Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 09:35 AM

3,805 posts, read 6,351,915 times

Advertisements

No secret really, but here's what I do.

Spaghetti Sauce

1 large yellow or white onion chopped
4 cloves garlic
2 (29 OZ) cans tomato sauce ( preferably low sodium 280 mg or under)
5 T. olive oil (use cheaper stuff- not virgin, but ok if used. Virgin is better for salad dressing used raw)
1 T. basil (dried) or 3-4 T. fresh
1 T. oregano
1/2 c. white or red wine
2 T. parmesan cheese

**3-4 (1/2 lb) sweet or spicy Italian sausage

Saute garlic and onions in olive oil over medium heat until onion is translucent. **If cooking with sausage, saute first until almost all done, pour off excess grease, then saute the onions and garlic. Add the tomato sauce, wine and herbs. If it tastes too salty, add 1 or 2 teaspoons sugar. When all ingredients are added, put in the parmesan cheese. Simmer for 20 to 30 minutes uncovered. The more you simmer, the more condensed it becomes so take care that it does not reduce too much. Either take off the heat or cover to prevent further evaporation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2009, 12:17 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,422,949 times
"What's your secret to a really good marina"

Lots of wanna-be sailors willing to pay high rents for the boat slips.

Sorry, couldn't resist
::: running away very quickly :::

Old 11-30-2009, 03:31 PM

328 posts, read 1,539,419 times
Onions and Garlic taste better sauteed in a mixture of a fresh salted butter and a little EVOO scattered in the pan..mostly butter. But don't let the butter burn. Let your onions get a little brown, and add your Garlic in.

Old 11-30-2009, 05:39 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,972,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
"What's your secret to a really good marina"

Lots of wanna-be sailors willing to pay high rents for the boat slips.

Sorry, couldn't resist
::: running away very quickly :::
Beat me to it........

Old 12-01-2009, 06:39 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,615,696 times
My "secret" as a non italian is to ask my Italian friends to make it for me !

Seriously though I have only made it on two occasions but it worked out very well. Use the very best, ripest tomatoes you can , squish them with your hands so that they are soft and yielding but still chunky, chop some garlic , fry gently in light olive oil with some herbs , thyme and oregano as well as some basil, add the tomatoes , a pinch of sea-salt salt and some pepper, then when the mixture is warm add some extra virgin olive oil ( the best you can afford) and some more herbs and a bay leaf. If the tomatoes are not as good as they good be a teeny- tiny sprinkle of brown sugar can help take the tartness out .

I also added some cloves of garlic which I had previously roasted whole , unpeeled for a sweet garlicky but subtle flavour.

Perfect with Fish or Seafood or even as a "dip" with warm Ciabatta... The taste of sunshine on a plate.

Old 12-01-2009, 07:21 AM

1,642 posts, read 4,090,761 times
Pop your whole tomatoes in boiling water for a min or less, the skins will slide right off

Old 12-01-2009, 08:50 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,710,161 times
When I make zucchini parm I always make my own sauce. I sautee half of an onion, chopped, and a few cloves of garlic in olive oil. Then I add a large can of crushed tomatoes in heavy puree, dried or fresh oregano and basil, salt, pepper, and then just let it simmer until I like the taste. Sometimes I'll add some meat and/or red wine. I can't remember if I add tomato paste, I don't think so (though I'll put it in when I use chopped tomatoes).

Old 12-01-2009, 09:31 AM

1,273 posts, read 4,158,127 times
"old" tomatoes work well too. I fry all my herbs before i add everything else. I also use the freshest of herbs I can find. I add a little red wine, and I also take a pork neck bone (not salted) and simmer it in the sauce for a very long time.

Old 12-01-2009, 09:41 AM

6,777 posts, read 13,544,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leilani Vasquez View Post
"old" tomatoes work well too. I fry all my herbs before i add everything else. I also use the freshest of herbs I can find. I add a little red wine, and I also take a pork neck bone (not salted) and simmer it in the sauce for a very long time.
Ahhh neckbones. My grandma used to do that. So. friggin. good. I forgot about that one.

Old 12-01-2009, 12:25 PM

1,273 posts, read 4,158,127 times
They're very inexpensive too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink