Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 08:50 AM

3,279 posts, read 5,316,069 times

Advertisements

For some reason in the past 2 weeks or so, I've suddenly become addicted to cornbread. Maybe it's because this place was serving soup with cornbread on the side & I liked it, and so I decided to try making my own cornbread at home with the 50¢ and 70¢ packets you can buy (you know, add 2/3rds of a cup of milk & an egg to the mix, then cook in a sprayed pan for 425°F for 15 minutes or 400°F for 20 minutes). Anyway, I love the heck out of it, especially the yellow or "honey sweet" style. I swear it's like crack, ha ha. (I have made it every day almost for the past 2-odd weeks, once I even made it twice in that single day.)

My question is--is there a better way to buy more of it in large batches for making more at the time, as opposed to buying a whole bunch of 50¢ packages? I saw something in the store in a flour-looking bag that was called "corn meal mix" or something like that. I'm thinking something that I can then put in a Tupperware sealed-up container vs having loads of 50¢ packets laying around, but is otherwise made pretty much the same way.

LRH
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2013, 09:14 AM

3,972 posts, read 5,164,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
For some reason in the past 2 weeks or so, I've suddenly become addicted to cornbread. Maybe it's because this place was serving soup with cornbread on the side & I liked it, and so I decided to try making my own cornbread at home with the 50¢ and 70¢ packets you can buy (you know, add 2/3rds of a cup of milk & an egg to the mix, then cook in a sprayed pan for 425°F for 15 minutes or 400°F for 20 minutes). Anyway, I love the heck out of it, especially the yellow or "honey sweet" style. I swear it's like crack, ha ha. (I have made it every day almost for the past 2-odd weeks, once I even made it twice in that single day.)

My question is--is there a better way to buy more of it in large batches for making more at the time, as opposed to buying a whole bunch of 50¢ packages? I saw something in the store in a flour-looking bag that was called "corn meal mix" or something like that. I'm thinking something that I can then put in a Tupperware sealed-up container vs having loads of 50¢ packets laying around, but is otherwise made pretty much the same way.

LRH

Yes you can buy the corn meal and make your own corn bread. I like doing it this way since you can control how sweet or dry the mix is.

Also, buy a 9 or 10 inch cast iron skillet. Once you make cornbread in one of those, you'll never make it in the square steel pan again.

Old 10-16-2013, 11:12 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,058,385 times
I always make a huge batch of from scratch cornbread and freeze and reheat what I want later. Jiffy Mix and others are way too expensive- even on sale- if you are enjoying cornbread that much.

For left overs I butter it first, wrap in tin foil and heat for about 10-15 minutes at 350. It gets kind of steamed and is still moist.

Old 10-16-2013, 11:35 AM

537 posts, read 739,891 times
+1 on the cast iron skillet.

Get the best corn meal you can find. Use the best recipe you can find. Use bacon drippings. Avoid Jiffy mixes. After tasting home made cornbread it'll taste like foam insulation.

Old 10-16-2013, 12:07 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,861,727 times
This is the best cornbread recipe I've ever tried: Homesteader Cornbread Recipe - Allrecipes.com

It makes a big enough batch to satisfy your cornbread craving for a couple of days.

Old 10-16-2013, 02:27 PM

303 posts, read 539,834 times
I just buy the prepacked boxes, like you described. I like not having to measure anything besides the milk. But, I make mine in the cast iron. I don't know why but it tastes so much better that way.

Old 10-17-2013, 01:48 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,473,498 times
The .50 cent Jiffy box cornbread isn't nearly as good as making some of the better boxed ones, like Kusteaz Natural Honey cornbread mix. I like to make honey butter for my cornbread. Let a cube of butter get to room temp. and then mix it with a mixer and add in honey until thick. Refrigerate when not in use, it is very good.

Old 10-17-2013, 06:13 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,578,434 times
Here in the South most of us just buy the "cornmeal mix" in the bag (already mixed with self rising flour), I usually buy Martha White or White Lily. It's really simple, just mix it up with milk, salt, and an egg, it should be slightly thicker than pancake batter. You can even even fry it in a little oil to make fried cornbread patties.

^This will make regular cornbread though, not that sweet Jiffy type stuff.

Old 10-17-2013, 06:26 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,684,227 times
Alber's cornmeal for cornbread. My family has been using it for close to 100 years. I still make corn bread in the same 12in cast iron skillet my great grandmother used during the great depression.

Corn Meal - Albers®

Old 10-17-2013, 09:02 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,316,069 times
Frying pan suggestion. Are you saying bake it in the oven in a frying pan (cast iron skillet)?

Right now my favorite is "Morrison's Texas Style" and I like the "honey sweet" the best. I've also had some Gladiola by Martha White (yellow) and generic Food Club or Great Value, and the Mexican type, but my favorite is honey sweet. I've seen the Jiffy boxes but haven't tried those yet. With any of them, when it's hot out of the oven I take a stick of margarine and "mop" the cornbread while it's still hot, giving it 2-3 "passes" or so.

I like the idea of fried cornbread patties, I ate the snot out of those growing up, but the prospect of dealing with messy oil turns me off.

I should've caught on to this a long time ago, it's so easy to make, cheap, & is so great tasting. I use it a lot as a side for dishes I otherwise use bread or crescent rolls for. (On a side note, right now I'm sort of turned off of crescent rolls, it's so hard to find the "border" in the dough for unrolling it initially, similar to how it can be difficult to peel tape off from a roll of tape if it's stuck to itself. I've actually thrown out 2 packages outright in frustration for that very reason.)

HedgeHog_Mom If I follow that recipe, how would I make it taste like the "honey sweet" type?

LRH

Last edited by shyguylh; 10-17-2013 at 09:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink