Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 02:07 PM

1,142 posts, read 2,810,902 times

Advertisements

Though I can't think of the best thing I've ever made, these come close. I made this last year and they were gone before I was even done making them! The are cool, sweet and delicious and very easy to make.

Peppermint Patties - All Recipes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2009, 03:18 PM

4,537 posts, read 9,173,983 times
People always ask about and ask for my chili after I've brought it to a church or office party. The only complaint I ever got was that my old crock pot is too small I use individual spices instead of a mix. It has evolved from a recipe I got off of the back of a can back in the 70's.

Old 12-03-2009, 03:58 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,924,127 times
The most amazing things that I make are a brined, roast turkey with herb butter and lasagna.

A few years ago, we discovered that the way to make sure everyone shows up for a family gathering is to announce that I am making a lasagna.

Old 12-03-2009, 04:03 PM

6,777 posts, read 13,524,581 times
i'm not sure? I make a mean Coquilles St. Jacque, but the recipe I make that everyone fawns over is my spaghetti and meatballs.

Old 12-03-2009, 04:13 PM
bjh

59,952 posts, read 30,279,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderbear View Post
The orange chocolate mocha brownies are the thing that always gets requested. I'm sick of making them!...
Orange and chocolate go so well together.

Care to share the recipe?

Old 12-03-2009, 06:04 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,924,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highway29south View Post
Though I can't think of the best thing I've ever made, these come close. I made this last year and they were gone before I was even done making them! The are cool, sweet and delicious and very easy to make.

Peppermint Patties - All Recipes
lol

One year, my FIL and two BILs came to visit. The next morning, I was supposed to donate 5 dozen cookies to the ship's bake sale.

My MIL played with the kids and I baked cookies. I wanted to make enough so the 4 "big boys" could have some too. Using a chocolate chip recipe that is AWESOME, I made 10 dozen chocolate chip and 4 dozen butterscotch chip, along with the brownies that they requested. I went to bed about 11pm. I got up at 5am to feed the baby and went to bag the cookies into groups of 3. (I had just put them in tupperware the night before).

They were ALL eaten. ALL of them.

I was more than a bit frustrated and threw together a couple pans of brownies. I ran out of flour and sugar, so I woke up my dh to let him know I was running to the grocery store. I was a bit angry and told him to remove the brownies from the oven when the timer went off in 10 minutes.

When I got back to the house 30 minutes later, my BILs were up and I only had a half of a pan of brownies leftover.

Very flattering, but VERY frustrating! I ended up buying cookies from the grocery bakery to donate - and got lots of rolled eyes from the other women and a few snide remarks when I explained what happened - I had made the mistake of bragging about my cookies ahead of time.

On the other hand, I felt slightly vindicated & smug when some of the single sailors we'd had over walked up to the table and asked to buy some of my cookies, but walked away empty handed when they were told that I hadn't actually baked any.

Old 12-04-2009, 04:07 AM

13,032 posts, read 24,591,266 times
The dishes I get the most compliments on are my Onion Soup ( I always use a sweet dessert wine and lots and lots of Emmental at the bottom of the bowl as well as gratined on top and caramelise my onions very slowly) and my Beef stew which everyone seems to love . And I am very popular when I make chocolate truffles for some reason....

I don't consider myself a great cook as I don't like cooking at all. I do it because I love eating but get no pleasure out of it.

Old 12-04-2009, 05:14 AM

16,175 posts, read 32,416,669 times
My husband loves the meatloaf, spaghetti sauce and beef stew but I also get requests from others for my red velvet cake and icing, macaroni salad and make ahead french toast.

Old 12-04-2009, 07:08 AM

264 posts, read 443,357 times
I know it sounds so simple... but seriously, my homemade pot of sauce and meatballs. It's just absolutely delicious and SO better than anything you can get in an Italian restaurant. Everyone LOVES it.

Old 12-04-2009, 09:22 AM

5,906 posts, read 5,729,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayneinspain View Post
French (flourless) chocolate cake...dark, silky, and devastatingly rich. I took one to work for an office party several years ago, and they couldn't believe it didn't come from a pastry shop.
By request, I have posted my recipe here:

//www.city-data.com/forum/recip...l#post11886691

Enjoy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink