, but will have several. Last year on Christmas day, we had beef stroganoff. That might be on the menu for this year also.

Old 11-28-2009, 08:24 AM

6,777 posts, read 13,547,001 times
We are doing a turkey for Christmas Eve w/ a lot of the same trimmings from Thanksgiving since DHs son was in London for T-Day this year and missed the traditional dinner.

Probably a Prime Rib for Christmas. So much food!

Old 11-28-2009, 08:54 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times
I haven't figured out Christmas Eve, let alone Christmas Day.
A few ideas:
Local shrimp for appetizers.
Some sort of Roast Beast for main course.
Probably Trifle for dessert.
We also have a progressive dinner that holiday week.
I'll be looking for ideas.

Old 11-28-2009, 11:23 AM

3,646 posts, read 5,418,502 times
Yum! I enjoyed the Thanksgiving meal so much that I've already started thinking about Christmas. Christmas Day dinner is at the home of a very dear and long time friend (30 years). She started planning her menu two weeks ago. We always have ham, turkey, dressing, sweet potato casserole, potato salad and some plain (no sauce) vegetables since there are a few diabetics. I'm taking stuffed celery (two fillings, seasoned cream cheese and pimento cheese), roasted pecans, deviled eggs, squash casserole, green bean casserole and the rolls. I usually throw in a few extra items I see on the Food Network. Some years we have a congealed fruit salad and others we have a fresh fruit salad.My friend's sister supplies most of the sweets! Also, we always have Alouette Cheese and crackers on the dessert table for the diabetics. I'll probably have some cheese straws left for the table. I may make ambrosia this year. On Christmas Eve there is a party with about 30 people. I haven't decided on my contribution for it. Parker House rolls go to my women's club Christmas party and I'm having a "sweets and salty" gathering close to Christmas. This will be assorted cookies, cheese straws, sausage balls, roasted nuts, coffee and some other beverage. I may do an oldie but goodie -- lime sherbert and ginger ale punch.

Old 11-28-2009, 01:11 PM

3,646 posts, read 5,418,502 times
Blue Willow Plate: I love your phrase "some sort of Roast Beast"! The progressive dinner sounds like so much fun. Is it in your neighborhood? What course do you have?

Old 11-28-2009, 05:49 PM

4,468 posts, read 7,999,911 times
Thumbs up And what are the directions to your house????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta View Post
For Christmas Eve I will do a beef tenderloin with a red wine and bleu cheese sauce, a lettuce wedge with homemade bleu cheese dressing, green bean bundles topped with sliced almonds, and homemade scalloped potatoes, with rolls. Red velvet cake for dessert.

For Christmas morning I will do two make aheads: a sausage egg cheese casserole and also a baked french toast. Assorted fruit tossed in sugar.

For Christmas Day I will do a spiral honey ham, mixed greens salad with a homemade raspberry dressing, homemade macaroni and cheese (sons request), a cranberry fruit jello salad that is my Mothers famous recipe, make ahead mashed potatoes and rolls. Rum cake for dessert.

Assorted snacks and appetizers on both days.
Wow...that sounds great...
HW

Old 11-29-2009, 07:23 AM
RHB

1,098 posts, read 2,150,057 times
I don't know yet...my son is coming home this year (with his girlfriend) so I'll see if he has any requests.

We do Christmas as a party with games and prizes, birthday cake and the such...so I don't know how many people will be coming to play, or what games we will play, or what the prizes will be...

Guess I better get busy and do some planing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink